Ultrasonic cleaner

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

Ultrasonic cleaner

Post by Frankentruck »

Who here uses an ultrasonic cleaner? Has it been reliable? What size, what model, what features (heated, drain, etc), any dislikes? Do metal baskets leave any scars on nylon parts? Ever used it to clean a graphite or aluminum chassis?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Ultrasonic cleaner

Post by GoMachV »

I use the harbor freight unit, for the little I use one it fits the bill really well. Make sure to get one that is heated. I feel like the heat is really key. Mine came with a plastic "basket", more of a tray, and it didn't last long. I typically put my parts in a strainer and use that as my basket, seems to work fine and much easier to remove the parts. The nicer machines with a metal basket would be awesome but I couldnt justify the cost. If you will use it a lot, I'd go that route. I don't use chemicals in mine, just dawn and water.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I use the small Harbor Freight one as well, with 50/50 water and Simple Green Pro (the purple SG is aluminum safe).

I put small parts and hardware in a stainless mesh tea ball so that they don't scatter.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I got this one on Amazon after my HFT model just stopped working one day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1D3VBCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I think it does a little better job than the HFT one, but that may just be in my head. I like that it is all metal, and the timer is basically limitless. With the all metal design, it is loud; that is my one con. I was thinking when I was shopping that I would want a drain, but it really isn't a big deal to flip over and empty. I also use purple Simple Green Pro, but at a lower ratio most of the time; around 3 or 4 parts to one.

Edit: I looked it up and I purchased that Amazon unit 11 months ago, and it has worked great that whole time. I don't think the HFT one made it a year.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Also have the small Harbor Freight unit here. I use the regular Simple Green concentrated formula in about a 5:1 to 6:1 ratio with water, I just pour it in and eyeball it. It certainly has worked better than Dawn dish soap for me. It's well worth the cost. But then again, I used a Black Friday special coupon ($69.99) last year when I got it. But for $10 less, I'd honestly rather go with that Amazon unit Robb posted in that link.
-Jerry-

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

I have a large unbranded one from china I use in my garage. Most of the parts I clean in it are smaller pieces. I do not fill it with cleaner. I just have distilled water in mine. I put my parts and cleaner of choice in a small plastic bottle or jar like a small peanut butter jar. fill the jar with the cleaner of choice for the project an seal it up and toss it in. This way I save money on cleaner and time cleaning the ultra sonic afterwards. If you have small or delicate parts this method may be something to think about. I have never had any part that I cleaned in the ultrasonic damaged by the cleaning process. Imo you are more likely to damage an item by using the wrong cleaner for the job.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

I have this one here https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064225214?pid=225214 I have not used it for RC parts but I use it for cleaning brass for reloading as well as cleaning gun parts such as pistol barrels, AR bolts, and other small gun parts. I could not be happier with it. If you've never had an ultrasonic cleaner before then you will be amazed at how well they work for cleaning small parts in no time at all. I can put a totally filthy part in it and set it for 480 seconds and it will come out looking brand new. Mine has a plastic tray and I have not had any issues with the tray. It is heated, as someone above mentioned that's an important feature to look for when you are looking at units.

OldSchoolGuy
Approved Member

Post by OldSchoolGuy »

I have a small one that a friend gave me. It's all stainless steel with a variety of baskets and trays. I have never cleaned anything directly in it however. I always put my parts in a ziploc bag, toss in a little Purple Power degreaser and the rest water. Then the bag goes in the ultrasonic cleaner which is nearly full of water already. The ziploc bag keeps all of the grunge that comes off localized and there is no mess to clean up in the cleaner itself. Just dump the clean water out when done.

They are very effective at cleaning things and I have also done some electronic parts in it. Mostly what I use it for is small metal fasteners. I did do some damage to something once. My wife was complaining about some of her jewelry being a bit dirty and hard to clean so I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner for about 10 minutes with a little soap. In only that short amount of time, it took off quite a bit of the gold colored plating and ruined everything. Luckily it was only cheap costume jewelry but I owed my wife a new set!

XXWoodmanXX

Post by XXWoodmanXX »

morrisey0 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:10 pm I got this one on Amazon after my HFT model just stopped working one day. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1D3VBCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I think it does a little better job than the HFT one, but that may just be in my head. I like that it is all metal, and the timer is basically limitless. With the all metal design, it is loud; that is my one con. I was thinking when I was shopping that I would want a drain, but it really isn't a big deal to flip over and empty. I also use purple Simple Green Pro, but at a lower ratio most of the time; around 3 or 4 parts to one.

Edit: I looked it up and I purchased that Amazon unit 11 months ago, and it has worked great that whole time. I don't think the HFT one made it a year.

I've got the same one, just with a drain/valve on it.

I love it. But one thing I've noticed over the yrs is, if you use it on cast alum. parts, it leaves "ghosting' marks on the surface from where it made contact in the stainless basket. So you need to be careful with how long you use the US transducers on some alum parts.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

LowClassCC wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:28 am I do not fill it with cleaner. I just have distilled water in mine. I put my parts and cleaner of choice in a small plastic bottle or jar like a small peanut butter jar. fill the jar with the cleaner of choice for the project an seal it up and toss it in. This way I save money on cleaner and time cleaning the ultra sonic afterwards.
Gun guys do this as well. They put the parts and cleaner in a ziplock bag and fill the rest of the bin with water. Saves cleaner and also eliminates the need to clean the bin.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Ok ok I put it off enough, finally ordered the 10L Vevor off their website. Quite a bit cheaper than Amazon and there is a 5% off coupon that helps. $120 shipped vs $159 on Amazon. Should be about able to dunk an entire 1/12 scale in it 🤣
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My Vevor 3L just died this evening. I got like 6 uses out of it. Time to try out the warranty exchange process. ☹️
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh no that's not good
Factory Works website

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

How long and hot do you all clean nylon parts?

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Usually about 8-16 min depending on how skanky the parts are.
-Jerry-