MRC Thunder King

The place for all things MRC.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aeiou
Approved Member

Re: MRC Thunder King

Post by aeiou »

I’m using the battery rather than BEC because I wanted all that servo could put out. And it’s still not enough to turn it as quickly as I’d like, but I have another one I’m planning to install one of these days. It takes a lot to turn these things, especially with those big tires. The tires are Imex Dirt Dawgs and they are a perfect fit for the stock wheels, as are most of the E/T-Maxx sized tires. I don’t recall exactly why I mounted the motor on the high side, but I think there were some clearance issues.

One note about the brushless – I was never able to get the stock diff to hold on mine so I ended up locking it down. Had I spent more time on it, I’m sure there’s a better solution, but I thought it was worth mentioning. If I were to do it again, I’d probably drop down on the power from the 4.5.

That's a nice one you have. The chassis looks like it's barely been used.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Thanks for the info. The chassis only has one major scratch on it.... it looks like someone was using a power screwdriver and ran it down the ridge. It doesn't even look like a running scratch... it's got that power tool zig-zag to it. :roll: I plan on running it anyway, so no big deal.
Thanks for the info. I'll likely start with the 3100 motor. I'm also going to use a beefy servo and if I can get a parts donor to get the servo mounts, I may do a dual servo setup. I'll have to keep an eye out for those tires too.
BTW are the gears standard 32 pitch or are they something else? Obviously I'll have the two stock pinions to start with, but just in case I wanted to change gearing at some point.
Thanks!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok... I impatiently installed an LMT 3100 motor on 14.8v (MGM Compro 8012-3s esc). It's a bullet for such an enormous truck. :shock:
I think I'm going to install a 2nd steering servo or I may try the A&L steering stiffening kit I got on eBay. It still really needs a complete teardown... It's still got plastic bushings on the axles. :lol:
Anyways, I should have some donor trucks/parts soon. Maybe once I have spares in hand I will try the 4200 motor. :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff