Possible Zebra RC10 CE... help requested

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cjack

Possible Zebra RC10 CE... help requested

Post by cjack »

Hi all,

I'm new to the vintage RC10 platform. My time as a kid was with Tamiya Grasshoppers, Hornets and Frogs. I always wanted a RC10 but the prices were way over our budget.

I was recently re-introduced to the vintage RC world which re-ignited my desire to own the unattainable from my childhood. I started looking locally and found this nice, gently used, RC10 CE the other day.

My initial plan was to buy a project to restore into a runner. But when I got this one home, I found it to be too nice for my original plan.

After reading the sticky on the different RC10 versions, I think I bought a mid-production Champion Edition. I'm new to these cars and don't want to jump to any conclusions though. Can anyone help me confirm my suspicion? Also, can anyone help me understand what, if anything, is aftermarket and should be replaced since now this car is likely going to be a shelf queen.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Chris
Attachments
20231215_092601.jpg
20231215_092636.jpg
20231215_092847.jpg
20231215_092642.jpg
20231215_092652.jpg
20231215_092715.jpg
20231215_092830.jpg

GreenBar0n

Re: Possible Zebra RC10 CE... help requested

Post by GreenBar0n »

Hard to say exactly what year you have there, but I would agree with '94-'95 zebra kit, '96 was the last year, and has all black plastics.

The late kits are great, and so is the Stealth transmission. Congrats!

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Tough to find car, congrats. Thanks for posting it up !
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

That's a nice buggy...
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I don't see any aftermarket parts. It's a nice clean stock buggy.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

cjack

Post by cjack »

Thanks everyone. Sometimes it's better to be luck than good.

Is the body a Protech II? I may try to find a new body and have it done like the box art.

Otherwise, I'll probably do a detailing of the mechanicals and leave it original.

cjack

Post by cjack »

GreenBar0n wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:30 pm Hard to say exactly what year you have there, but I would agree with '94-'95 zebra kit, '96 was the last year, and has all black plastics.

The late kits are great, and so is the Stealth transmission. Congrats!
Does the black aluminum shock caps help narrow down the production date? Also, is there any estimate of how many kits with these shocks, B&W suspension and Reedy Force II motor were produced?

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Very difficult to track down a build date. You have a Late RC10 CE that stores were selling discounted at that point. Racers were buying World's Kits or the "other" Brand :shock:

I would tear that car down and rebuild it paying close attention to the Manual. Looks like it may have been built by a beginner. Replace Bushings with Bearings and make sure all the correct hardware / fastener sizes are in the right place. Looks like the Turnbuckles all need to be adjusted to proper lengths and your rear arm mounts need to be swapped Left to Right. Who knows what else wrong is hidden?

It should clean up real nice!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Adding to the other comments add a chassis protector to that car. It's just such a nice car.

It looks like all you may really need is new shock oil and a nimh battery.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

cjack wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 pm Thanks everyone. Sometimes it's better to be luck than good.

Is the body a Protech II? I may try to find a new body and have it done like the box art.

Otherwise, I'll probably do a detailing of the mechanicals and leave it original.
Viper body.

IMO if you aren't going to run the buggy then there's no need to change out the factory bushings. Leave it as-is, fix the build issues, and clean it up along the way. Once you finish the project I'd imagine you will want another, and another, and soon you'll be junkies like most of us. :mrgreen:
The official TX SKUNK

cjack

Post by cjack »

RC10resto wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:30 pm Very difficult to track down a build date. You have a Late RC10 CE that stores were selling discounted at that point. Racers were buying World's Kits or the "other" Brand :shock:

I would tear that car down and rebuild it paying close attention to the Manual. Looks like it may have been built by a beginner. Replace Bushings with Bearings and make sure all the correct hardware / fastener sizes are in the right place. Looks like the Turnbuckles all need to be adjusted to proper lengths and your rear arm mounts need to be swapped Left to Right. Who knows what else wrong is hidden?

It should clean up real nice!
Thanks for the insight. That helps my decision to do a full disassembly.

I've never built a RC10 so didn't notice the errors. I know it was built by a 13 year old. I'm not surprised it's got issues. I will definitely scrutinize every part during the rebuild.

It's funny you mention the discount pricing of this particular kit. The price tag on the box seems to state otherwise. 🤷
Attachments
20231215_101612.jpg

cjack

Post by cjack »

jcwrks wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:44 am
cjack wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 pm Thanks everyone. Sometimes it's better to be luck than good.

Viper body.

IMO if you aren't going to run the buggy then there's no need to change out the factory bushings. Leave it as-is, fix the build issues, and clean it up along the way. Once you finish the project I'd imagine you will want another, and another, and soon you'll be junkies like most of us. :mrgreen:
Hahaha! You're right about that. I picked up a tote of used RC10 parts for that exact reason. I want to build some cars that I can run without worrying about damaging parts.

Thanks for clearing up what body the car has installed.

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

If you don't have the instruction manual there's a pdf copy straight from AE. You need the '92 version that is 4 pdf's.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/RC10/CE/manuals_setups/
The official TX SKUNK

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

That $500 could have been a package price with the car, radio system, battery, charger, etc. We always had package deals with the CE's when I worked at the hobby shop back in the day. Then there was an extra charge if you wanted us to assemble it and paint the body.

Even at that, $500 seems a bit on the the high side, but....

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I only mention replacing the bushings because they can stain the white parts and a car with bearings just fits together so much better :wink: