Shelf Queen

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

chris72983
Approved Member

Shelf Queen

Post by chris72983 »

Here is some pics of my shelf queen. I have owned her from new. To give you a little history, My mom and dad bought the car when I was a kid and built it, we ran it very little. It was never raced and has spent most of its life in boxes. It is and always has been stock, except for the time we put the stealth transmission out of my RC10T in it. Hince 4 of the 5 extra holes in the chassis. With the 5th one drilled to make the servo horn easier to remove. I came across this site a few weeks ago, and every since a havent been able to quit messing with the car. I soaked all the white parts in a product call BH38. I have found this works far better than bleach. I have been thinking about turning it into a box art car, since I will never run it again anyway. I have a extra set of shocks, that I have already stripped the gold off of and have started machining the aluminum shock collars. What do yall think? Should I leave it the way it is or continue with the box art idea?

I have a build I have started like the cars in the What was old..... Is still old, but a lot newer thread. It will be a runner and, I will post some info on it as it progresses
Attachments
RC10 002.jpg
RC10 006.jpg
RC10 004.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Shelf Queen

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

The white parts look great. I'd say box art all the way. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

peuge73
Approved Member

Post by peuge73 »

depends on the body also, isn't it ?
local club president, but also family team manager - mecanic - official sponsor, and some times cruising my RC cars......YES!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.bmvrc.com/

chris72983
Approved Member

Post by chris72983 »

peuge73 wrote:depends on the body also, isn't it ?
If I go the box art route my new body will be painted box art. I didn't figure there was any need to show you a clear body. :mrgreen:

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

I don't quite get the whole "box art thing" ......

No offense, but ....... in no time at all we went from having literally no copies/copycats (since only rookies did anything like that back in the day) to suddenly now EVERYONE is doing it, thereby taking away any bit of origniality to their build.... and it won't be long that everyone's shelfqueen will look exactly the same.

CAN YOU SAY BOOOOOORING Image

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

NIce Car! But more importantly, where in Mississippi are you!?!? :shock: :lol:

chris72983
Approved Member

Post by chris72983 »

MONSTER wrote:NIce Car! But more importantly, where in Mississippi are you!?!? :shock: :lol:
Meridian
RER40 wrote:I don't quite get the whole "box art thing" ......

No offense, but ....... in no time at all we went from having literally no copies/copycats (since only rookies did anything like that back in the day) to suddenly now EVERYONE is doing it, thereby taking away any bit of origniality to their build.... and it won't be long that everyone's shelfqueen will look exactly the same.

My other option is to leave it the way it is and paint the new body back to the way it was when I was a kid. Somewhere in the time of 2 or 3 moves the original body was lost. It was very vintage, but very cool to me as a kid. My parents spent hours taping it off. Ill have to see if I can find some pics of it somewhere and scan them up. The base color was yellow, with silver and dark blue stripes, kind of striped like the box art car was.

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

chris72983 wrote:My other option is to leave it the way it is and paint the new body back to the way it was when I was a kid. Somewhere in the time of 2 or 3 moves the original body was lost. It was very vintage, but very cool to me as a kid. My parents spent hours taping it off. Ill have to see if I can find some pics of it somewhere and scan them up. The base color was yellow, with silver and dark blue stripes, kind of striped like the box art car was.
There ya go, that might be worth a shot - and definately higher on the cool-factor scale. :wink:

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

chris72983 wrote:
MONSTER wrote:NIce Car! But more importantly, where in Mississippi are you!?!? :shock: :lol:
Meridian
CRAP!! I dont think I'll EVER find someone "close", thats into Vintage RC like me. Anyone else have this trouble?? Heck, its hard to get anyone "into" RC period, in my area. Oh well, at least Im not the only Mississippian in here. :lol: Is every State of the Union represented here??

Sorry to go off Topic a bit.

chris72983
Approved Member

Post by chris72983 »

MONSTER wrote:
chris72983 wrote:
Meridian
CRAP!! I dont think I'll EVER find someone "close", thats into Vintage RC like me. Anyone else have this trouble?? Heck, its hard to get anyone "into" RC period, in my area. Oh well, at least Im not the only Mississippian in here. :lol: Is every State of the Union represented here??

Sorry to go off Topic a bit.
I pass through your area alot during football season, Headed about 90 miles north of you. :lol: :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

RER40 wrote:I don't quite get the whole "box art thing" ......

For me personally box art is a nostalgia thing. As I get older I try harder and harder to recapture my golden days. Remembering seeing all those ads and boxes on the shelf brings back great memories. I don't mean this in some sort of pathetic way where I can't move on. :lol: I'm extremely happy with life now, but still love to recapture the past. 8) My guess is that most people that belong to this forum feel the same. Just some more than others. The same with my music tastes. Growing up I always thought "I'm gonna stay current and not sit around listening to dinosaur music like my dad." Now that I'm older I see that when you get older you just don't care if people think you're "cool". That being said, I'm a major music addict and stay current, but get most enjoyment from 80's stuff.
:wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

I understand the whole nostalgia thing, that's why we're all here anyway. No?
What I don't get is copying/copykatting the same box art that's already been copied a ba-zillion times..... another ba-zillion times.
It's not doing anything original, it's like they need to start a thread here JUST for all the copykat schemes so everyone can say, "hey, mine looks like yours........woo-hoo."

I'm not saying to replicate a new-style paintscheme on an old car, that would be just as dumpb-looking.
Back in the day, nobody did any of the current tribal/slash marks, raindrop-looking clones that are so popular today -- everyone was doing some kind of stripes or modular artwork or something. So if you want the nostalgia look go that route......

I'm just saying, old-school is cool -- but be original. :wink:

Oh, and just out of curiosity, was there anything worth listening to from the 80s?? :lol:
Wasn't that the all-time era of the kings of the one-hit-wonders?? :lol:

:mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:For me personally box art is a nostalgia thing. As I get older I try harder and harder to recapture my golden days. Remembering seeing all those ads and boxes on the shelf brings back great memories. I don't mean this in some sort of pathetic way where I can't move on. :lol: I'm extremely happy with life now, but still love to recapture the past. 8) My guess is that most people that belong to this forum feel the same. Just some more than others. The same with my music tastes. Growing up I always thought "I'm gonna stay current and not sit around listening to dinosaur music like my dad." Now that I'm older I see that when you get older you just don't care if people think you're "cool". That being said, I'm a major music addict and stay current, but get most enjoyment from 80's stuff.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

RER40 wrote:I understand the whole nostalgia thing, that's why we're all here anyway. No?
What I don't get is copying/copykatting the same box art that's already been copied a ba-zillion times..... another ba-zillion times.
It's not doing anything original, it's like they need to start a thread here JUST for all the copykat schemes so everyone can say, "hey, mine looks like yours........woo-hoo."

I'm not saying to replicate a new-style paintscheme on an old car, that would be just as dumpb-looking.
Back in the day, nobody did any of the current tribal/slash marks, raindrop-looking clones that are so popular today -- everyone was doing some kind of stripes or modular artwork or something. So if you want the nostalgia look go that route......

I'm just saying, old-school is cool -- but be original. :wink:

Oh, and just out of curiosity, was there anything worth listening to from the 80s?? :lol:
Wasn't that the all-time era of the kings of the one-hit-wonders?? :lol:

:mrgreen:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:For me personally box art is a nostalgia thing. As I get older I try harder and harder to recapture my golden days. Remembering seeing all those ads and boxes on the shelf brings back great memories. I don't mean this in some sort of pathetic way where I can't move on. :lol: I'm extremely happy with life now, but still love to recapture the past. 8) My guess is that most people that belong to this forum feel the same. Just some more than others. The same with my music tastes. Growing up I always thought "I'm gonna stay current and not sit around listening to dinosaur music like my dad." Now that I'm older I see that when you get older you just don't care if people think you're "cool". That being said, I'm a major music addict and stay current, but get most enjoyment from 80's stuff.
Trust me, with my spray paint cans all my paintjobs look "old school". :lol:
What was good from the 80's?? Oh man, you missed the bus brutha... 8)
Ken

RER40
Approved Member

Post by RER40 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Trust me, with my spray paint cans all my paintjobs look "old school". :lol:
I won concourse/best paint using spray cans back in the 80s, and nobody today believes I don't own an airbrush.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:What was good from the 80's?? Oh man, you missed the bus brutha... 8)
Flock of Seagulls??
Soft Cell?
Thomas Dolby?
Kajagoogoo?
Dexy's Midnight Runners?
Big Country?
Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

Need another one-hit wonder? :lol: :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

RER40 wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Trust me, with my spray paint cans all my paintjobs look "old school". :lol:
I won concourse/best paint using spray cans back in the 80s, and nobody today believes I don't own an airbrush.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:What was good from the 80's?? Oh man, you missed the bus brutha... 8)
Flock of Seagulls??
Soft Cell?
Thomas Dolby?
Kajagoogoo?
Dexy's Midnight Runners?
Big Country?
Frankie Goes to Hollywood?

Need another one-hit wonder? :lol: :lol:
:lol: Hey, you put all those one-hit wonders together and you have one helluva playlist. Don't even get me started on 80's stuff. I have enough trouble shutting up as it is... :lol:
Ken