Mark 1 Ultima ( turbo?)

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cas22
Approved Member

Mark 1 Ultima ( turbo?)

Post by cas22 »

This original ultima came with a titanium color spare chassis, that i think came with the turbo ultima?
But it has gold shocks which iluckily have a full set of platinums.
No sway bars, and a glass rear shock tower, but an aluminium front tower?
Also it has non ajustable upper links
I like how people fit shorty lipo's in the chassis now, may look along those lines. I think this ones getting muddy
Attachments
20201105_143731.jpg

cas22
Approved Member

Re: Mark 1 Ultima ( turbo?) cheap rebuld

Post by cas22 »

Delta lockdown in New Zealand, time to play with my budget ultima rebuild.
Decided to crack open the old MK1 ultima rebuild, having trouble getting parts in NZ so attempting to use up as many parts as possible.
Hand cut carbon 3mm top deck,
removed battery tabs as shorty will be running along the chassis.
replaced the steering posts with Lazer ZX5 items 25mm x 5mm with M3 Threads both ends, and looking into ZX5 rear carriers on ultima wishbones with 2mm spacers on hinge pins.
re fastening with stainless cap screws everywhere possible, custom rear gearbox clamp
I have some kyosho platinum shocks, and was amazed to find an aftermarket Thorp ball diff when disassembled, gearbox smooth now after some bearing attention.
Mini servo fits nicely, just figuring out how to clamp the battery down and universal drives for the rear.
Attachments
20210829_155501.jpg
20210829_155439.jpg
20210829_155423.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Mark 1 Ultima ( turbo?)

Post by Dadio »

So cool when you find little surprises like a Thorp diff hidden away 8) , nice build !
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Evening all, in Level 4 lockdown here so almost everything is shut, have to make do with what i can find while gear snails across to New Zealand.
Ordered some rear universals for the ultima but the shocks were the wrong size, and I'm hoping the new steering bell crank will fit too.
In the mean time carried on with my Turbo ultima, the rear motor guard was seriously damaged so bead blasted it back to a uniform matt silver to match the "wing mounts", which are repurposed and scotch brighted standoffs I found in my box.
Cleaned up the platinum shocks and working nicely, however the "shock end" part "M" is pretty scratched away and id really like to source some replacements if anyone can help, please pm me.
Nothing on shapeways, and they are a weird one off threaded male insert.
The original tower i cut must of been an original ultima, and was too short for the front platinums so i made up a new one, again had to make do with a file and patience. Would take ages to source so cut one myself using the original as a starter jig.
Attachments
ultima tower 1.png

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Eventually cut into a nice size, used an older schumacher tower for the hole spacing and found some nice titanium cup washers to try and compliment the duralinium anodizing the turbo has.
Also found some threaded black alloy spacers for the shock spacing and anodised m3 nylocks, which i also fitted to the rear.
Fitted titanium turnbuckles where possible but may look at replacing with 4.8mm balls and cups from my late model RB5, again, hard to find stock at the moment, quite like the cap screws now, even self tapping m3 for the bulkhead.
You can see the carbon bracket for the rear motor guard i cut up and the bead blasted finish on the guard, it was really bad previously, almost binned it.
Attachments
new tower rear 1.png
new tower front.jpg

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Still a bit to do, looking at a better battery hold in device, steering turnbuckles, would like to update the steering bel cranks and waiting on some m4 countersunk cap screws for the chassis., Then body, paint and some vintage tekin electronics.
Just glad i pushed on with the platinum shocks, trying to keep it close to correct, obviously i will be using it too.
Also if anyone knows a reproduction bumper?, or is it the same on the re re?, id like to replace it as its been drilled and is a bit rough, supposed to be a relatively cheap rebuild this one, so got the stop soon. (famous last words)
Attachments
6.6.png
to date front 1.png
to date plan 1.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Very nice work!!

I've just pulled a couple examples and the rere bumper is actually a little smaller than the original version.
Of course, it will still fit but I'm surprised that it isn't an exact copy. Anyway, nearly every other molded rere part is same as original - the transmission cases being the other exception that comes to mind.
Doug

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Hi all, update, finally, seems we never get enough time to work on these projects,
so baby steps,
-New 3 racing universals in the rear, and pin/clamp 12mm hex drives to suit,
-Steering had some vertical slop which i took out with some anodized cup washers to match the turbo "duralinium" color chassis.
The titanium is a close match so ran with that in a few places, the M4 cap screws finally turned up for the front top plate screws and the countersunk chassis screws on the bulkheads.
- M3 X 33 stainless cap screws for the rear gearbox. Fully cap screwed now, make a huge difference in looks, no more black PK Screws.
-fitted the titanium linkages, and servo linkage
-found some treaded balls to replace the 5.8mm balls, replaced some thrashed ball ends with Ultima RB5 parts.
-The mini servo is a good fit but I'm worried about its reliability, Torque is ok with 4kg, the original standard Futaba S148 had less than that, but the servo saver may be too tight and strip gears, wait and see when i race it.
- 2.2" Rims turned up from JC Racing in the UK, may have to swap them out as some classes here in NZ insist on1.9" rims, very hard to get rubber for those now, but Schumacher UK still stock some.
-Found some Platinum shock parts on ebay in Spain, so I can retain the factory shocks, they were not in good condition as the lower ball connector was snapped and worn away. There's a link in my posts for the vendor, they have lots of old kyosho bits if anyone's keen.
Found some nice black threaded standoffs for the top shock mounting too, came out of a yokomo steering kit.Image[/img][/img]
The vintage class here runs a standard Mabuchi RS540 stock motor, so with the 5000mAh LiPo i can comfortably run a full race day without recharging, hence the mounting, also used a Lazer zx-5 rear bumper and knurled spacer to hold it in nice and tight.

Next steps are to fit some electronics and get it painted, just torn as to use period electronics or modern esc and receiver, the new stuff is so much smaller, but i like keeping it period correct too.
Attachments
20210822_121348.jpg
20210822_122159.jpg
20220331_142147.jpg
20211021_224836.jpg
20211021_224621.jpg
20211021_192617.jpg

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

double up

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Finally got the platinum shock rod ends I have been waiting for (shock end" part "M), weird male thread units.
and some washers and o rings to rebuild them, as you can see the wear on the rod ends meant they popped off the ball ends too easily.
Hopefully i can sort this now, then paint and radio.
They came from EBAY in Spain, not cheap, but they have stock, and i have been looking for a while.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124923636124
Attachments
platinums 2.png
platinums 1.png

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Found some rere golds here in NZ so finally getting closer to finishing.
Appreciate its a turbo but liked the pro decals much more, JC Racing 2.2" wheels
Attachments
20230611_090128.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I like it, looks awesome.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Very neat buggy and the concept for the body colours is top

cas22
Approved Member

Post by cas22 »

Appreciate the kind words gents, always inspired by other builds on here too.