MCI motor labels

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Frankentruck

MCI motor labels

Post by Frankentruck »

I received an order from MCI and in that were some replacement Twister motor labels. Looking over my motors and the original labels, I see that the red label has a bolder font than the silver label. MCI appears to have recognized this, but their fonts are too bold compared to the original labels. I've shared this picture with them.
PXL_20220622_150126954~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Re: MCI motor labels

Post by juicedcoupe »

The different material and process might require it.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I think juicedcoupe is right. Even though Nathaneal does an excellent job with their labels, I actually prefer the very slight variances between them from originals. That way reproductions can be differentiated by the trained eye.

Ed, you'll notice this with the Le Mans 480T when it shows up at your doorstep.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

There's some other variation with the labels that makes them distinguishable from originals. The label is slightly narrower and has larger corner radius. I'm ok with the minor differences, but for a font that is simple like this one, the letter thickness should be closer to correct. I don't think this has to do with production capability. I think it's just a production mistake. If it's intentional, it should be advertised as such. I really don't want to replace a damaged original label with a new label that makes the motor look like an obvious knockoff. The red label is in that category, in my opinion.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Let us know what he has to say. If they can make the font thickness more similar to the original, I'll make sure to order a few more since I have a few Twisters motors. I plan on placing an order soon anyways.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Nathaniel said he'd make some adjustments in his next batch of Twister labels, and he'd include the new version in my next order. Seems reasonable to me.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I haven't gotten around to ordering anything new from MCI yet, but found a good Reedy modified that could use a replacement label I bought from MCI. I like having the original label to keep with the motor after replacement. The Reedy label can definitely be spotted as reproduction side by side with an original, but it does make a nice restoration replacement.
PXL_20220813_134624721.jpg

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Nice for posting side-by-side representations of the labels. Within the past few months I've picked up a couple AE green label modifieds which could use new labels. Never occurred to me to keep the old labels, but that's a great idea. I have a laundry list of replacement motor labels to get, among other stuff. My next MCI/TBG order could be a hefty one if I order the full list.
-Jerry-

TravelinTravis
Approved Member

Post by TravelinTravis »

Thanks for this post. It made me drag my Twister MCI labels out and take a better look at em. Received these about a year or so back...seem to be like yours as far as the font goes. Mostly happy with em...but the faded TWIS... and ...RS on the gold label (top & bottom) really grinds my gears now that I look at it. Could be because they've been laying around for a while, but I've kept em stored well and don't ever remember seeing faded print on OG Twister labels...just damage and/or peeling. Oh well, better than a black can I guess.
20220813_163246-min.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Today I received a batch of labels from Ultrahive. I haven't bought another batch from MCI but thought I'd give Ultrahive a try. He did an excellent job! Very pleased with how they all turned out.
PXL_20230304_211137288~2.jpg
My 2 relabeled Twisters are right at home with the originals now.
PXL_20230304_212913789.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Ultrahives attention to detail can't be beat.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Frankentruck wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:13 pm Today I received a batch of labels from Ultrahive. I haven't bought another batch from MCI but thought I'd give Ultrahive a try. He did an excellent job! Very pleased with how they all turned out.
PXL_20230304_211137288~2.jpg
My 2 relabeled Twisters are right at home with the originals now.
PXL_20230304_212913789.jpg
Holy moses, ya get what ya pay for. Not meaning to knock MCI at all, because Ultrahives are certainly pricey, but damn they're spot on.
-Jerry-

winner_evo
Approved Member

Post by winner_evo »

Frankentruck wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:13 pm Today I received a batch of labels from Ultrahive. I haven't bought another batch from MCI but thought I'd give Ultrahive a try. He did an excellent job! Very pleased with how they all turned out.
How did you purchase from him, via his ebay listings or?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My first purchase from him was by his eBay listing. That's how I would recommend.