Post by V12 »

And another holy grail for me.
Delta motor, built by a certain world champion
art motor-1.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Re: Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Post by V12 »

A couple of Igarashi Modified armatures. Never used.
Attachments
mod igarashi-5.png

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

V12 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:04 pm
Second, and I might open a can of worms here. There was a single motor builder who wound special armatures for other teams as well, for making his living. Especially for Worlds, Euros or similar high class events. This guy told me at some point, but it might be not known to the public and maybe should not. At least back in the days.
And if that armature looks very neat and different to what is usual for Reedy, it´s quite possible it´s one of the armatures I mentioned.
This have been interesting here lately and I have to try to open this worm can a bit: I do not want (necessary) to know who this mystic motor winder was but I would like to see a reference of two neat but different windings and maybe a bit information, if not clear enough from picture, what makes the difference.

Jirka

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I actually have a Reedy motor which was sent to me by Team Reedy, Yokomo and Associated driver Michael Ebert which is actually a bit of a one-off wind (for a Reedy at least), being a 15Triple. I will have to pop that open and check out the armature/windings.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

dinglem wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 am I actually have a Reedy motor which was sent to me by Team Reedy, Yokomo and Associated driver Michael Ebert which is actually a bit of a one-off wind (for a Reedy at least), being a 15Triple. I will have to pop that open and check out the armature/windings.
Would a 15x3 be faster than a 15x1 or 2?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

rwordenjr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:11 pm
dinglem wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 am I actually have a Reedy motor which was sent to me by Team Reedy, Yokomo and Associated driver Michael Ebert which is actually a bit of a one-off wind (for a Reedy at least), being a 15Triple. I will have to pop that open and check out the armature/windings.
Faster or slower probably is the best answer. Similar but different.

Theoretically speaking, a single should have more low end power and motors with more winds (not turns) should have more high end power. However, it isn't unreasonable for a multiple wind of higher quality to make more power everywhere compared to a cheaper variant.

But when comparing completely different motors, you can probably throw most of that out the window. There are so many things that effect the power curve, narrowing down to one specific thing would be hard.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:24 pm
rwordenjr wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:11 pm
Faster or slower probably is the best answer. Similar but different.

Theoretically speaking, a single should have more low end power and motors with more winds (not turns) should have more high end power. However, it isn't unreasonable for a multiple wind of higher quality to make more power everywhere compared to a cheaper variant.

But when comparing completely different motors, you can probably throw most of that out the window. There are so many things that effect the power curve, narrowing down to one specific thing would be hard.
Oh okay thank you. Not very familiar with vintage brushed motors but I just picked up a Trinity 17x3 motor to try out

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

As pointed out above there are so many variables to consider. There are rev and torque differences between singles, doubles and triples etc... but different builders used to hand-wind their armatures with different gauge wires for example... I have a selection of team MG motors which are mainly 11 singles, doubles and triples but all have the wire gauge written on the outside, ranging from 1.18mm, 1.25mm and up to a whopping 1.32mm. Each was built for specific circumstances or track layouts etc....

The general guide is the lower the inductance for a specific wind, the more optimized it is, but as mentioned, so many variables.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

And then there are different cans, magnets, airgap (which effects a lot), brush compound, serrated, cutted, timing advance ...

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Returning to the Checkpoint topic for a moment... here is a bit of a project motor I picked up for a steal a while back. I assumed with it being alloy I would be able to clean it up although I haven't tackled it yet. Probably one of my next mini-projects. The original label looks fine - just really the endbell to dismantle and try to polish up a little (whilst trying to retain the 14 Turn etching), new brushes and springs. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
100987982_2906433756077818_4999069253660311552_n.jpg
101289343_1715074048631037_1371368978710003712_n.jpg

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Here are a few I have had for years. A couple of Kyosho Mega Clod motors, a JR's Choice, Trinity Monster Horsepower, Twisters red label that are not pictured.
20220521_101146.jpg
Attachments
20220521_100448.jpg
20220521_100720.jpg
20220521_100828.jpg
20220521_100927.jpg
20220521_101027.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I won't have the motor in hand for a week or so, but am curious if multiple companies used the blue end cap on closed endbell motors. These older old motors are unfamiliar territory for me.
Screenshot_20220527-131947.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Blue, white, and black were common colors for Igarashi endbells. Color isn't really an indicator of who (Reedy. Bolink, Trinity, etc.) might have sold the motor. Reedys were typically blue, but there were MRP, Bolink, and Parma blue cans too.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Phin wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:44 pm Blue, white, and black were common colors for Igarashi endbells. Color isn't really an indicator of who (Reedy. Bolink, Trinity, etc.) might have sold the motor. Reedys were typically blue, but there were MRP, Bolink, and Parma blue cans too.
Yup, he nailed it down!..Definitely tru vintage MRP had blue endbells
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

RS Chris
Approved Member

Post by RS Chris »

A couple of my older motors from my stash. These two were from before I got stared in the hobby, but I'm a sucker for anything Reedy or Yokomo based.

This has to be the hardest running stock motor I have ever seen.

Current:RC10T, T3 FT, GT Blue Tub, GT FT, GT2 FT, GT5, RC28, SC28, Micro RS4.

Previous:B2, B3, B3 FT, 10T pink chassis, GT FT, TC3, TC3 FT, RS4MT
Tamiya TA02, Thunder Tiger TS4N pro, Kyosho VoneR, Emaxx, MX4, MP 7.5, 7.5 Kanai.