What did I do!! New SC10

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

soniccj5
Approved Member

Re: What did I do!! New SC10

Post by soniccj5 »

Raced the truck for the first time Sunday. I finished last(seems to be my thing), but I had a lot of fun. I just started to get a good rhythm going and the race was over.

I'm amazed at how much abuse these trucks can take. There is a set of doubles, that if you get enough speed and hit it just right, you can triple. If you don't make it though you get to hear a loud slam and wait for the marshal. I waited for the marshal a couple times :oops: .

Looking forward to me next outing with this truck. Once I start getting consistent lap times with minimal mistakes I will start tuning it.

ED

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Well the RTR was great to get started, I don't think I would buy another. I have replaced the steering servo with a Savox and the ESC/Motor with a Novak GTB2 / Ballistic 10.5. The money I saved, I ended up spending anyway.

I think if the track was not so close to my house, I might spend less money on the modern buggys. :lol:

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I on the other hand detest racing my SC10!!! I'm only doing it to prove something to myself and because just running 1 class makes for a long day. It's really hard going between pro 2wd buggy and 2wd short course, the driving styles are just so different and I think that's where I suffer. I can had the controller to other drivers and they're able to run TQ pace lap times with my SC10, but I'm consistently 4-6 tenths off over a 24 second lap.

On a constructive note, before you spring for tires, definitely ask around the track what type work best, also what compound and what inserts to run with them, the right tire in the wrong compound with either a too soft or too hard insert will just make you chase your tail, and at sixty bucks a set it's a painful thing to have to "buy and try" I've been very happy with the panther line for the clay tracks we have here in Ca. but there are guys just as fast on Jcon's and Hot Bodies tires. I run Proline 'burb's in pro buggy, but the same tire type and compound is awful in 2wd SC? Thankfully the outdoor season is starting and those tracks are a little less tire sensitive.

Good Luck and Have fun at the track!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Another thing you'll want to upgrade soon is the rear hub carriers, the 3/8 x 3/16 bearings in the stockers will let you down after a few races, the loads with the large diameter wheel are too great and the bearing will literally fall apart making the wheel flop like a wet noodle. This will be more important when you get gripped up with good tires and start going faster.

get the asc 9730 carriers, they use a 1/2 x 3/16 outer bearing and will keep you from loosing a bearing in the last minute of the A-main (this is when it always happens to me). The fronts wear quickly as well, but not as quick as the rear. With the upgrade in the rear I don't worry about them, and in the front I change the bearings after every two race days or sure enough they fail on the third (these are full days, couple practice rounds, three heats, and a main) and bearings are just cheap insurance on a car these days at a dollar each.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I guess I have been lucky wit the bearings, I still have the stock ones in the kit over a year later. RUnning JConcepts Goosbumps in the rear and JConcepts Blue Bar Codes in the front. I was running the kit tires in the front for a while, but the steering was horrible.

I know how it is going between buggy and SC. I was at the track with both and kept switcihing between the two. It takes a couple laps for me to get used to the difference.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I can't switch back and forth as easily, The buggy I'm fine with, but with the SC it takes two or three minutes before lap times level off, maybe it has to do with me being a dirt oval guy by trade? I think this summer my boy is going to start running the SC and I'm going to stick to running my B4 in the pro class and my gold pan in the pro 2 class.

I'm really surprised about the bearings, maybe it's a traction thing? Everyone has bearing issues at our indoor track.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I have been running the stock 13.5 with 87/22 gearing. Last run I had 75/22 which made the thing fly, but i needed to keep an eye on the temps. Now I have a 10.5 to run. Maybe with the hotter motor I might run into more problems.