Things that irritate you

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Things that irritate you

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm This is known as "The Magic Roundabout " it's in Swindon , drove round it towing a car on a trailer , was ....interesting .
Magic-Roundabout3-889x554.jpg
Now, imagine a french guy just landing in UK, taking a car from a rental company, and going in such a (have no word to describe that messy) magic rundabout... First, you have to think about the right side to look at (and for this time it's really the right side, not the left as usually for us continental people)... Well, interesting, you say :-D
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

When I drove round with the trailer I had the advantage of having a local with me but it was still pretty nervous and I'd have to rate my driving as pretty good with 12 years in car break down and recovery .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Outside of Mobile, AL, there is a large roundabout that merges six roads. Four of the roads are named Dawes (North, South, etc). It also has offramps and merge lanes.

It is in the middle of nowhere. Other than some small signs, there is nothing to indicate where you need to go.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Putin , he really irritates me , Russia needs another revolution ...... Sometime this week would be good .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Dadio wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:01 pm This is known as "The Magic Roundabout " it's in Swindon , drove round it towing a car on a trailer , was ....interesting .
Magic-Roundabout3-889x554.jpg
That hurts my brain just looking at it :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I'm not a fan of roundabouts for the same reason that I'm not a fan of most other people on the road, they can't even operate the vehicle, let alone figure out which lane they should be in, where to turn, where to go, what they're doing, where they're going, oblivious to everyone else on the roadway . . . :roll: For the record, 4-way stops have the same problem as roundabouts, NOBODY knows how they're supposed to work, which is why they back up traffic. Roundabouts are a bit more free-flowing in general, but as with everywhere else on the roadway, it only takes one idiot to completely shut one down.

I really wish they'd make getting a driver's license MUCH more difficult, cull some of the more dangerous idiots off the roadways. California gives licenses out like they're candy, but makes every other licensing requirement a major PITA. :roll:

The flip side is bad street design, as earlier mentioned, poor or lack signage of which side route you need, etc. Poorly marked streets, either the signs are in the wrong spot or buried in shrubbery. Where I live, they've taken to "street beautification" which is traffic department talk for absolutely fubaring a roadway. We have many 4 lane streets with a nice unobstructed median down the middle. This "beautification" involves filling the median with curbs, trees, and bushes, which eliminates the ability to use the median as a turn lane or to access businesses.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Halgar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 pm I really wish they'd make getting a driver's license MUCH more difficult, cull some of the more dangerous idiots off the roadways.
If nothing else, I think that a regular class license should only allow you to drive (up to) a full size sedan or mid size truck or suv.

The only thing worse than a moron on the road is one driving a land barge. A soccer mom has no business in a super crew, long wheelbase F-250 (that she can't drive or park).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Halgar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 pm I'm not a fan of roundabouts for the same reason that I'm not a fan of most other people on the road, they can't even operate the vehicle, let alone figure out which lane they should be in, where to turn, where to go, what they're doing, where they're going, oblivious to everyone else on the roadway . . . :roll: For the record, 4-way stops have the same problem as roundabouts, NOBODY knows how they're supposed to work, which is why they back up traffic. Roundabouts are a bit more free-flowing in general, but as with everywhere else on the roadway, it only takes one idiot to completely shut one down.

I really wish they'd make getting a driver's license MUCH more difficult, cull some of the more dangerous idiots off the roadways. California gives licenses out like they're candy, but makes every other licensing requirement a major PITA. :roll:

The flip side is bad street design, as earlier mentioned, poor or lack signage of which side route you need, etc. Poorly marked streets, either the signs are in the wrong spot or buried in shrubbery. Where I live, they've taken to "street beautification" which is traffic department talk for absolutely fubaring a roadway. We have many 4 lane streets with a nice unobstructed median down the middle. This "beautification" involves filling the median with curbs, trees, and bushes, which eliminates the ability to use the median as a turn lane or to access businesses.
You think your street design is bad , ours follows 12th century field boundary's , 9th century foot paths etc and that's central London ! Once you get out in the sticks it's bonkers .

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Dadio wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:22 am
Halgar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 pm I'm not a fan of roundabouts for the same reason that I'm not a fan of most other people on the road, they can't even operate the vehicle, let alone figure out which lane they should be in, where to turn, where to go, what they're doing, where they're going, oblivious to everyone else on the roadway . . . :roll: For the record, 4-way stops have the same problem as roundabouts, NOBODY knows how they're supposed to work, which is why they back up traffic. Roundabouts are a bit more free-flowing in general, but as with everywhere else on the roadway, it only takes one idiot to completely shut one down.

You think your street design is bad , ours follows 12th century field boundary's , 9th century foot paths etc and that's central London ! Once you get out in the sticks it's bonkers .
Aaah the 12th century...those were the days...not the same since the black death lockdown. You could get a loaf of bread and pint of mead for half a groat. A hovel only cost half a mark and petrol hadn't been invented.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I've been mailing a few packages lately and at my USPS location the price of postage seems to actually depend on which person I get. I heard one customer service person mumbling some package options without asking me, things about the contents that were incorrect. That really annoys me.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

We also just snuck into “holiday pricing” with usps so most of my stuff is $.40 to $.60 higher. Fun! I never ship from the post office due to their added cost tho, I use pirate ship mostly. Saves anywhere from a little to a lot.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Halgar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:58 pm
The town where I went to university always was a complete nightmare to navigate with any kind of vehicle, or while walking too, due to mindnumbingly stupid street design, e.g.:
- very narrow roads with heavy bus and pedestrian traffic, of which I never understood why there weren't multiple fatalities a week. They still resulted in at least one very flat child a year... :x
- crossings with buildings completely blocking the view, no enforcement of driving on the correct side of the road, and idiot male bicycle missiles firing out of side-streets, preferably nearly missing you if not t-boning you.
- no barriers in places that need barriers to keep drunken morons from drowning by falling into a canal.
- steep climbs/descents just before traffic lights at the bottom of a bridge, on routes where moronic pizza couriers like to drive through red (personal score a decade ago: one broken elbow + very sore for months due to moron driving through red light and having to make emergency stop on my bike - dived over the steering :cry: )

Last year they managed to top themselves in the most spectacular fashion by coming up with the following "improvement" to a dangerous intersection:
- road with sharp 90 degree turn and zero view on the section of road after the turn.
- bicycle-only priority roundabout that crosses said road in two places, in both cases in a location that can't be seen while taking the turn until the last moment.
- 50 km/h speed limit on the road, no warning signs that there is a roundabout or that the roundabout has priority.
Obviously the number of serious accidents went up, exponentially so. It got so bad that the town got into trouble for it, and they then tried to blame the accidents on the road users themselves despite the crossing being illegal according to local traffic laws. :roll:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Most people are blind to the fact that driving a car is the most dangerous thing you will do everyday .

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Dadio wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 pm Most people are blind to the fact that driving a car is the most dangerous thing you will do everyday .
You have clearly never started an argument with my wife :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

GoMachV wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:58 pm
Dadio wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 pm Most people are blind to the fact that driving a car is the most dangerous thing you will do everyday .
You have clearly never started an argument with my wife :lol:
And you do that every day :shock: