More Tamiya shenanigans or something else?

The place for all things re-release Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

More Tamiya shenanigans or something else?

Post by XLR8 »

While browsing Horizon and Amain for in-stock Tamiyas, I noticed something interesting. Apparently some of their latest batch of vehicles include an older TEU-104BK ESC which, from what I've read, could be destructive when paired with modern electronics if you’re not careful.

The Subaru Impreza (TT02) I received a couple years ago came with a TBLE-02 (internal BEC, lipo cutoff and it can power both brushed and brushless motors). I believe this was the first Tamiya I’ve owned in more than 20 years so I was pleasantly surprised not only that it included an ESC, but one that would power both motor types. Anyway, the more recent Neo Scorcher (TT02B) included a TBLE-04 which is similar to the ’02 except it is for brushed motors only. The Wild One I ordered a month ago came with a Hobby Wing 1060 – a huge upgrade from the TBLE ESC’s in my opinion. From what I’ve read, Tamiya decided to switch to HW ESC's due to supply shortages. Now, it seems, Tamiya has reverted back to one of their older ESC’s; the TEU-104BK.

Again, from what I’ve read, the TEU is well over a decade old, does not include a BEC (so modern receivers and servos will receive full battery voltage because they don’t typically include an internal BEC) and the cutoff voltage is set to 4.7 volts which could ruin a 2s lipo’s if the vehicle is ran to cuttoff.

It’s now 2022 and I reckon most everyone is using 2.4g BEC-less radios and lipo batteries. I don’t know if Tamiya is going cheap on us by using-up old stock or if they are having problems sourcing the HW ESC but I think they would be well advised to not include an ESC with their kits rather than that old TEU. What do you think?
Doug

silvertriple

Re: More Tamiya shenanigans or something else?

Post by silvertriple »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm Anyway, the more recent Neo Scorcher (TT02B) included a TBLE-04 which is similar to the ’02 except it is for brushed motors only. The Wild One I ordered a month ago came with a Hobby Wing 1060 – a huge upgrade from the TBLE ESC’s in my opinion. From what I’ve read, Tamiya decided to switch to HW ESC's due to supply shortages. Now, it seems, Tamiya has reverted back to one of their older ESC’s; the TEU-104BK.
2 things:
- the TBLE-04S is also brushless ready. But the data provided is weird. It should be able to support 75A consumption but is said up to 15.5T brushless motors while the TBLE-02S (60A) is said up to 13.5T without fan or 10.5T with fan.
- my wild one was delivered with a TBLE-04S, and I was surprised as the dealer told me it would be a Carson ESC (equivalent to the HW 1060)
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

The other thing to note with the TBLE-02s is that it supports LiFe cutoff, not LiPo.... Tamiya have been big LiFe adopters for a long time, and that was what they chose to support with the "next-gen" ESC when they released the TBLE-02s. When the TBLE-04s was released, it included a LiPo cutoff, which may well have been a first for Tamiya.

There is a way to mod the TBLE-02s to provide a LiPo cutoff, but it involves hardware modifications (i.e. get the soldering iron out!). For anyone interested: https://laneboysrc.blogspot.com/2015/08/tamiya-tble-02s-mod-for-lipo-cut-off.html?m=1. I'll preface this by saying I have not personally performed this upgrade (as yet).... so good luck if you go down that path!

Back to the original story, I know there's a global shortage of semiconductors at the moment, which is causing all sorts of backlogs with the automotive and consumer electronics industries... so maybe Big T are just using up what they had lying around, to not short-change buyers by providing no ESC...

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm The other thing to note with the TBLE-02s is that it supports LiFe cutoff, not LiPo.... Tamiya have been big LiFe adopters for a long time, and that was what they chose to support with the "next-gen" ESC when they released the TBLE-02s. When the TBLE-04s was released, it included a LiPo cutoff, which may well have been a first for Tamiya.

There is a way to mod the TBLE-02s to provide a LiPo cutoff, but it involves hardware modifications (i.e. get the soldering iron out!). For anyone interested: https://laneboysrc.blogspot.com/2015/08/tamiya-tble-02s-mod-for-lipo-cut-off.html?m=1. I'll preface this by saying I have not personally performed this upgrade (as yet).... so good luck if you go down that path!

Back to the original story, I know there's a global shortage of semiconductors at the moment, which is causing all sorts of backlogs with the automotive and consumer electronics industries... so maybe Big T are just using up what they had lying around, to not short-change buyers by providing no ESC...

Alex

The TBLE-04S don't have a Lipo cutoff neither. The cut off high settings is cutting off at 6.2V. if your Lipo are not properly balanced, it is not going to work properly, as one cell can be under the 3.0V value. It's really not advisable to use it without a Lipo alarm, same as a TBLE-02S on this aspect.

And as for the lipo cut-off mod on the TBLE-02S, I did try to do some myself, and I got success in one case, vs 2 failed. Use at your own risks.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:09 pm
XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 pm Anyway, the more recent Neo Scorcher (TT02B) included a TBLE-04 which is similar to the ’02 except it is for brushed motors only. The Wild One I ordered a month ago came with a Hobby Wing 1060 – a huge upgrade from the TBLE ESC’s in my opinion. From what I’ve read, Tamiya decided to switch to HW ESC's due to supply shortages. Now, it seems, Tamiya has reverted back to one of their older ESC’s; the TEU-104BK.
2 things:
- the TBLE-04S is also brushless ready. But the data provided is weird. It should be able to support 75A consumption but is said up to 15.5T brushless motors while the TBLE-02S (60A) is said up to 13.5T without fan or 10.5T with fan.
- my wild one was delivered with a TBLE-04S, and I was surprised as the dealer told me it would be a Carson ESC (equivalent to the HW 1060)
Oh yes of course, you are correct. The TBLE-04 also has a brushless motor mode. My error.
I recall pulling the ESC from the box and seeing what I thought were only two motor cables, figured it was for brushed motors only so I tossed it back in the box. I have it in front of me now and it obviously has three motor cables. I need to visit my optometrist. Anyway, comparing the specs, it appears that the biggest difference between the '02 and the '04 is the max continuous amp rating (60 vs 75).
I'm not familiar with the Carson ESC, does it also power brushless motors?
Doug

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:56 pm Anyway, comparing the specs, it appears that the biggest difference between the '02 and the '04 is the max continuous amp rating (60 vs 75).
Yes, it's also a bit confusing as it should be able to handle a 10.5T easily with those specs, while the instructions says no lower than 15.5T...
I'm not familiar with the Carson ESC, does it also power brushless motors?
No, it brushed only. I believe it is just a rebranded HW 1060WP...