RC10 Classic 2020 ReRelease...

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Pyxster
Approved Member

RC10 Classic 2020 ReRelease...

Post by Pyxster »

...well, my interpretation anyway

I modeled my Vintage RC10 as I had it apart for a restoration. After spending that much time and money getting it back to new(ish) condition I don't want to run it. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would love to run the RC10 but are afraid to break or damage their cars and have to worry about parts.

What if Associated re-released the RC10 but made with modern materials and components? Collectors would be protected, people who want to drive their RC10's would have a more durable car with readily available parts.

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Classic 2020 ReRelease...

Post by XLR8 »

That's a great looking model.
I really like the rwb colors as well. Seems very appropriate for an RC10. Well done sir!! 8)

We should pool our resources, tool-up some parts suppliers and bring this legend back ourselves. :D
Doug

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

When I modeled the car in Fusion360 all the parts work as assembled, so there is a 3D model to manufacture from. I'd just need to finish a few details that weren't necessary for the rendering, like the inside of the transmission.

I'd run one of these at my local track, I never win anyway with my B6.1 so I might as well have some fun. haha

I'm kicking around trying to make a prototype for myself. Find an eBay special with a beat up chassis I can sand down and paint and dye the plastics. The ball ends and tie rods, shocks get from a used B4, 5 or 6, cut some carbon shock towers, MCI will make the vintage decals with custom colors. 3D print the wheels. sounds easy. :wink:

ELF-BMX
Approved Member

Post by ELF-BMX »

Wow! I thought this was real for a second! I think i know what my next body will look like.😉

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

"Wow! I thought this was real for a second! I think i know what my next body will look like."

Those were my thoughts exactly.
That paint scheme looks awesome - I want one. 8)
Maybe we should send Pyxster a royalty check. :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Pyxster wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:57 pm When I modeled the car in Fusion360 all the parts work as assembled, so there is a 3D model to manufacture from. I'd just need to finish a few details that weren't necessary for the rendering, like the inside of the transmission.

I'd run one of these at my local track, I never win anyway with my B6.1 so I might as well have some fun. haha

I'm kicking around trying to make a prototype for myself. Find an eBay special with a beat up chassis I can sand down and paint and dye the plastics. The ball ends and tie rods, shocks get from a used B4, 5 or 6, cut some carbon shock towers, MCI will make the vintage decals with custom colors. 3D print the wheels. sounds easy. :wink:
I've done several of these models myself; this was no small undertaking, this has taken you some time!
Anyway, I like your plan, you should definitely build this car!
Doug

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:04 pm I've done several of these models myself; this was no small undertaking, this has taken you some time!
It looks like you used SketchUp do build your model, (I use SketchUp for work) and that probably took longer than using Fusion, and some things were probably more difficult to do in SketchUp, so good job.

I'm thinking about building it...

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Printing stuff is easy, we need to find someone in the injection molding business with a passion for RC.

Or just keep waiting untill print quality and durability catch up to that of injection molding.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

ELF-BMX wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:44 pm Wow! I thought this was real for a second! I think i know what my next body will look like.😉
Here is a quick render with that body on the vintage chassis

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

RC10th wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:28 am Printing stuff is easy, we need to find someone in the injection molding business with a passion for RC.

Or just keep waiting untill print quality and durability catch up to that of injection molding.
Or petition Associated to re-re-release the car :lol:
And this time not for a limited run

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Pyxster wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:26 am
XLR8 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:04 pm I've done several of these models myself; this was no small undertaking, this has taken you some time!
It looks like you used SketchUp do build your model, (I use SketchUp for work) and that probably took longer than using Fusion, and some things were probably more difficult to do in SketchUp, so good job.

I'm thinking about building it...
I'm also a wood worker and started using Sketchup to layout my projects back in 2009. In a past life, I've used AutoCAD (blech!) ProE, Solidworks and, more recently, Inventor.
As a surface modeler, Sketchup definitely isn't the best tool for modeling RC parts but I guess I'm able to work with it.
You've mentioned completing a vintage RC10 restoration project. Can we see it please? :D
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Pyxster wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 am
RC10th wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:28 am Printing stuff is easy, we need to find someone in the injection molding business with a passion for RC.

Or petition Associated to re-re-release the car :lol:
And this time not for a limited run
Unfortunately, Thunder Tiger is in control and I seriously doubt they'll ever want to do the re-re thing again.
I think RC10th is correct; injection molding is still the best process for making durable nylon parts.
Doug

Pyxster
Approved Member

Post by Pyxster »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:52 am I'm also a wood worker and started using Sketchup to layout my projects back in 2009. In a past life, I've used AutoCAD (blech!) ProE, Solidworks and, more recently, Inventor.
As a surface modeler, Sketchup definitely isn't the best tool for modeling RC parts but I guess I'm able to work with it.
You've mentioned completing a vintage RC10 restoration project. Can we see it please? :D
If you've used Inventor you can use Fusion360, they are the same but Fusion is better IMO, and it's free.
I use SketchUp for mainly Architectural Visualization.
I was going to enter my car in the build of the month, it basically looks like the vintage rendering in the original post (but not as good hahaha) a driverless boxart.

Headling
Approved Member

Post by Headling »

Great work and love the body’s paint job
If in doubt go flat out!

Lurker
Approved Member

Post by Lurker »

That looks great! I’ve got money to buy a rerelease burning a hole in my pocket!