Demon motor thread - no others please

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

V12
Approved Member

Demon motor thread - no others please

Post by V12 »

Thread dedicated to the wonderful motors of Nick Adams (RIP) of Demon Power Products.
No other motors please.
There are pictures and discussion about Demon motors spread over the forum.
But it´s quite a bit difficult to follow so I would like to concentrate everything about these motors here.

I will start with the motor I bought from Nick at the 1985 Offroad Euros.
I had a Demon Reedy Silver Dot (Double 21T) before, which I bought as used from my race buddy.
My very first real modified motor for the RC10.
I used to know Nick since a couple of years because my race buddy was selling Demon motors, speedos and batteries.
And we had visiting Nick I think since around 1979 or 1980. Well for racing 1/12 scale.
Now at the 1985 Offroad Euros Nick received a box of team motors from Mike Reedy ... and I was the first to notice that.
Well of course I had to ask Nick if he maybe would have an extra motor for me ...
Yes he had one for me so I got that Green A Dot (Quad 19T).

The Demon motor labels of course never mentioned anything about Reedy, but if the label said `Modified' it was a Reedy.
Well that´s for the early Demon Yokomo motors.
The Silver and Gold Dot motors were available as Reedy and Demon versions and exactly the same wind.
But the Green A seems to be a Demon only version. At least I never heard of a Reedy Green A.
I´m also not sure if that Green A ever was sold to the public. But maybe someone have seen a Demon ad about this.
Time frame is 1985/1986.

The label says Offroad Demon Power BRCA Legal | Modified |Special.
| means the label is cutted at this position. This means there was no label with these wordings but three parts of labels were used.
There was no phone number at this early label.
Attachments
img_3667.jpg
img_3666.jpg
img_3665.jpg
img_3664.jpg
img_3663.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Re: Demon motor thread - no others please

Post by V12 »

Windings at the commutator are tied. Please see picture 3.

This motor was one of my fastest motors ever and hard to make runtime. But this was also when batteries were 1200s.
My Silver Dot has gone, but I still have the Green A at my collection. And never will leave my home.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Another Demon motor based on the Yokomo can was the Demon Pink.
I received this motor from Nick in I think 1985 also. It was his personal prototype motor.
He tried this motor in the RC10 and told me it´s not good but I should try at my car and our races.

Beside the RC10 I bought also a Hirobo Zerda which was my first 4WD offroad car then. Got the mid motor conversion right from the beginning. So gear drive for the motor replacing the first stage belt drive. Sometimes I was competing at very small tracks and the Pink was perfect there. Enough power and lots of runtime.
Yokomo Modified can and Double 22T machine wound armature.

The label says Offroad Demon Power BRCA Legal Double Wind Special.
No phone number again.

I´m not sure if this motor was released to the public, maybe using a different dot or name.
Unfortunately I can´t locate the armature now. But I still have the can.
Attachments
img_3669.jpg
img_3668.jpg
img_3670.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Great thread - thanks for this. Was an informative read. I was quite surprised to read the early Reedy link as I was not aware of that, but i have just had a skim through of some early Demon adverts and located some Reedy listings with the typical coloured Reedy Dot nomenclature along with some letters. My main interest in the earlier Demon adverts is to source info on the various ESC offerings so i never really paid much attention to the motors listed.
reedy comment.jpg
86 ad.jpg
I myself have quite a few Demon motors from various eras, as well as some experimental motors which came directly from Nick, and also from team Demon drivers. Nick used to send his motors to shops who issued them to their team drivers and often with re-labelling to reflect the shop or team sponsorship.

I have posted up the experimental alloy winding armature i received in another thread, and also the R&M Models Team Demon motor which was built for team Demon driver Chris Boakes and was machined to take twin bearings at the endbell end. I also have a TQ Models Demon motor - the TQ Models team drivers all being sponsored by Demon motors. Such badge-engineering was commonplace at that time.

I have a few early Yokomo-spec Demon motors, and it is noted that Nick actually began stamping D E M O N lettering around the bearing. Have your examples got this feature? I also have a couple with Yokomo-esq endbells but with Sagami lettering. I will post up a few examples below. Some of mine are from the early silver Yokomo can era, as well as some of the short-lived red base-plate Sagami format.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Here's a 35T 1/12th motor in a silver can format with Sagami lettered endbell. This came from JImmy Davis and was a team-issued motor. Not sure what the green dot signifies?

Interesting that this motor also has bronze bushings as opposed to the grey graphite bushings Nick typically went for in his motors.
35T green001.jpg
35T green002.jpg
35T green003.jpg
I have also come across some original; 35T red prism label strips which confirms these thin strip details were indeed separate parts added to the motors below a more generic label section.
35t.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Silver can Single HT with graphite bushings and crude Demon stamping around a Yokomo endbell.
ht001.jpg
ht002.jpg
ht003.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Unsoldered never run silver can Mister T Special, again with a crudely stamped Demon Yokomo endbell and graphite bushings.
mister t special 001.jpg
mister t special 002.jpg
mister t special 003.jpg
mister t special 004.jpg
mister t special 004.jpg (23.69 KiB) Viewed 927 times
mister t special 004.jpg
mister t special 004.jpg (23.69 KiB) Viewed 927 times

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

From late '86 to early '87 Nick used a red base-plate Sagami design along with his now bespoke Sagami Demon endbells. I have a few examples of these.

22D
red 22D 001.jpg
red 22D 002.jpg
red 22D 003.jpg
Mister T
red mister t 001.jpg
red mister t 002.jpg
red mister t 003.jpg
'Rory Cull' Double Wind Modified (came in Rory Cull's RRC Series winning Hotshot - he was sponsored by Demon at that time). I believe this to be a 22D based on the advert.
rory cull double wind 001.jpg
ad.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Race Motor 21D
race 21D 001.jpg
race 21D 002.jpg
race 21D 003.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

My 16Triple modified from 1987. Freshly rebuilt and still going strong.
16t 001.jpg
16t 002.jpg
16t 003.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Unused 27T standard with 30degrees advance and gold endbell jewellery. These two features identify this as a later spec standard motor.
27gold 001.jpg
27gold 002.jpg
27gold 003.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Quad Wind with original paperwork.
Demon quad 001.jpg
Demon quad 002.jpg
Demon quad 003.jpg
Demon quad 004.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Later gold label 27turn standard with 30degree advance. No idea what the sticker signifies?
gold label 27 001.jpg
gold label 27 002.jpg
gold label 27 003.jpg
gold label 27 004.jpg
gold label 27 005.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Later gold label Power King 12Double.
power king 12D 001.jpg
power king 12D 002.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My band of demons is small, but they still make an evil hiss when spun. I just don't know much about them other than they are cool as heck. The one with the small label makes me wonder if it has been trimmed down to remove all text.
PXL_20221201_142547312.jpg
PXL_20221201_142621320.jpg
PXL_20221201_142748660.jpg
The gold label Power King is the only one with a removable end bell. It's a single wind and has 84313223 on the armature.
PXL_20221201_143127046.jpg
PXL_20221201_143205239.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"