Ford v Ferrari (spoiler alert)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Ford v Ferrari (spoiler alert)

Post by XLR8 »

Got the blu ray and watched it last night and I'm curious if any of our membership here has seen it.
I thought I knew the story but was surprised by some plot twists. Perhaps the film-makers have taken some artistic license in an effort to make a better movie, not sure.
We're all familiar with Lee Iacocca and Carroll Shelby but who has ever heard of Ken Miles? I hadn't before seeing the film but he was the real hero in this story and deserves to be remembered.
Anyway, if you've seen the film, chime in and give us your thoughts? :D
Attachments
Ford v Ferrari.jpg
Doug

RC10resto

Re: Ford v Ferrari

Post by RC10resto »

Never went to see that, but I did see this as I prefer Documentaries;

https://chassy.com/shop/24-hour-war/

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Fellow documentary junky here. Thank you for posting - I definitely want to see that one!!
Doug

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

And I would recommend the other two Docs on the bottom of that linked page :wink:

Carknowledge101
Approved Member

Post by Carknowledge101 »

I saw it and it was awesome. I think it would be cool if someone recreated those cars as rc’s... just a thought.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

These days, anytime I see a movie that was "Inspired by true events" or "Based on a true story", I find that I have to actually research what was real and actually happened. I got that feeling watching Ford vs. Ferrari, though it was a very enjoyable movie. Parts in it just made me think, "No way that happened".

The Revenant was another like that, about the only thing that was factual in that movie was that a few of the characters existed in real life, but almost everything else except the bear attack probably didn't happen, and was only added to make the story interesting to movie-goers.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

It hit the HBO rotation a little while back and I have seen it close to a dozen times from various start points in the movie. It was fun so I liked it.

I recently found a new HPI GT40 body that I am trying to choose a color scheme on. I would love to find one of those Ferrari bodies to go with it.
Self described chronic hobbyist

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm These days, anytime I see a movie that was "Inspired by true events" or "Based on a true story", I find that I have to actually research what was real and actually happened. I got that feeling watching Ford vs. Ferrari, though it was a very enjoyable movie. Parts in it just made me think, "No way that happened".
I do the same thing, always interested in what really happened. I know Wikipedia isn't the best source but starting there it looks like most of the Ken Miles story was real but I would guess the drama was probably embellished. He was winning LeMan's, did set the track record and would have won the triple crown but all 3 cars did cross together so Miles wasn't given the win.
Self described chronic hobbyist

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Burniefloyd wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:51 pm These days, anytime I see a movie that was "Inspired by true events" or "Based on a true story", I find that I have to actually research what was real and actually happened. I got that feeling watching Ford vs. Ferrari, though it was a very enjoyable movie. Parts in it just made me think, "No way that happened".
I do the same thing, always interested in what really happened. I know Wikipedia isn't the best source but starting there it looks like most of the Ken Miles story was real but I would guess the drama was probably embellished. He was winning LeMan's, did set the track record and would have won the triple crown but all 3 cars did cross together so Miles wasn't given the win.
Well stated, I agree.
I went into this not expecting a "documentary" but perhaps some level of entertainment based upon historical events I was familiar with. I wasn't disappointed.
I come from the 1960's and, for a car guy, it was an amazing time to be alive - so many incredible cars, automotive innovations, etc. - a magical time for sure. I recall seeing Grand Prix, Bullet and other iconic car movies for the first time as a kid and it sparked an interest in all things motorized that is still with me today.
Building an RC version of the GT40 Ken drove is a very interesting idea.
Doug

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Re: Ford v Ferrari (spoiler alert)

Post by GeneralZod »

I thought it was a well done movie. The actual Ken Miles LeMans GT40 car was at the Shelby American Collection right down the road from me. That car is all business and no roll cage! It may still be there but it has been several years since I visited. His Cobra Roadster is there listed in their collection. https://shelbyamericancollection.org/collection/

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I’ve seen both Ford versus Ferrari and the 24 hour war. Both movies were killer. I didn’t know about Ken Miles so I was bummed about the ending of the film. The 24 hour war was super interesting. A definite watch.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

We went and saw it when it was first released and I thought it was a great movie. The shelby Cobra is one of my favorite cars.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

GeneralZod wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:34 pm I thought it was a well done movie. The actual Ken Miles LeMans GT40 car was at the Shelby American Collection right down the road from me. That car is all business and no roll cage! It may still be there but it has been several years since I visited. His Cobra Roadster is there listed in their collection. https://shelbyamericancollection.org/collection/
It appears that Ken's GT40 was still on display at Shelby American Collection late in 2019.

Here's the finish at LeMans 1966. That's Bruce Mclaren's black car on the left taking the checkered flag and Ken's car is on the right. Ken slowed down just before the finish line allowing Bruce to move ahead. It appears that Mclaren won the race outright.

LeMans 66 finish.JPG
LeMans 66 finish still shot.JPG
Doug

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

I saw it in the theaters when it was released. I went with a friend who is in no way a car guy, and after the movie, he started asking questions about old racers and stuff. I thought it was a good movie. I knew the story, so I left to go to the bathroom before Ken Miles dies...

For the documentary people who haven't seen it yet Dust to Glory is a great one... the second movie, Dust 2 Glory is great IF you've seen the first one, but not as great as a standalone flick.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

My girlfriend and I saw it in the theater and really enjoyed it. There was a fair amount of creative license taken with it, and added drama, but most of the real story is the engineering effort that went into the cars that would have bored most people to tears.

Shortly after watching it I came across this video about the 1965 Le Mans, which is only mentioned on the radio in the film, and usually gets glossed over in storytelling. https://youtu.be/iR8FP1_pjn0

I've watched this video a few times because I enjoy the guy's storytelling. He has a few other videos on that channel, and I recommend the shorter one about the Whittington Brothers, whose car is mentioned in the end of the above video. Most of the rest of the channel are guys talking about their exotic cars, which is pretty dull, but there are a couple of other good ones, like the founder of the 24 Hours of LeMons, Randy Pobst, and the guy who found General Lee 001 on a guy's farm in North Georgia.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR