Ultima RT5 modernized custom 3D printed chassis.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HiTec
Approved Member

Re: Ultima RT5 modernized custom 3D printed chassis.

Post by HiTec »

Just printed "the latest and greatest" from Fillamentum Wizard's Voodoo PLA.

As its from PLA, its not driveable.

Its actually still almost fully compatible with RB5/RT5/SC front end. Only the upper plate isnt compatible. To make my custom upper front plate compatible with these parts, i would only need to extend the partion between the shock tower by 4mm and add 2 screw holes. Super easy to do, so im definitely doing it.

Inline 3S: Image

Sideways shorty 2S:

I would love this to be a free of charge, simple downloadable .stl, with licence that denies using it for making money with it. I just dont know how to do it. Some people violated the licence with my Ultima ST parts, when they started to sell the parts from my designs with some clear, serious profit. That caused me to pull off almost all my designs from thingiverse. I also needed to chat with ebay cs and fill some copyright papers to them to pull of those parts from ebay. I dont want that to happen again and because licences clearly arent enough, i need to think a better way.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

@HiTec, it seems you do a lot of test prints. Out of curiosity, did you find a way to repurpose your PLA test prints back into filament, or is it lost?

I'm asking as I noticed that I often need to do 3 or 4 prints to get a part right. Ultimately, it's not a lot of PLA, but it may turn to be a lot when test printing chassis...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

I think i dont actually do a lot of test prints nowadays. When i started with cad in a about 1,5-2 years ago, i needed a lot of test prints for multiple reasons. First one was still being new with the design program and 3D printing itself and the second one was that different filaments need different tolerances. For example, the PETG/CF combination that i use, needs 0,3mm extra for vertically printed 5mm hole if i use alu body posts. So the hole needs to be 5,3mm in design.

For 3mm hinge pin hole, i usually use 3,2mm hole in design and the use the drill bit to make it correct if needed.

If i use PLA, the holes are little bit loose if i use the same design. So i really need to think about what filament i use in the different designs.

Its just how the different filaments work. Usually today i might print a one part from the design (if im not 100% sure about something), before making a full sized print with CF/PETG.

I put all that plastic waste to plastic recyling. I have different waste bins for pla, petg and cf/petg.

My advice would be just mastering the use of caliper, use normal paper scanner and canvases when possible (if needed) and part out the test prints to reduce the amount of plastic waste.

I have looked into a "diy filament maker", but it looked too complicated for me. I have too little time for that and i also need accurate filament tolerances.

For example, this PLA chassis is going to be part of a "shelf queen build". Not driveable, but pretty looking demo. Thats why i printed it from "bling bling" chameleon effect filament.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The other trick with test prints is just to print a small section of the part that you are modifying , with this chassis if he found it did not fit in some way at the front they just test print the front 1/4 of the chassis not the whole thing .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

@HiTec , @Dadio ,

Thanks for your hints, I see how much I still have to learn :-), and you are both part of the reasons I started to post in this forum, as your projects were fascinating for me (and overal, the level of the work shared by some people here is just incredible). I'm still at the beginning of my learning curve. I don't have the same level of experience neither the same knowledge of the applications... So thanks for sharing knowledge :D

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

HiTec wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:11 am
I would love this to be a free of charge, simple downloadable .stl, with licence that denies using it for making money with it. I just dont know how to do it. Some people violated the licence with my Ultima ST parts, when they started to sell the parts from my designs with some clear, serious profit. That caused me to pull off almost all my designs from thingiverse. I also needed to chat with ebay cs and fill some copyright papers to them to pull of those parts from ebay. I dont want that to happen again and because licences clearly arent enough, i need to think a better way.
Not really sure what you can do but I'm not ashamed of selling stuff , there is a huge give away community in 3d printing and I've got plenty on Thingiverse but moving forward with stuff I care about it's going on sale even if I don't make a lot , but as I've pointed out on here people can buy a £15 part of my Shapeways shop and stick it straight on eBay for £125 and there's nothing I can do it :roll:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:25 pm
Not really sure what you can do but I'm not ashamed of selling stuff , there is a huge give away community in 3d printing and I've got plenty on Thingiverse but moving forward with stuff I care about it's going on sale even if I don't make a lot , but as I've pointed out on here people can buy a £15 part of my Shapeways shop and stick it straight on eBay for £125 and there's nothing I can do it :roll:
I start to think there is unfortunately no other ways. I have very strict rules I gave myself with the files I got from people or from Thingiverse : I do not reshare them. I would eventually tell the people to contact the originator or provide the link of the part I found on Thingiverse. But that's it. And when I modify something, it's either a remix from a Thingiverse thing and I would indicate it when publishing it, or I do not reshare, unless I'm told I can do. I would be happy to buy stl or models to be able to print them to my linking (I would be even ready to pay for more than the part itself, somehow, because I know I can get the part printed for less), but I would perfectly understand that original designer would not be ready for that, because there is always the risk the guy buying the model being someone with bad intentions...

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Thanks for understanding and also thanks for the different viewpoints. @Dadio @silvertriple Its a tricky one for sure. Time will tell what i'll do with this.

@silvertriple I wish more people would be like you. I got no problems sharing my designs with a honest guy like you. Big respect!

Couple of pics from the weights.

Original RT5 composite chassis:

My prototype (PLA) chassis:

Side by side comparison:

PETG/CF should be lighter, but theres also a room for improvement on the weight saving. Theres some unused body posts here and there etc.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Completed the design in some of the smaller parts. Because RT6/SC6 use such a different shock tower in rear motor configuration, i cant use the stock midmotor rear shock tower in rear motor configuration design i have, because there is a a slight cleanrance problem with the motor plate and the stock midmotor shock tower (the motor plate front ear, where the gear dust cover bolts in, hits the shock tower). This clearance problem is only when the RT5 or first gen SC parts are used, because those cars didnt have the gearbox/motor plate spacer in them and those cars had shorter gearbox input axle.

So i modified the original midmotor shock tower design to make it compatible with all the gearbox configurations and also slightly adjusted the "rear motor configuration rear bulkhead" design. My design differs from the original Kyosho rear motor shock tower mainly because that kind of part is impossible to print from one piece, so it could be durable enough.

This should do it.

Also modified the front upper plate, so the same upper plate its now compatible with my front end and also with stock RB5/RT5/SC with my chassis. Im going to print the rest of the rear motor parts and assemble the car with those parts to test how it works. I only drove like 2 battery cycles with the lay down and it worked really nicely. Just a lack of rear grip on the loose gravel, but that was predictable.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Had another thought about that discussion this morning when discovering that some of the stl from Knight customs and Ampro Engineering can be bought on myminifactory. I contemplated the Sandrail from Knight Customs for quite a while, but on shapeways, it is quite expensive (and I believe I could get the print less expensive than on shapeways - with the possibility of reprint in case I break it)... I'm considering buying the files for this. And if ever there is something I decide to put some stl to sell on a website, I believe it is going thru those. I checked the way they've set the business model. There is a monthly shop fee which is quite expensive, but if the price of the products are set right (they only cut a 10% fee on a product sale) , it could make quite a good rentability (not that I think about that right now, as I don't have enough models to take benefit of this)... But hey, yes, you probably need to have a set of models to sell so the monthly fee is offsetted by the sale. Or you need to set the shop only during a period to get your sales in place for a month...

Food for thoughts anyway: I don't have enough models right now for this. Will reassess this after the Nichimo Spirit FF project :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 am
Had another thought about that discussion this morning when discovering that some of the stl from Knight customs and Ampro Engineering can be bought on myminifactory. I contemplated the Sandrail from Knight Customs for quite a while, but on shapeways, it is quite expensive (and I believe I could get the print less expensive than on shapeways - with the possibility of reprint in case I break it)... I'm considering buying the files for this. And if ever there is something I decide to put some stl to sell on a website, I believe it is going thru those. I checked the way they've set the business model. There is a monthly shop fee which is quite expensive, but if the price of the products are set right (they only cut a 10% fee on a product sale) , it could make quite a good rentability (not that I think about that right now, as I don't have enough models to take benefit of this)... But hey, yes, you probably need to have a set of models to sell so the monthly fee is offsetted by the sale. Or you need to set the shop only during a period to get your sales in place for a month...

Food for thoughts anyway: I don't have enough models right now for this. Will reassess this after the Nichimo Spirit FF project :)
It's very hard to guess what is going to sell , there are quite a few parts that are either on Shapeways or Thiniverse for free that I though would move fast but have not moved much or at all , even some of the parts that are relatively cheap on Shapeways don't get any interest , I though that once I got the 834b Dogfighter gearbox on sale it would move fast as they are popular cars and the gearbox is unobtainium , if your paying a monthly fee then you need to be pretty sure of sales and that requires you to advertise in some way , look at Ampro Engineering and his You Tube stuff , I'm fairly introverted especially with a camera involved and it has to be produced well too , its worth really analysing Ampro's you tube stuff because that's kind of how to do it .

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:51 am It's very hard to guess what is going to sell , there are quite a few parts that are either on Shapeways or Thiniverse for free that I though would move fast but have not moved much or at all , even some of the parts that are relatively cheap on Shapeways don't get any interest , I though that once I got the 834b Dogfighter gearbox on sale it would move fast as they are popular cars and the gearbox is unobtainium , if your paying a monthly fee then you need to be pretty sure of sales and that requires you to advertise in some way , look at Ampro Engineering and his You Tube stuff , I'm fairly introverted especially with a camera involved and it has to be produced well too , its worth really analysing Ampro's you tube stuff because that's kind of how to do it .
Yeah, agree, but those guys are probably doing this in a very different way than what we are doing. I personally prefer buying a stl or a set of stls, and manage the impression by myself, not only because I have a 3D printer and that some stuff are easy to print by yourself, but also because I found out that with the boxed way on imaterialise, I can send a lot of part in one go for a MJF printing (it maybe the same for SLS, but I didn't check, because theroically MJF PA12 is stronger and more precise, although with less options in terms of materials), I could save a lot of money on the print itself compared to order parts one by one (the box with the parts I ordered was 60ish delivered, and it would have been 180+ delivered if I had chosen to send each part separately)...

The example of the Sand Rail from Knight Custom is quite interesting : about 300 euros in parts from Shapeways Marketplace, about 30euros plus printing for the whole STL set. I made estimations for a Hunter chassis (based on a stl I cna't share) : the lowest print costs I found are around 100 in MJF PA12 and around 130 euros in MJF PA12 40% Glass filled. And depending of the service you use, print a complete chassis, print chassis parts separately or print chassis part nested change totally the price or not: each service has its own way to price, and it needs to get understood to take the most benefit of the prints. At the end, I believe that getting a stl set is at the end going to get cheaper (if you want more details on this and the estimations I did, feel free to contact me, you know where to find me :-) )... And that it is even without talking about proper capabilities to print (which is always possible)...

In any case, @HiTec, hope you don't mind too much the diversion from your original topic, and @Dadio, thanks for sharing viewpoints :)

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

No problem at all! These kind of conversations are nice!

Parts released, i hope this goes as i like and people wont be using these to make money. I could have done it also, as i´m broke as hell for being in study leave from work so long, but yea...

Enjoy:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5147467

optimaforever
Approved Member

Post by optimaforever »

A very interesting thread! It looks very nice, congrats Hitec!

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

optimaforever wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:30 am A very interesting thread! It looks very nice, congrats Hitec!
Thank you optimaforever! There hasnt been updates, as I've been busy and mostly just testing the car when i've had time. I found two weak spots when doing some jumps in freezing temps and fixed them. The updated and re-tested parts have been added to REV7 thingiverse files.

Car works great. Handles very nicely and is durable. I printed the rear lower chassis plate from Nylon Carbon Fiber, as i saw that the rear hinge pin holder screws started slowly chewing out the PETG screw holes.

The next updates/addons are small. Just adding some parts that Ive been testing before release that are missing from the package. Im also assembling a second test car with PLA main chassis to test what it can handle. Overall very happy with this chassis. You can also slice RB5 update chassis from this. If i remember correctly, just slice the main chassis 23mm shorter than originally and you have RB5 chassis.