Nitro Thrasher restoration

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nitro thrasher

Nitro Thrasher restoration

Post by nitro thrasher »

Finally found a forum that caters to the vintage kyosho lovers. I've decided to start a thread of the restoration of my nitro thrasher because I can't seem to find anything about this model online. Hopefully it will help someone out in the future. This model was purchased by my later father in 1995 before he passed away. It sat until I was old enough to appreciate it and build it in 2005. I was still young at the time and drove it a few time and broke several parts. It sat until last month when I decided to rebuild and repair it. The stock CZ-R engine was gummed up and would move. I cleaned it but them deiced to purchase a brand new CZ-Z from ebay for a steal price. I was told it has 25% more power than the stock CZ-R. I did need new clutch shoes so I purchased stock 2 shoe ones but did come across some vintage Duratrax 3 and 4 shoe kits on ebay. Part number DTXC2540-3shoe and DTXC2541-4shoe. They advertise they are for the CZ-R but will they work for the CZ-Z as well?

I also purchases some parts that were broken on it such as wheel hubs and wheel shafts and am updating the radio and servos to some spare traxxas stuff I had. Another question I had was about the tires. 2 of them are dented in from sitting and I tried fixing them by boiling and using a heat gun but had no luck. Are there some other 2.2 monster truck tires that would work on these 3 piece wheels?

I have attached some pictures of my progress thus far. Please leave me some feedback and tips you might have. Thanks

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Nitro Thrasher restoration

Post by GoMachV »

Looks good! I had a lot of fun with these back in the day.

Foam inserts will help the tires out. Not sure about the compatibility.

The CZ Z is a lot of power for that truck. Make sure it has full bearings and I would look for the heavy duty two shoe
Clutch KC-45 (97014 is the updated part number) instead of the ab-15 you have. Just re-use your spring. They were notorious for melting. I was never a fan of the duratrax 3 and 4 shoe clutches personally. The KC is from the 1/8 scale cars and trucks

Stock up on belts if you can find them. They were the weak link and with more power will surely be a wear item. Also the ring and pinions can be upgraded to a hardened unit FD-62

Drive shafts, axles, arms etc are still out there, same as optima mid so not cheap but out there none the less
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

nitro thrasher

Post by nitro thrasher »

Ok great awesome information. I did forget to mention that I did replace all the bushings with bearings as well. Belts are a bit harder for me to find. Not sure where to get some more from. But i will for sure look into the clutch kit you recommended.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

If you can't find the belts, try to find the GP-10 (same chassis) center shaft conversion set, which includes a new chassis and top plate and does away with the belts.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Adding to that, the inferno 10 is the same chassis as the conversion and may be easier to find on the cheap

If you do that, you will have to find a way to lower the gearing, like a tiny clutch bell
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Being a fan of the Nitro Thrasher, I'm happy to see this restoration take place. I'm pretty sure you can use the tires, wheels, and hubs off of all the other Kyosho monster trucks that used these similar parts.

Big Boss
Big Brute
Double Dare
Hi-Rider Corvette

I don't remember the belts being much of an issue while driving mine back in the day, and I drove it excessively. It was also making a bit more power than stock as well. Maybe the open diffs helped. Back then I was too young to really know what a locked diff was. :P

nitro thrasher

Post by nitro thrasher »

That's the problem though. I can't find any vintage Kyosho tires and wheels anywhere. Well at least for a semi-reasonable price. I think I'm just going to try running the ones I have, and see if they straighten out.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

They won't on their own. Use foam inserts, and they will be fine.
Factory Works website

nitro thrasher

Post by nitro thrasher »

OK, thanks.

nitro thrasher

Post by nitro thrasher »

Which way should the piston be in my CZ-R engine. Should the hole in it be facing the exhaust port or should it be flipped around. I took it apart to clean it and now cannot remember.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You should not see the hole thru the exhaust port.
Factory Works website

nitro thrasher

Post by nitro thrasher »

OK great, thanks again.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

That's it? That's how this thread ends? Man, I was robbed... Sux
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Well if it's any consolation, I'll be working on mine... Eventually. :lol: I've been collecting a load of period correct hop-up items for it over the last few years.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Here's the manual for anyone interested. I spent a lot of time putting it together: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=49043

Wow, exactly 3 years down to the minute since my above post. :shock: What are the odds?! Apparently pretty good.