So, what did you do RC today?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Re: So, what did you do RC today?

Post by morrisey0 »

I have been literally scared to dive deep into this Tami 3 speed for way too long, but this morning was the time for it for some reason. Replaced all bushings for bearings, except for two. Haven't put motor on it yet, but it spins freely in all three "gears." Spur gear was shot, and it is kinda unavailable, so had to print one up.
PICKUP 3.jpg
PICKUP 4.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

After dealing with a (different) trash seller on Ebay, I finally got a Brat body for this one. One of my favorite sellers got a couple and I snatched one up.

Even though he included the correct Brat mounts, I used the longer Blackfoot mounts to slightly raise the body. Since this one has truck wheels and tires, it needed the extra clearance. Still nowhere near as high as a Mud Blaster.
Screenshot_20230708_160443_Gallery.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Fixed the Axle on the JRX Pro and mounted a wing. Wing kinda looks like crap though, might have to paint a new one later.
IMG_20230708_191002209.jpg

Then I decided I'm going to test my luck with the LXT tomorrow, mounted up a mod motor, repaired an old shell and tossed it on. Hopefully I don't turn the Diff into putty, But I'll go easy on the throttle.
IMG_20230708_191041519.jpg
IMG_20230708_152536874.jpg
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

20230708_204939.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Went down to Draper, Utah for the Salt City Clash no prep drag race where one of our team members won the whole dang thing! $8100 cash. Super fun day!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1688881602995.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

Cut, painted and fitted a Penguin RC undertray and wing to the Optima.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Did some run this morning indoor at the club nearby. 1 pack passed with  the M05, and I damaged the printed body mount. Need to reprint some or find better solution...
Back home I finalized the design for the Marui 2WD transmission (it will be a strong one) :-)
WIth teh Super Wheelie, I got a working 2.4G small remote with a RX. I swap the RX in the Hornet, and will give it a go as spare ride we can hand to some kids around to play when we are around playing with rc cars at vintage event. Hornet and Hoppers are always good and funny to run, and it could be a good start for kids to play with (as matter of fact, I don't use the car anyore, as I prefer the Lunchbox for the same type of usage)...
​​​​​​​Image
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

scr8p wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:11 am 20230708_204939.jpg
Ding dang, that must've been a blast!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

The plan was to get axles under my Landy today, but due to printing the wrong parts, the plan changed to getting axles under my Hilux.
Attachments
PICKUP 5.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

After dinner I saw a group of people running a parking lot RC road course. I stopped and talked with them a bit. They race twice a month, but everyone runs TT02 cars with Traxxas Titan 12T 550 motors. Sort of a spec class. They said I might be able to run my TC3 (even though they didn't know what it is) as long as I run the same motor. I have a Titan 12T motor, but my chassis has a cross rib I'd have to trim to make it fit. I'm not sure I want to do that. Hmmm....
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I had a silly idea to make a completely indestructible 3d printed RC car mostly made of rubbery TPU with minimum of parts possible .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:15 pm I had a silly idea to make a completely indestructible 3d printed RC car mostly made of rubbery TPU with minimum of parts possible .
I can't say that I did not have this silly idea as well... Imagine transmission in TPU/TPE which acts as slipper clutch :-D
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:48 pm
Dadio wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:15 pm I had a silly idea to make a completely indestructible 3d printed RC car mostly made of rubbery TPU with minimum of parts possible .
I can't say that I did not have this silly idea as well... Imagine transmission in TPU/TPE which acts as slipper clutch :-D
One piece with both top arms with live joints in TPU, maybe a pipe frame chassis in TPU as well .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:41 pm After dinner I saw a group of people running a parking lot RC road course. I stopped and talked with them a bit. They race twice a month, but everyone runs TT02 cars with Traxxas Titan 12T 550 motors. Sort of a spec class. They said I might be able to run my TC3 (even though they didn't know what it is) as long as I run the same motor. I have a Titan 12T motor, but my chassis has a cross rib I'd have to trim to make it fit. I'm not sure I want to do that. Hmmm....
A local club about 2 hours from me has TT02 Spec and TT02 Mod classes. Stock you have to run a stock Tami ESC and silver can. Mod allows a couple more ESCs and a couple more 21.5T motors. Both classes 2S max. I have a TT02R kit I bought when it was on sale at one point, and I am thinking about building it and running next year. The club being two hours away though, and racing on Sundays (Sundays + Summer = Boat), may be too much of a PITA. I think I may try to drum up some local support. It's cheap and can be run in a simple parking lot, so should be able to make something happen.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Spent a little time in the evenings this week learning Tinkercad. It is elementary, but SO MUCH better than Sketchup for this type of thing. I should have done this years ago! The grouping / ungrouping, aligning, easy beveled edges, etc, is just so much easier!

So, this is my first non-Sketchup design. I don't have the actual part, so I am just guessing on most of it. All I really know is the diameter and length of the motor it is going on. Eager to get it printed, but the machine is occupied for the next 15 hours or so.

edit: as I posted this, I realized I didn't like the angle on the top "cone" piece of the part. Literally, 45 seconds to ungroup that piece from the rest, and change the top radius to be a bit wider, and group the whole thing back together. That would have taken me forever in Sketchup.
design 2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg