Resale profit margin

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Resale profit margin

Post by Dadio »

If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Re: Resale profit margin

Post by BattleTrak »

Yikes.. I see the same thing with guitars over there too.. Big mark ups.
-Brad

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Think that seller has some serious issues, everything he has seems to be £100 over priced lol. Wants £156 for a hobby wing 1080 brushed Speedi that I just paid £35 for BNIB from a local hobby shop

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Because i decided to watch the sale the seller contacted me and offered a $20 discount :lol: This was my response

New message to: nannkaisas-37
Thank you for your kind offer of reducing the price but as Dadio Designs is my Shapeways shop and the item I designed is there for considerably less I will decline but good luck, I look forward to seeing how much you get for my product.
Gav
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

its a$$hats like that who are going to run off any new hobbyists and make established hobbyists like you Dadio from sharing your work. :|

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

No, I'm not here to make money, more to see old cars back on the track, I do make a little money, this month I got a whole $50 from Shapeways. :lol: But it usually goes straight back in my hobby fund. :D

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Dadio wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:21 am No, I'm not here to make money, more to see old cars back on the track, I do make a little money, this month I got a whole $50 from Shapeways. :lol: But it usually goes straight back in my hobby fund. :D
Always better when the hobby fun pays for the hobby fund.... ;)
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Your purpose for listing parts was to make them available to people that need them. Keeping them affordable seems like the nice thing to do for those needy people. Maybe when you come across auctions like this, you could create a similar auction that severely undercuts their price and in the text tells where they can order the part and for how much. Just a thought.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:18 am Your purpose for listing parts was to make them available to people that need them. Keeping them affordable seems like the nice thing to do for those needy people. Maybe when you come across auctions like this, you could create a similar auction that severely undercuts their price and in the text tells where they can order the part and for how much. Just a thought.
That's not a bad idea , I could home print one and list it, as you say also point to where it can be found on Shapeways and warn people of the extortionate mark up in similar auctions re selling my designs , I really don't want to make things expensive , if you want expensive then hang on and wait for genuine parts !

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

You won't be able to add a link to your Shapeways store in an eBay auction. Have you tried reporting the auction to eBay?

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/verified-rights-owner-program.html#m17-1-tb2

Something else you can do is rework your products so they have some personalized logo/inscription on them to make it clearer that they are your items.

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

Frankentruck wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:18 am Your purpose for listing parts was to make them available to people that need them. Keeping them affordable seems like the nice thing to do for those needy people. Maybe when you come across auctions like this, you could create a similar auction that severely undercuts their price and in the text tells where they can order the part and for how much. Just a thought.
would have to watch how you word it. links or directing users to buy from sites off ebay is against ebay policy.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

It could just say something like, "This is a print of my design from my Shapeways collection. Other people have begun reselling my designs at marked up prices without my permission."
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Wow, this is quite shocking to see! I can imagine the odd few quid added here and there to cover postag and import duty and what not, but that mark up is insane! I was expecting a thread about buying and then selling genuine parts for more than you paid, not whopping increases in parts you didn't even produce! Milking the hobby.

I have been trying to work out how much to sell my scroll-back paint RC10 bodyshell for.... I really have no idea how to price such a one-off thing at all. I guess that is a completely different subject to this though.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Phin wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 am You won't be able to add a link to your Shapeways store in an eBay auction. Have you tried reporting the auction to eBay?

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/verified-rights-owner-program.html#m17-1-tb2

Something else you can do is rework your products so they have some personalized logo/inscription on them to make it clearer that they are your items.
I don't think eBay can or even should do anything. There's no law or rule about buying cheap and selling expensive. That's just the capitalist dream. It's just painful to see or think about people getting mugged. I could put a logo on but I'm not sure it would change anything and it may put off genuine customers.