Radio Learning curve

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bearrickster
Approved Member

Radio Learning curve

Post by bearrickster »

I dont know about the rest of you guys, I quit Racing in the early 90's. so back then I was useing a Futaba Magnum Jr radio, that was the hot ticket were I raced. I won or was in the top 3 every week. so a couple of years ago I started racing again, I pulled out a old Junior radio and a LX-T and went racing and finished 3 in points. then I got tired of getting a hard time for my old man stuff, and I went out and bought a fancy Futaba 3PM 3Ch 2.4GHz FASST Radio. I dont know if I just dont get it or what, but this is the most confuseing radio I have ever seen. it does everything but teach me how to use it. :lol: I hate it!!.

So I must say the 2.4 freq. I love no more crystal problems but I wanted a radio I could use. so I started looking around and found a Associated XP3-SS on e-Bay for 60 bucks. this radio is the ticket!! it is a 2.4 Magnum Jr no fancy stuff just trims and dial limits just like my old radios. I know most of you guy want ABS brakes, 10 model memory and all that fancy stuff you can have it. :lol: I bought this radio system for under 60 bucks and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASSOCIATED-XP3-SS-2-4GHz-3Channel-Radio-System-AEC-/130481997440?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e61554680
Attachments
!CEit9o!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!h4E0Eje2ywiBNSL0RUk7g~~_12.jpg
!CEit9o!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!h4E0Eje2ywiBNSL0RUk7g~~_12.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
!CEit9o!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!h4E0Eje2ywiBNSL0RUk7g~~_12.jpg
!CEit9o!!Wk~$(KGrHqR,!h4E0Eje2ywiBNSL0RUk7g~~_12.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: Radio Learning curve

Post by CamplinP »

How much do you want for your Futaba? :lol:
I understand where you are comming from. I do like the model memory though. I have somewhat kept up on radios since I quit running cars in the early 90's as I started back up with aircraft in early 00's. You want to talk about a computer with two sticks. :?
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

7upstang

Post by 7upstang »

Thats a coincidence. I posted earlier tonight saying that the XP3-SS that came with my B4.1 doesn't seem to work. Perhaps you could remove your transmitter anrenna and let me know if the wire that hangs from it is attached to anything.

I'm happy to see that yours works. Mine has a working range of about 30 to 50 feet.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Thanks for the heads-up Rick. That Associated sounds like my kind of radio too. Although I probably still prefer the old man gear. :lol:
Gary

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

7upstang wrote:Thats a coincidence. I posted earlier tonight saying that the XP3-SS that came with my B4.1 doesn't seem to work. Perhaps you could remove your transmitter anrenna and let me know if the wire that hangs from it is attached to anything.

I'm happy to see that yours works. Mine has a working range of about 30 to 50 feet.
My son in law has the AM version and it does the samething. Sorry mine are working fine I am not messing with them, but if your antenna is messed up I would send it back and get it fixed, as the wire has to be attached to something.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

RedScampi wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Rick. That Associated sounds like my kind of radio too. Although I probably still prefer the old man gear. :lol:
I hear you Gary, good to hear from you my friend. I love how simple it is. I am more in my element. but have the advantage of 2.4. 8)
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

bearrickster wrote:I dont know about the rest of you guys, I quit Racing in the early 90's. so back then I was useing a Futaba Magnum Jr radio, that was the hot ticket were I raced. I won or was in the top 3 every week. so a couple of years ago I started racing again, I pulled out a old Junior radio and a LX-T and went racing and finished 3 in points. then I got tired of getting a hard time for my old man stuff, and I went out and bought a fancy Futaba 3PM 3Ch 2.4GHz FASST Radio. I dont know if I just dont get it or what, but this is the most confuseing radio I have ever seen. it does everything but teach me how to use it. :lol: I hate it!!.

So I must say the 2.4 freq. I love no more crystal problems but I wanted a radio I could use. so I started looking around and found a Associated XP3-SS on e-Bay for 60 bucks. this radio is the ticket!! it is a 2.4 Magnum Jr no fancy stuff just trims and dial limits just like my old radios. I know most of you guy want ABS brakes, 10 model memory and all that fancy stuff you can have it. :lol: I bought this radio system for under 60 bucks and it works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASSOCIATED-XP3-SS-2-4GHz-3Channel-Radio-System-AEC-/130481997440?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e61554680
I'm taking your recommendation, I purchase two XP3-SS 2.4GHz systems on ebay pulled from new SC10's for $45 each. Let you how I like them.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

I have a 3PM that I feel is also one of the hardest radios to navigate through.
Makes it very frustrating to change anything.
About a year ago I bought a Spektrum Dx3r, it is unbelievably easy to use.
Did not even need the manual to use it, which can not be said for the 3PM.
I am however considering trying out one of the Futaba 4PL that are now out.