LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing

Re: LOSI "Multiple Builds". Builds finally started Dec 2009!

Post by JK Racing »

shirochanwrx wrote: About the front end width: spacers on the front to move the B4 wheels out sounds like a simple enough plan on the stock JRX2 axles ...
I did the same on my TRX3/TCP front end with JRX2 axles, works great.

shirochanwrx wrote:has anyone run other manufacturer's carrier/spindle/axles on the front of the JRX2 in order to get more width? I've seen B3 / T3 front assemblies on cars ... how does this work out in terms of overall width?
There is a build here where the previous owner had used B3 front parts, the result was a front end that was the "correct" width.
shirochanwrx wrote:I know that XX front assemblies work (once drilled out to accept the larger JRX2 hingepin) allowing use of XX 2.2 rims ... do XXT assemblies (with their more conventional axle set-up) work?
You can pick up the NXT (or GTX) front axles, they moved the front end out quite wide, I will post a pic shortly. They were for using XXT front wheels on the LXT/GTX/NXT, moved it out the same width as my son's T4.
shirochanwrx wrote:Or RC10GT "wide" axles with any of the above spindles?
I have a set of RC10 alloy, RC10GT wide and stock JRX axles, I will try to get a group shot so you can decide what you think will be best.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Man! Those action pics are great, especially this one;

The Jrx2 looks much better on the original wheels (I love the 'wild-red' colour) - neat idea cutting a section out of some 2.2 tyres to fit them on the 1.9 wheels 8)

Got to get myself a runner built for the summer!

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:Man! Those action pics are great, especially this one;

The Jrx2 looks much better on the original wheels (I love the 'wild-red' colour) - neat idea cutting a section out of some 2.2 tyres to fit them on the 1.9 wheels 8)

Got to get myself a runner built for the summer!
+1

Looks awesome, maybe I will too! :mrgreen:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hey guys - thanks for all the great comments - makes it worth it!

Secondly - apologies for not getting back to you sooner with some answers!

Hope I get em all for ya!

1) Modern wheels on the old JRX2 - easy on the front - just a spacer before the wheel to put it out to current width. I also put the wheel nut on backwards! I do this because even the modern "thin" wheel nuts available dont really get a good part of the nyloc section of the nut on them to secure it. If you put em on backwards - well - its all nyloc and then a bit of thread - alot "safer" - and kinda looks cool depending on the wheel. As for the rear - pretty much a direct fit on the Pro - because of the "H-arm" suspension. The 5 link however is a different prospect altogether. You need to space out the wheel axle as far as you can get it without binding. Then you need to also put a spacer between the screw and the lower 5 link control arm on the hub. This allows the wheel to "JUST" miss the control arms through the movement of the suspension without rubbing on the upper and lower control arms. No spacers means the tires are hitting the control arms before you even finish up tightening the wheel nut!! If you are interested - I will see if I can grab a few pics of what I have done for you all.

2) Yep - Trinity Nerfs are on the 5 link, along with the double bearing diff, ball raced steering, RPM Standoffs, RPM front knuckles and uprights and a few other funky mods. I do also run the swept front arms - mainly to get some steering - this thing "hangs on" like nothing else and understeers like a pig with standard arms!! (I actually like alot of steering - so most people would probably think its fine!!). It really lays dowm the power extremely well, the front end is well behind the rear in terms of generating grip in standard format. I havent really run anything wilder than a 17.5 brushless in her - but it really handled that quite easily. The car does indeed look alot better on the "Old School" rims - however handles a hell of a lot better ont eh modern stuff - although cutting down the modern tires does work a charm..............................

3) Modern tires: In fact - Losi still sell a 2.0 inch tire -: http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/Categories And they grip SUPERBLY too!! That being said - there are other tread patterns that work better and dont wear as fast. This can only be acheived by cutting the tires in half, removing a section of the tire and re-glueing them. It is important when you cut the tyres that you cut PERFECTLY staight across the main tread of the tire - however you need to "taper" the cut when you get to the sidewall - you need to taper in towards the rim - so that when you glue tht tyre back together it maintains its "round"shape and mounts properly to the rim. Again - if interested - I will take some pics of the taper and measure the section of what needs to be taken out. REST ASSURED that if you use high quality tyre glue (I use the "much more" brand - super thin tyre glue) the tyres WILL NOT come apart. You need to "tack" sections of the tyre at a time when you are putting it back together. When you are happy that you have it as "round" as you like - the run a decent amount of glue around the join on the INSIDE of the tyre. The super thin glue will seep into all the small gaps and make a very strong joint. Then it is simply a case of glueing the tyre on 2 inch rim. After all that - I bet you buy the Losi tyres above!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: ;)

Please feel free to fire any questions - I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner. The PRO is most definately my favourite car to run - I have run down to a 10.5 on stock "turbo" timing with it - and it is a real WEAPON. Last time I ran it - I was pulling wheelstands halfway down the straight and pretty much able to just hang on to modern cars as well through the corners.......but not quite.......our hobby has come a long way.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

JK, Retro ... you guys are awesome.

Pics of the front axles comparisons would be really great, JK. Right now I am strongly contemplating sourcing the RC10 B3/T3 front end bits in order to increase parts availability for cars that I plan to run. So either B3/T3 carriers/spindles with the widest possible axles and B4 front wheels, or ...

... can I just bang a set of XXT spindles and knuckles on the stock JRX2 arms with either the stock XXT axles or the NTX/GTX axles?

In any case, it is good to know that the stock JRX2 axles can be spaced out to use the B4 front wheels, but if I could escape the tyranny of using 20+ year old parts with ones more readily available on the "crashy" end of my runner, that would be great too.

I am hell-bent for getting my 5-link running with modern rubber. Already picked up the 0.125" spacers from TowerHobbies and will probably go with some of the anodized Axial chassis spacers to generate some clearance for the rear links. It is exciting to think that these cars can run even better than they could back in the day with modern electronics, batteries, motors ... and about 20 extra years of common sense!

Retro ... if you didn't have a 1/2 kilo of Kydex in the form of nerf bars hanging out on the back half of your JRX2 5-link, do you think that might help with your turn-in?

I'm kidding of course.

Great tip on the 2.0 Losi step-pins, BTW. I think I'll pick up a set of those for the shelf and stick to 2.2 modern rubber on the runner.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Not wanting to detract any further from Retro's fantastic builds & runs, for front axles options I started this thread:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19475
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

shirochanwrx wrote: Retro ... if you didn't have a 1/2 kilo of Kydex in the form of nerf bars hanging out on the back half of your JRX2 5-link, do you think that might help with your turn-in?
ROTFL - mate - nice call!! Seriously though, I did "lighten" the nerf bars - and they dont weigh an awfull lot. I tried the car with and without them - and did not notice any real difference to be honest - so I thought it would rather it look "öld school cool" going around - you know - something different.

Honestly - you are are going to have to be desperately unlucky to break a front steering knuckle mate - really dont need to spend the money - and the standard parts are CHEAP and still come up quite often on eBay. The front uprights are the same. I have had some pretty serious crashes with the Pro running in mod and nothing (other than a wishbone) has ever broken. Havi ng said that - with these two new rebuilds that you see in the pictures - I put on RPM HD versions of both - just to be sure ;) I guess it depends on how much you plan crashing/driving hard with other cars.

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

losiXXXman wrote:That castle hill track must be REALLY tight..It looks like your runner X2 even has swept front arms...is there a straight where he is a handful? :lol:
Darryn, ARE you running swept fronts w/5 link on the SWB car? AND Do you find it overly twitchy or have you found some other tuning method for straight line stability.

Thanks!

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Darryn I have to give you props for running new built cars. most people would just sit them on the shelf and look at them. glad to see them tearing up the track. hopefully I can find a track close enough to me this summer so mine can stretch their legs.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

losiXXXman - I gave a brief answer if #2 of my initial reply to this. The car generates alot of grip from the rear - and to be honest we were always chasing front grip - even back then. The swept front arms give it a little more steering and make it a bit n icer to drive. I am actually considering trying to NARROW the front track a bit - to get more steering! Will try a few different spring and tyre combo's before I try that though. the Castle Hill track is actually pretty high speed - but has soime technical sections as well.

Bear!!: Mate - the list of new built cars that I have run at thesse meetings is pretty long. So Far I have run the following New builts: AYK Viper, Marui Samurai, Kyosho Lazer ZXR, JRXII, original Frog, Wild One, and some others I cant remember at the moment. I have run alot of very prescious fully restored cars as well like my legend RC10, Mini Mustang, Schumacher Cat XLS, Optima Mid and man y more. Whilst I do indeed have a pretty large NIB and "shelfer" collection - I truly LOVE running these cars and giving them the best run that I can. I like to give people and appreciation for just how awesome these old cars are. They cant do that sitting on the shelf!

Cheers

Darryn

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

My mistake Darryn. :oops: I read nerf bars, ball bearing.. and skipped to the next paragraph :( . Sorry.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

RETRO R/C wrote:Bear!!: Mate - I truly LOVE running these cars and giving them the best run that I can. I like to give people and appreciation for just how awesome these old cars are. They cant do that sitting on the shelf!

Cheers

Darryn
I am with you! I am putting together some runners myself. I am going to put a 5 link Jrx2 together to run.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

losiXXXman wrote:My mistake Darryn. :oops: I read nerf bars, ball bearing.. and skipped to the next paragraph :( . Sorry.
Jeez mate - dont apologise at all!! No need for that - was just letting you know I hadnt ignored you at all!! :D I tend to dribble on - so I cant say I blame you for moving to the next paragraph!! :mrgreen:

You are gonna love the 5 link bear - truly a good "safe" handling runner for sure.

Cheers

Darryn