HPI modern 5-star wheels on RC10

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: HPI modern 5-star wheels on RC10

Post by jwscab »

this requires some handiwork with tools and you need a little accuracy.

if you just want to put modern tires on the car, use wheels from JCracing of the UK, available on ebay, they also have a direct website, and are very affordable. Direct bolt on, use 2.2" tires and are 5 spoke in three colors, the only downside is that the fronts are narrow, so some tire profiles are 'bulgy' since most cars now use a wider front tire.

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

I saw a something about the JC racing wheels but I am trying to do this on the cheep. The wife thinks I already spend too much on my "toy"! :cry: I think I read some where that b3 wheels will work, is it a direct bolt on?? I met a guy at the track that has some he might be willing to part with. If they will work That would be great! Thanks for the help!!
Mark

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

b3 wheels on front are fine, on rear if they are 'sport' wheels, they will fit, otherwise you need to add a taper for the 1/4" to the team/standard wheels. A drill bit works ok as long as you can make sure you don't drill all the way through. Drill press at a minimum. To clarify, the sprt wheels would be used with axles and dogbones, where the team wheels would use CVD's. That's the best way to tell what they are, check the driveshafts.

they might be harder to find than the JC wheels though. Ha, sorry, i just re-read, you have a line on some. if that's the case, give it a whirl!

mark in wi
Approved Member

Post by mark in wi »

Thanks for the quick reply!
The guy has an old b3 with 6-8 sets of wheels. Fronts he needs but could "spare" a few. He did a conversion to run Losi rear hubs so the rear wheels are not needed.
For now I just want to find some tires so I can drive it like a buggy again. The only wheels I have with any tire left are the foams from carpet racing. They don't last to long in the street!

Thanks again
Mark

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Here's what I did with the SC10 partsImage

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

not trying to revive a old thread, but i would like to add my 2 cents on the hpi wheel conversion the fronts will not work for offroad use the rear will but you can not use the outside hole on the a-arm they WILL rub the shocks the off set is to deep i use them because my buggy setup allows me to use the next hole in,the fronts look nice ,but with the out side tapered bearing there is no lateral support to hold the small amout of the bearing taper to stay within the rim,,the nut will hold the bearing but if you grab the wheel and push it ,,lets say on bottom like you are going around a long sweeper the rim is to thin in the bearing area and the bearing almost pops out than it will wobble,it looks good and i do wish it would work ,but ive tried it on the car and well just my 2 cents :cry:
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

ck33
Approved Member

Post by ck33 »

Read this today on LiveRC. Perhaps if enough from this group send e-mails they might consider making them for the 1/4" stock RC10 axle?

http://www.liverc.com/news/new_products/2103-AVID_releases_new_clamping_wheel_hexes/

angus

Post by angus »

farmer wrote:not trying to revive a old thread, but i would like to add my 2 cents on the hpi wheel conversion the fronts will not work for offroad use the rear will but you can not use the outside hole on the a-arm they WILL rub the shocks the off set is to deep i use them because my buggy setup allows me to use the next hole in,the fronts look nice ,but with the out side tapered bearing there is no lateral support to hold the small amout of the bearing taper to stay within the rim,,the nut will hold the bearing but if you grab the wheel and push it ,,lets say on bottom like you are going around a long sweeper the rim is to thin in the bearing area and the bearing almost pops out than it will wobble,it looks good and i do wish it would work ,but ive tried it on the car and well just my 2 cents :cry:

Actually I think if you look at his drilled hex adapter, he used a step drill (unibit) - this leaves a "step" in the hex which holds the bearing securely, if you simply drill it out then yes, it'll push through like you say.

Check out this link, it describes how to use Traxxas stampede 2WD parts (caster block, steering block and axles) to convert the front end to hex style do you can use any 12mm hex wheels you like without permanent mods to the car or wheels - I test fitted this and it works great - you could even use RPM parts if you like.

http://www.hpiracing.com/wheels/wheels-ds.htm

FunkyStickman

Post by FunkyStickman »

Couple quick questions:

These are the HPI "Super size" 2.2 wheels, correct?
The rears fit on original 1/4" axles with just the hex adapters?
Do you think this would work with original 3/16 x 5/16 flanged bearings in the front?
Old-school... and proud of it.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, super size 2.2"

yes, can work with just a hex adapter in rear

for smaller bearings, could work, but you need to try it and see. flanged bearing would probably make it easier than no flange in this type of application. glue a hex in the wheel, and then it's a straight drill through of 5/16", then the flanges locate the bearing. you would definitely have to adjust the hex and wheel width so the bearings are the correct distance to fit on the axle.

FunkyStickman

Post by FunkyStickman »

Fantastic! Definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old-school... and proud of it.