Kyosho Optima build x2

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Kyosho Optima build x2

Post by Burniefloyd »

So I have never done a build thread before, I usually forget to take pictures as I tend to work in spurts - aka get distracted and buy new projects instead of completing existing ones.

Case in point, instead of buying the body, decals and tires to finish my Sledgehammer I bought a pair of Optima's :oops: I am going to do my best to stay on task and focus, I even deleted most of the saved searches on my ebay app :?

So here is what I have to start with. The gold trimmed one is in far better shape. The other one was... well loved.

Screenshot_20210906-200126~2.png
Screenshot_20210906-200059~2.png

I know they are all pretty similar but I I want to do a Turbo and a Pro body with a gold and CF color scheme. Not sure if they will be mirrors of each other, once the parts start arriving I will make some more decisions.
Self described chronic hobbyist

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Optima build x2

Post by Burniefloyd »

Boom, #1 done!

Screenshot_20210906-201958.png

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Lol, ok I'm not that bad.

Broke down the first one to prep for cleaning. I am going to keep the second one assembled for reference until this one is rebuilt.

Screenshot_20210906-190441.png

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nice work so far. I get memories of my Optima resto-mods every time I see one of these resto project threads. It all starts with a tear-down and clean-up of the old chassis and inventorying of all parts that will need replacing. I don't think I'll ever do another Optima or variant, as I've done enough that it's repetitive to keep building the same car over and over again, but I still get that little itch every time someone posts another Optima resto thread. Eventually I won't be able to scratch that itch...thanks for that, BurnieFloyd! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

On #1, I'm assuming you opened the rear gearbox to get the chain out. Was the big final pinion still the OEM aluminum gear? What kind condition was it in? When those start wearing, they end up chewing up the plastic differential / chain drive gear.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:39 pm Nice work so far. I get memories of my Optima resto-mods every time I see one of these resto project threads. It all starts with a tear-down and clean-up of the old chassis and inventorying of all parts that will need replacing. I don't think I'll ever do another Optima or variant, as I've done enough that it's repetitive to keep building the same car over and over again, but I still get that little itch every time someone posts another Optima resto thread. Eventually I won't be able to scratch that itch...thanks for that, BurnieFloyd! 8)
That's what I'm here for brother :lol:

Generally my builds/restos are just cleaning and replacing badly worm parts. I usually have grand plans and buy all sorts of stuff but then I can bring myself to open those NOS parts and end up being a bit frugal and doing a best of type build and selling the choice bits off the assume the guilt.

This time, with the exception of buying extremely high priced shocks, I will be using what I buy. I already have spent almost double on parts what I paid for both cars and still don't have tires, a second set of wheels or decent shocks to replace the reds but that's a problem for next month or whenever the parts arrive.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Frankentruck wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 pm On #1, I'm assuming you opened the rear gearbox to get the chain out. Was the big final pinion still the OEM aluminum gear? What kind condition was it in? When those start wearing, they end up chewing up the plastic differential / chain drive gear.
Yes it has the aluminum gear. It is in pretty good shape. I know the parts aren't interchangeable with the rere but I wonder about trying to swap out the whole drivetrain to get a belt drive in it since the option house is non existent. Again that is a thought for another day, 1 step at a time.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The option house belt conversation kit does pop up on eBay periodically. Just not when a person wants it to. There is a Thorp OT76 steel final piniom out there if you also needed it.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:44 am The option house belt conversation kit does pop up on eBay periodically. Just not when a person wants it to. There is a Thorp OT76 steel final piniom out there if you also needed it.
OT-76 is the Option House part number...for the Thorp, you'll want to search for #4738.

ThorpFinalPinion-4738.JPG
ThorpFinalPinion-4738.JPG (26.06 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
ThorpFinalPinion-4738.JPG
ThorpFinalPinion-4738.JPG (26.06 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Yes my mistake. There's a Thorp in my eBay watch list and the listing has both the Thorp and Option House part numbers. I grabbed the wrong number. I haven't bought it yet because I've been resisting getting a project car Optima.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Thanks for the heads up. I don't run my cars much, mainly because I hate soldering and mismatched battery connections :x

Start cleaning it up today and was thinking about the color scheme. Is there any advantage to the eye hook rod ends vs capture balls ends more commonly seen? I was thinking some brass/gold colored balls and new black rod ends. Maybe use gold tie rods to make up for the busted linkage on the rear sway bars

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I would say the open ball-ends--the eye-hook rod ends you mentioned--wear more easily and when they pop off, you lose their functionality. If it's a tie-rod end and it pops off, your car now only steers in one direction. The captured balls are screwed in through the holes so unless the screw rips right out, the ball-end will still function if the end pops off the ball.

I've used turnbuckles and ball-cups/ball-ends on most of my cars' steering servos/linkage/stabilizers. More sturdy and easier to adjust.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Ok, so I finally received my order from Pargu for the largest part of the first build a few days ago.
I jumped right into the build but have been taking pictures as I go.

Here are my new parts:
16345874392352.jpg

I am not overly impressed with the alloy set from Pargu. Full disclosure I had issues with the order from the start from not getting combined shipping to the month of waiting for him to ship.

Anyway, the fit and finish was a bit lacking. A lot of the holes needed to be reamed out for the screws to fit. The towers were nice but the braces were much thinner than stock and pretty flimsy.

Trans went together fine, bone stock, no belt conversion and not much to it but some screw changes

16345874389501.jpg

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Font end assembly
16345874834445.jpg
16345874834184.jpg
16345874833133.jpg

Burniefloyd