Gun Room remodel

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Steve71
Approved Member

Re: Gun Room remodel

Post by Steve71 »

Figure I'll just keep all my gun posts/stuff here in this post rather than start new ones.

Been getting into reloading now the past couple months. Got all the equipment for a good price from a buddy that is into it. Been working some trades with some of my rod customers that are also into reloading & guns and got 5000 9mm brass from them now. Finished polishing/decaping/resizing it all. Also got over 1200rds of 9mm reloaded and on the shelf now. Which is good because I have been hitting the range weekly and go through about 200rds each range visit. So with reloading, I'm saving about $20 every 200rds shot, which over the course of a year adds up a lot.

Back at the range again today. Was testing out the PSA Dagger 9mm after I did some trigger work on it last week. Took it apart and polished the connector and trigger bar last week, as well as put a 6lb wolf trigger spring in it which seems to have dropped the trigger pull from the factory 6lb's down to probably about 4-4.5 lbs, and much smoother now. Still have a bit more travel/take up than I like, but I think this winter I'll just swap in an Apex trigger and that will take care of that.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

I swear for someone with OCD that hates change, this is the 3rd time I have changed things in the past year in the shop🤪. Been needing to expand the gun room area because of all the new firearm purchases, plus with getting into reloading now, I was already running out of room since the last time I expanded a few months ago. So now I have dedicated areas for guns, fishing, RC and work area. Another thing that came out neat are the flags. I have small 8x3ft room where I keep my rod building blank inventory/completed rods. So I spanned two flags over that opening and it makes for a backlit area for the flags which is cool looking. So now have about twice as much room behind the reloading desk, and the wall behind the desk is now able to be rearranged for when I finish the next three AR builds this winter. Hopefully will be the last revamp needed :oops:

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I just went and checked out your site:

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/

Those are nice rods. I seen the prices on some of them and I don't know how you can sell them for that. I'm used to paying premium prices for nice Shimano and G Loomis baitcast rods.

If I was into fly fishing (not really a thing here), I'd definitely hit you up.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:20 pm I just went and checked out your site:

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/

Those are nice rods. I seen the prices on some of them and I don't know how you can sell them for that. I'm used to paying premium prices for nice Shimano and G Loomis baitcast rods.

If I was into fly fishing (not really a thing here), I'd definitely hit you up.
Thanks! I've been doing it for about 20 yrs now (2023 will be my 20th yr in business) so I have been able to set up getting parts direct now for about the past 10 yrs. When you get parts direct, you save a LOT of money by cutting out the middle man. Basically when you see a rod for $300-$500...(some fly rods are actually $800+ :oops: ) basically what happens is (like many goods) the company gets the parts for "x" amount...then they up the cost of the parts by 400-500% then add on another 100% for thei labor etc, so they end up selling maybe $50 worth of parts (their cost) for $500. IMO it's just nuts. I've always been a 'working man" and know people don't always have that much to spend on a fishing rod. So when I get parts direct for say $50...I spend maybe 5-6hrs labor on building, and then sell for about $150'ish. Doesn't work out to a ton of $$ per hr....but When I work, I am at the bench and watching a movie etc while working. So I'm okay with the $$ per hr I make. Beats the hell out of the old job where I was a welder in a 110f shop in the 90+ heat of summer every day for 10hrs :lol:

BTW I do more than just fly rods. Fly rods are prob 90% of my business, but I do spin and casting rods as well and offer the same good prices on those. If you ever want something get a hold of me I'll take care of ya. Here's a couple spin rods I did recently that came out really cool imo.

Loomis had went out of business selling blanks a number of years ago, but Gary Loomis started his own company again selling blanks called North Fork Composites. They are a bit higher cost blanks (around $100-$120 for a blank, but still works out better than retail costs on them.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Steve71 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:03 pm Basically when you see a rod for $300-$500...(some fly rods are actually $800+ :oops: ) basically what happens is (like many goods) the company gets the parts for "x" amount...then they up the cost of the parts by 400-500% then add on another 100% for thei labor etc, so they end up selling maybe $50 worth of parts (their cost) for $500. IMO it's just nuts. I've always been a 'working man" and know people don't always have that much to spend on a fishing rod.
I don't buy most of my stuff from the common retail stores. My brother and I buy a good bit of stuff through a local dealer, who gives us a substantial discount. We've bought known him since the 90's and both worked for him at some point.

It doesn't amount to much on lower price items but can be $200+ off of a high end rod or $100+ off of a nice reel.

I once paid $140 total for two rods that were $165 each at F&S.
Steve71 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:03 pm Loomis had went out of business selling blanks a number of years ago
I was aware that they'd been a Shimano company for some time.

Until a couple years ago, they'd avoided crossing over the two brands. They now have some that crossover brand technology. They are nice, but damn ($$$).
Steve71 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:03 pm BTW I do more than just fly rods. Fly rods are prob 90% of my business, but I do spin and casting rods as well and offer the same good prices on those. If you ever want something get a hold of me I'll take care of ya.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Yeah, Gary and Shimano actually had some falling out and even lawsuits there for a bit if I remember right. Not sure whatever happened with that though. I meet Gary a couple times over the years at the Int Rod Show in NC. He's actually a really nice guy.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Busy lately with stuff, so slipped away for 1/2hr to my happy place today. I normally shoot at 10 yrds for pistols since 7yrds is the most common self defense distance, but today decided to work on a bit further distance. Pretty satisfied with the accuracy today. Target in pic has 100rds at 20 yrds. Few "fliers" outside of where I want, but over all happy with it.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Steve71 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 pm Few "fliers" outside of where I want, but over all happy with it.
They still get the point across, especially if they are self defense rounds.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Well just ordered another new toy lol. Thank God I am single. :lol:
I picked up a stripped Ar 9mm lower a couple months ago and built that up, so been waiting till money was right to order the upper. Got a few new rod orders the past week so figured no time like the present. Ordered this tonight. This is gonna be a real fun range toy. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen4-16-9mm-nitride-1-10-15-lightweight-m-lok-railed-upper-with-bcg-ch2.html

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Been kicking out a lot of rods lately so that I can have a bit of free time soon to start my latest build. Have most the parts now to build a pistol caliber carbine 9mm AR 16" rifle.

Waiting on some Duracoat to show up today. Going to Duracoat the upper/lower and rail myself in Titanium color Duracoat.

Lower is a dedicated 9mm PSA 9mm lower that takes Glock mags so plan to run some 33rd Glock mags in it. Upper is 16" 1/10 twist Nitride barrel. Going to order a Kaw Valley PCC buffer tube setup for it tonight as well as the Red dot and that should be all the parts needed then for this one.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Palmetto is a dangerous site to be on, with so many budget friendly items you can get carried away quick. That and they send me about 3 emails a day with their sales.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

romulus22 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:39 pm Palmetto is a dangerous site to be on, with so many budget friendly items you can get carried away quick. That and they send me about 3 emails a day with their sales.
You got that right! My buddy jokes all the time about how there is probably a picture on the wall at PSA with my face reading "Customer of the year" :lol:

First time ever Duracoating anything. Going to call it a success! I bought the liquid and hardener that you use for shooting through an airbrush. I think it does a much better job that way, but I won't lie, it was not fun. They say a .5 needle in the airbrush is fine, but even that seemed small, even with reducing the Duracoat. But after 3 coats it's done. Also covered it with 2 coats of Duracoat matte clear. With the Matte clear, and also cutting the clear with about 15% reducer, it gave me just the finish I was looking for on this build. A nice flat Titanium color. This one is going to look great with the black stock and buffer tube and other black accessories. You don't have to oven cure Duracoat, but you can to help cut cure time. So I went 20mins at 200f to cut the cure time down.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Latest build is finally DONE. To say I am pleased with it is an understatement. I had a picture in my head of how I wanted it to look, and it came out even better than I could have hoped. Details are-
9mm PCC 16" 1/10 twist barrel
Dedicated 9mm AR lower (takes double stack Glock mags)
I Duracoated the upper/lower/fore end myself
Built the upper/lower myself
Adaptive Tactical butt stock
Adaptive Tactical skeletonized lightweight grip
2 MOA red dot with auto on/off
Gen 4 bolt carrier
Enhanced trigger group and I polished the trigger as well
M-lok rail with light
Kaw Valley 7.5oz stainless 9mm buffer with .308 spring
Kaw Valley linear compensator
Strike Industries hand stop

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Took this newest build out today and ran it. Runs so smooth, by far my fav one now in my collection.

Link is not working here. If you are interest, vid of it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJgUtra0_iM

Target at 50yrds rapid fire after 100rds

Last edited by klavy69 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: installed youtube links correctly

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

VENTILATED
Hope you're doin' something fun.