1/8 scale shock on a 1/10 scale

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

m_vice
Approved Member

1/8 scale shock on a 1/10 scale

Post by m_vice »

Are 1/8 scale shock too big for a 1/10 scale buggy?
Has anyone done this? Or has a 1/8 shocks to test on a RC10 or other?
Let me know what you know.
Thanks you.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: 1/8 scale shock on a 1/10 scale

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well, I would say they are probably too big for most intended RC10 gear judging by the shocks on my Savage, but I did have an idea a couple of years ago along the lines of installing huge shocks on a buggy. My intention was to build a jump car. I got the idea from a whipped Duratrax Maximum ST I bought on ebay. The same seller had an RC10 graphite listed and the descriptions were completely backwards. It obviously scared away most bidders so I just bought both to make sure I got the RC10. Even with having to buy both, and saving on shipping I think I made out ok. The first thing I noticed about the Maximum ST were the super long A arms that it had. I also noticed that the housings were about the same as an RC10. So I immediately knew what I wanted to do with it. I had to shave some plastic, but after some modification they fit very well. My solution for shocks was a set of aftermarket Savage shocks. The reason being that the shocks were very long, but not real fat, so they would fit pretty easily along the profile of the shock towers. I got a little ways into it before being stumped by what driveshafts to use and whatever other crap I had going on at the time. I abandoned the project, but I still think that it is one waiting to happen somewhere. I mean they're out there, but you don't often see a car made specifically for big jumps. 1/8th buggies and the big monster trucks do it well by nature, but they weren't designed just for that. I'd actually like to see one even more extreme than what I was trying. I'm sure you've seen a few builds on here along these lines. Vintage AE(and others) built buggies on here that had some pretty sweet leg room on their suspension, but not to the 1/8th extreme that you suggest. Great builds though. I still have the arms if you want them(free of course). Maybe with your skill you can take it to the next level. PM me if you want the arms to give it a shot. :wink: Not sure if this is at all what you had in mind, but there's my answer...I think :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: 1/8 scale shock on a 1/10 scale

Post by m_vice »

Well, my thought are more along the lines of putting 1/8 scale buggy shock on something like an RC10Truck. Some of these 1/8 shock are more or less the same length as rear 1/10 and If I make a solid aluminum chassis for a truck it might get heavy and 1/8 shock would be nice ( and work very nice for jumps).

Only thinking, no real project yet. :D

What arms are you talking about? Got any pics? PM me.