Spoiler mounting on a Tomahawk re-re?

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Spoiler mounting on a Tomahawk re-re?

Post by Jim85IROC »

I'm getting very close to jumping into my first Kyosho re-re, and I'm struggling to decide which model to get between the Scorpion, Turbo Scorpion or the Tomahawk. I like the Tomahawk the best of the three except that I think it looks goofy without a rear spoiler. (I know, I know... but I'm not a vintage Kyosho purist). I found one person that added the Scorpion spoiler to his car and it looked fantastic, but about the only mention he made of how he mounted it alluded to having to cut up the back of the body, which left me wondering how well secured the body would be. Has anybody put a spoiler on a Tomahawk that might be able to provide me with some insights?

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Spoiler mounting on a Tomahawk re-re?

Post by Dadio »

I've not got a Tomahawk but I do have a Scorpion with a Turbo wing mount , the mount replaces the top cover on the gearbox , from that picture it looks like that's what he's done and had to cut a section of the body away over the top of the gearbox to fit it .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Right, and I suspect that's where the Tomahawk body also mounts to, which would leave the back of the body with no mounting method. I'm hoping to find out if there's a decent way to resolve that.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

The Tomahawk body mount is ahead of the gearbox, the Tomahawk already has a hole in the body where the wing mount fits as the Tomahawk has a heatsink on top of the gearbox. You can fit the wing mount to the Tomahawk without altering the body, but you would have to dismantle the wing mount to get the body off. The fix is to cut away the body behind the wing mount so it can be pulled forward to remove it.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Thanks! That sounds like a simpler solution than I had expected!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

You could use screw in body mount posts fitted to the Turbo wing mount then fit the wing with two body clips instead of screws , that way you could just pull the two clips from the wing to take it off and then remove the body .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Well, thanks to Ebay and their stupid 15% off sale yesterday, I yanked the chain on a Tomahawk and a Scorpion spoiler. I didn't buy the spoiler mount yet because I want to build the car and see whether the Scorpion or Turbo Scorpion style mount will work best.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

The Tomahawk and the spoiler arrived on Friday. I'm really looking forward to building this. The kit looks fantastic!

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Cool! I have the Turbo Scorpion re-re kit and it went together very well. Kyosho seems to provide great quality however check your wheels closely; mine were distorted (failed molding) so I contacted Kyosho and they sent a set of replacements.
Doug

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

No pics yet, but last night I started experimenting with wing mounting. I ordered the Scorpion mount kit and the Turbo Scorpion mount kit. My preference would be to use the Turbo Scorpion mount kit. Last night I fit that into place but mounting it would require more trimming to the body than I would prefer. I would need to trim pretty much all the way back to the "exhaust" mounts and I'm afraid it could weaken the body. I moved on to the Scorpion piano wire mount. I tweaked the mount a little bit so that I could mount it to the rear-most cage holes that sit behind the body. This worked perfectly, but looks a little odd with the wing mount leaning forward instead of back, but once the body is painted up I doubt it would be noticeable. Taking the body off and on works great. The wing doesn't interfere at all. If I can't come up with a better solution for the Turbo Scorpion mount, this will do.

Back to the Turbo mount. This is still my preferred option. In order to use this mount, I would need to trim the body, trim the lower part of the mount uprights, or a combination of the two. Alternately, if I lift up the mount, less trimming will be required. I think what I'm going to try to do is mount the wing mount directly over the stock Tomahawk transmission cover to raise it up. If this doesn't work, I can try to 3D print a new mount that repositions the vertical risers.

Lastly, I was looking at how to convert the wing into a quick-release so that I don't have to unscrew it every time I want to take off the body. I'm tossing around a few options right now. I could replace the screws that hold the wing to the mount with set screws and use thumb screws, but that would look goofy. I could drill some holes in the set screws (or find some with holes already) and use body clips to hold the wing to the set screws. Another option is to replace the screws that hold the wing mount to the uprights. A 3mm axle shaft fits perfectly into the hole. I would just need to drill a small hole in one end for a body clip. I've got some old HPI axle shafts with a flange on one end that would be perfect for this if I can drill a hole in it. Lastly, I could replace the screws that hold the mount to the transmission with set screws, and then use body clips or thumb screws to hold that to the trans.

I've got to look around and see what I can find for 3mm set screws with holes.

I found these 3mm Clevis pins that would be perfect for quickly detaching the spoiler from the uprights:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Stainless-Steel-Clevis3-4-5-6-8-10mm-Pins-Link-Hinge-Pin-Farming-Sailing/222871186650?hash=item33e4286cda:m:mHla9wEfAJXCpK_5EvPq1uQ

HatTrick
Approved Member

Post by HatTrick »

Here's a few pics of my re-re Tomahawk with a pretty large lexan-wing mounted with the Turbo Scorpion wingmount.
Tried to get pics showing how I cut up the rear of the body to enable quick and easy removal.

This is a car I race with and the body is still very secure when driving it!

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

awesome pics, thanks!

I'm hoping to be able to minimize cutting of the body because I really want to retain the exhaust feature at the back of the body, although when I look at yours, I don't really miss it.

HatTrick
Approved Member

Post by HatTrick »

For as long as possible I was trying to figure out a way to retain the exhausts as well but in the end just said, screw it! :lol:

Also had to cut a lot more than planned for the rear shocks as I'm using the carbon LWB kit.