Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by Halgar »

I watch a lot of the Gale Banks vids on engine tech. While he is a Duramax guy through and through, he has a lot of products for Cummins too. His knowledge, whether talking about gas or diesel engines, puts ALL of the manufacturers to shame! All the manufacturers can do is choke horsepower with mind numbing, restrictive smog controls, completely ignoring what an engine needs to run smooth, clean, and produce massive HP. Banks looks at what the engine is telling him and tunes it to it's optimal performance WITHOUT all the factory smog controls AND still keeps it 50 state smog compliant AND has more horsepower than anyone knows what to do with.

How is it some old guy (and his team, of course) has figured this stuff out but the manufacturers that are well over 100 years old have absolutely no clue?
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Halgar wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 pm How is it some old guy (and his team, of course) has figured this stuff out but the manufacturers that are well over 100 years old have absolutely no clue?
Its not that the manufacturer doesn't know, its that they have to deal with constraints other than just emissions.

NVH compliance is one of the biggest ones. Not everyone wants a loud exhaust, noisy CAI, or annoying pop-off valve. People who outfit their trucks with aftermarket items accept these things. (I put a Kooks exhaust on my last truck and nearly immediately regretted it).

Another thing to consider. Bank (and others) wouldn't have such an easy time if the manufacturer didn't overbuild the engines to begin with.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:28 am
Halgar wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 pm How is it some old guy (and his team, of course) has figured this stuff out but the manufacturers that are well over 100 years old have absolutely no clue?
Its not that the manufacturer doesn't know, its that they have to deal with constraints other than just emissions.

NVH compliance is one of the biggest ones. Not everyone wants a loud exhaust, noisy CAI, or annoying pop-off valve. People who outfit their trucks with aftermarket items accept these things. (I put a Kooks exhaust on my last truck and nearly immediately regretted it).

Another thing to consider. Bank (and others) wouldn't have such an easy time if the manufacturer didn't overbuild the engines to begin with.
This exactly. Not trying to be an a-hole, but It's a bit ignorant to give a 3rd aftermarket party all the credit when all they did, to put it simply, was uncork an already excellent overly built piece of architecture. I know sometimes it's easy to oversee the fact that manufactures' almost always do what they do on purpose and with reason.
-Jerry-

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I think we need to re-direct our irritations at the California Air Resources Board (CARB)
Hope you're doin' something fun.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Turn Signal / Indicators first, and then proceed to brake a few seconds later.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

R6cowboy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:35 am
juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:28 am Its not that the manufacturer doesn't know, its that they have to deal with constraints other than just emissions.

This exactly. Not trying to be an a-hole, but It's a bit ignorant to give a 3rd aftermarket party all the credit when all they did, to put it simply, was uncork an already excellent overly built piece of architecture. I know sometimes it's easy to oversee the fact that manufactures' almost always do what they do on purpose and with reason.
Thank you to both of you. 8)

I'm not saying that the auto industry is ignorant, however, it is a fact that they will over engineer solutions to a problem, rather than just dealing with the problem. I don't know what the acronyms of NVH or CAI mean, and I also know that the regulations for engineering and building a vehicle are astronomical these days. That being said, the old adage of "kiss", or "keep it simple, stupid!" still apply. Rather than give an engine what it needs, let's over engineer systems to mitigate the problems that are created by arbitrary restrictions. Problems caused by actuarial accounting, problems caused by the reach for the most money possible for the least possible expense.

Being a businessman myself, I can completely understand the need for profit to sustain the life of a company. The rub lays in the execution, that profits outweigh the consequences, which is what our modern world has become, profit over ALL other factors. Quality of product has significantly dropped while profits have soared!
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

"NVH" noise, vibration, and harshness. Most people don't want their $100K vehicle to be noisy and sound like ass. Most will never be modified.

"CAI" is cold air induction. Ever hear a vehicle with a loud sucking sound (typically by the fender)? That is a CAI. Some make a little more power, most are so-so.

Also keep in mind that many engines are used for multiple applications, especially diesels. For example, Ford uses variations of the same engine in F-250's up to F-650's, as well as busses and other things. Why would they design five or six different engines with one can cover the spectrum?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

My wife!

"You are working so much that we don't get to spend any time together"

So I actually get a couple days off before Christmas. Basically, two days to get everything done this month.

"Since you are off, I told the kids that we will keep the two year old, so they can go out"

So I now have a half of a day to do everything.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:46 am My wife!

"You are working so much that we don't get to spend any time together"

So I actually get a couple days off before Christmas. Basically, two days to get everything done this month.

"Since you are off, I told the kids that we will keep the two year old, so they can go out"

So I now have a half of a day to do everything.
Sounds all too familiar.
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

That it takes Amazon 10 days to refund my money, after my package has been lost for 10 days. Yet, it only took them 30 seconds to charge my card.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:54 am That it takes Amazon 10 days to refund my money, after my package has been lost for 10 days. Yet, it only took them 30 seconds to charge my card.
Another Amazon gripe. When the driver decides to just toss your package onto the lawn instead of your doorstep. I had thought someone littered again but it was just my countersink bits sit on my lawn in the rain...
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Oh I’m in if we are talking Amazon

What’s up with the 5-10 day delivery. Used to be two days. The soonest I can get anything I order today is 8 days out. We also don’t get Saturday or Sunday deliveries.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

GoMachV wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:01 am Oh I’m in if we are talking Amazon

What’s up with the 5-10 day delivery. Used to be two days. The soonest I can get anything I order today is 8 days out. We also don’t get Saturday or Sunday deliveries.
....and yet Amazon Prime costs more

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

GoMachV wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:01 am Oh I’m in if we are talking Amazon

I still get many things within a reasonable time, but I'm not too far from a hub.

But they have also started leaving the final delivery to the post office for lots of stuff, which normally adds another day or so.

I still get Saturday deliveries often. Not always, but I still get a few Sunday deliveries as well. I guess it depends on what the local drivers are willing to do.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Spent an hour on the phone with Amazon just now. I was looking at the benefits to prime business and one was 2 day shipping on most items. Ok start the trial… guess what? Same exact wait. I have items that I purchased Thursday that haven’t shipped yet. If I were to cancel today and reorder, the expected date is identical. The 12th. 8 days away. So what have they been doing the last 4 working days? They are sitting for a week before sending it. I had explained it to the lady and she said maybe the item is the problem. I told her pick any item that I can have in two days and send me the link. She found a power cord, showed on her end I would have it Thursday (tomorrow). Nope, on my end.. next Thursday the 12th (faster than my average lately though). Wtf. Definitely won’t be paying an additional $70/yr for a business account lol.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website