Odd generic aluminum shock binding issue

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Odd generic aluminum shock binding issue

Post by Coelacanth »

I've had good luck with these generic aluminum oil-filled shocks, for the most part...they're made by dozens of different clone companies so I don't think brand really plays a part in this particular issue. In fact, I just used 2 sets of these for my Marui Shogun resto-mod and they work great. However, I'm having a weird issue with 2 different sets of these with the WLToys 144001 car I'm building for my daughter. This project will run either an on-road body or an offroad body, and to make the suspension change easier (and because a second set of shocks is so inexpensive), I had planned to have one set of stiffer shocks for on-road, and a second set with better damping for offroad.

The original shocks do something strange. If left to rest for a while, they bind for the first bit of the compression, then they will work fine. If you let the car sit for another while--not even long, like a half hour perhaps--they bind again. I was planning to remove the shocks and re-test with them off the car, but that test was confirmed with the second set of shocks. Right out of the package, they similarly bind a bit right at the beginning of the compression phase. It's quite unusual.

Have any of you experienced this? I'm thinking to reduce the shock travel by a few millimeters by adding a spacer inside the shock and see if that resolves the binding. Ideas?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

JosephS

Re: Odd generic aluminum shock binding issue

Post by JosephS »

Coelacanth wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:26 pm I've had good luck with these generic aluminum oil-filled shocks, for the most part...they're made by dozens of different clone companies so I don't think brand really plays a part in this particular issue. In fact, I just used 2 sets of these for my Marui Shogun resto-mod and they work great. However, I'm having a weird issue with 2 different sets of these with the WLToys 144001 car I'm building for my daughter. This project will run either an on-road body or an offroad body, and to make the suspension change easier (and because a second set of shocks is so inexpensive), I had planned to have one set of stiffer shocks for on-road, and a second set with better damping for offroad.

The original shocks do something strange. If left to rest for a while, they bind for the first bit of the compression, then they will work fine. If you let the car sit for another while--not even long, like a half hour perhaps--they bind again. I was planning to remove the shocks and re-test with them off the car, but that test was confirmed with the second set of shocks. Right out of the package, they similarly bind a bit right at the beginning of the compression phase. It's quite unusual.

Have any of you experienced this? I'm thinking to reduce the shock travel by a few millimeters by adding a spacer inside the shock and see if that resolves the binding. Ideas?
Sounds like they are getting hung up in the shock body in a specific spot. Once they start moving get they past the hang and keep loose.Have you taken the shock apart yet?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The original ones were completely rebuilt with different oil weight than what they came with, but that didn't resolve the issue. I haven't disassembled the second set but I expect they will be no different. I might get around to doing some troubleshooting this weekend. It doesnt seem to be a matter of them binding at a specific point, as the issue goes away for a while and they work perfectly fine after they "break loose", but leave them alone for awhile and the problem repeats and they get stuck again.

If rebuilding the second set doesn't correct the problem, I'll limit the piston travel by a few millimeters and report back if that helped.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Sounds like "striction" caused by wrong lube in the O rings , get some Team Associated green slime , I've used it on those shocks and it works .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Good idea. I see that often being recommended on this forum to lube shocks, even for shelf queens. I never had a use for it before now, at least never with Kyosho Golds... :P My LHS has a few tubes, I'll pick one up after work this afternoon and report back.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Dadio wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:14 pm Sounds like "striction" caused by wrong lube in the O rings , get some Team Associated green slime , I've used it on those shocks and it works .
Absolutely the best, been using it as long as I can remember.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Update on the shock binding issue and AE Green Slime...my shocks got slimed! :mrgreen:

I took the new set, which needed to be fully disassembled anyway as they had very little oil inside them, and dabbed a tiny bit of Slime on the shafts and O-rings, as these shocks have removable bottom caps making that very easy. Testing the piston compressions, it looked like there was no more of that initial friction, and I reassembled the shocks with the heavier oil weight that I needed. The suspension now has smooth compression, so thanks for the suggestion, guys! 8)

I'll rebuild the 4 original shocks next, the issue with those is even worse, but I expect will also be resolved.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Share and enjoy :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.