Picture of the day. (Taken by you)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Picture of the day. (Taken by you)

Post by Lowgear »

It was a lucky guess as I've never heard a fox make any noise before but they've been lurking around lately due to seeing their tracks in the snow. I figured I'd look up the sounds they make first. It has similar qualities to a deer's warning call. I've heard the coyotes numerous times over the years but have yet to lay eyes on one.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 am I've heard the coyotes numerous times over the years but have yet to lay eyes on one.
Same here until the day one just sauntered right through my back yard like he owned the place :lol: My neighbor has chickens, so I grabbed a gun and went outside, but he had disappeared into the woods. I could hear him howling. The chickens all went berserk and clucked for an hour afterwards. :lol:

The new neighbor has a huge white furball of a dog. Put some black spots on him and, from a distance, he could pass for a baby calf. I used to hear coyotes howling literally every night but that stopped when the big dog arrived. He must have informed them that this is his neighborhood now and they need to keep the noise down after 9 :lol:

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Recently replaced a lava lamp that got broken as a kid. While shopping for the replacement, I found this cool photo.

- limestang
Attachments
IMG_4865.jpeg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

received_393337480050019.jpeg
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

One of many flooded classrooms from frozen broken sprinkler pipes. Had 5 of our schools with fire alarms and waterflow due to frozen pipes within one hour.
Attachments
20240114_201307_copy_1209x1612_1.jpg

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

mikea96 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:41 pm One of many flooded classrooms from frozen broken sprinkler pipes. Had 5 of our schools with fire alarms and waterflow due to frozen pipes within one hour.
Oh, man. Busted pipes are terrible. Hopefully all goes well with the solution/fix. Chin up!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

mikea96 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:41 pm One of many flooded classrooms from frozen broken sprinkler pipes. Had 5 of our schools with fire alarms and waterflow due to frozen pipes within one hour.
Man ! five in an hour , sounds like a bad batch of pipe ! Good luck .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 am
Man ! five in an hour , sounds like a bad batch of pipe ! Good luck .
You have to remember, pipes don't freeze in just one spot, they're freezing all over the place simultaneously, and a pipe only has so much stretch before it gives way. I've never seen a freeze situation with only one breach, it's usually multiple breaches, and it doesn't take long for a 1/2" to 1" line to dispense a significant amount of water.

Big mess to clean up, big mess to repair. Insurance carriers in my area are now requiring that homes be fitted with an automatic shutoff so that in the event of a breach the water will be turned off at the main, saving the massive damage repair bills. The kicker is, I don't live in an ice and snow area, we rarely get below freezing, when it does it's only for a few hours. We've only had pipe bursting issues 3 times in the 35 years I've lived here.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Halgar wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:14 am Big mess to clean up, big mess to repair. Insurance carriers in my area are now requiring that homes be fitted with an automatic shutoff so that in the event of a breach the water will be turned off at the main, saving the massive damage repair bills. The kicker is, I don't live in an ice and snow area, we rarely get below freezing, when it does it's only for a few hours. We've only had pipe bursting issues 3 times in the 35 years I've lived here.
The 2nd kicker is, they put new requirements in place which save on large repair bills, and then do not lower rates.
-Jerry-

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

123_1.jpg
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

R6cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:28 pm The 2nd kicker is, they put new requirements in place which save on large repair bills, and then do not lower rates.
But why would they do that? Tis the way of all insurance coverage. I have never had a medical insurance claim in my 50+ years of being on this planet, yet the basic plan that covers nothing, just to say I've got insurance, costs $1K a month. I've never had an accident claim on my auto insurance in 40+ years of driving, no tickets, and no points, yet still pay $1,200 a year on a 20 year old Suburban. I don't currently own a home, but am hearing that it's nearly impossible to get homeowner's insurance in California, forget about fire insurance if you live in a fire zone, or flood insurance if you're in a flood zone.

We pay to support the insurance companies, not to have adequate, or even reasonable, coverage or rates.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

20240203_171704.jpg
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Resized952024021295090718.jpg
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I need a forklift at home.

Had to remove these from a job site today and thought I’d bring them home to put in my way for the next ten years.
666481B4-BC44-4DD4-B31E-B13810E05250.jpeg
69995307-B526-4A8A-B522-D67A78284A6F.jpeg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Got my steps in today by walking one of the pedestrian bridges across the James River in downtown Richmond. The bridge I am walking on is actually an old railroad bridge, which was actually built on top of an adjustable dam that directed water to a canal used by the electric company, and produced power from 1901 - 1968. Those in charge these days want to try to erase Richmond's history as quickly as possible, but there is still a lot of it left.
Attachments
richmond skyline 2-22-24.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.