24" BMX bikes

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

24" BMX bikes

Post by shodog »

I have been kinda bitten with the bug to get a 24" bmx bike and start racing BMX again. My question is what is the hot shit bike out there to have. I don't mind dumping some ccoin if it will hold up to my 230lbs clydesdale weight

SofaKing
Approved Member

Re: 24" BMX bikes

Post by SofaKing »

If you're looking for something to beat up as opposed to something vintage, you should check out SE Racing. They're not American made anymore but they've been pumping out a lot of their retro designs. Check out the Flyer tab and the retro tab, you'll find they even have a 29" Big Ripper.

http://www.sebikes.com/

Dave

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i got an old(er) torker 24" that i like alot. the torker is built like a tank, i'm sure there are lighter bikes but i can definitely state its plenty sturdy, its got that retro twin tube vibe as well.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

It's too bad Kappa is out of business. I've got a Kappa K24, it's the smoothest bmx I've ever ridden. Old school looks with all the good new school technology and quality. Plus, they were made in Michigan.

I've heard mostly good reviews about the new SE bikes. I know some of them have had issues with the bottom brackets and headsets. They do look cool, but I would never buy one simply because I won't buy a Chinese bike when you can buy a quality American made frame for the same price.

If I was going to build a new crusier to race, (well, if I didn't have my Kappa) I'd build an S&M 38 Special. They're made in California, they've been around for years and they are known for their quality and craftsmanship. Plus they're 4130, I don't really like aluminum frames.
http://www.sandmbikes.com/

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Just remembered another quality US frame maker. Brew. They don't make a lot of frames, so you'd probably have something that not everybody has, but from what I understand they are very high quality. And, if you want to go nuts, you can go to Brew and take a frame building class and build your own frame yourself. I think it's pretty expensive, but I'd love to do it some day.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id31.htm

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

I forgot about Kappa, I didn't realize they weren't around anymore. I remember seeing a couple of their limited runs and one off's that I wanted badly. I have to agree with you Melvins about the Chinese made bikes. Although I have to admit my 2001 GT pro series 24 is only "designed" in the U.S. not assembled and that was before the Pacific buyout. I still dig it though.
Attachments
2001 Pro Series 24 - 4.JPG

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

That's one sharp looking GT! 8)

Yeah, Scott Hice announced over on vintagebmx.com a few months ago that he has no plans to make any more Kappa frames. He said he would accept offers to buy the company. Through emails with him he told me that he's not totally closing up shop just yet, but there are no plans to build any more frames.

Hutch is back in business. A new guy bought the rights and is already selling pedals and pads. He has plans to make frames, but I doubt they would be out this year.

Here's my Kappa K24.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That's a nice bike scott. I think the only change I would make is a regular 3 cross front wheel instead of radial lacing. Us big boys need the strength. I poked around on ePay and found one of those 38 special frames for $399. Building a bike up from parts is pricey. I've did it will all my MTB and road bikes. I would rather find a nice built one. I kick myself for not jumping on a vintage redline for $50

SofaKing
Approved Member

Post by SofaKing »

Now that's a nice looking bike! Gotta love a nice looptail. Didn't I read in the other thread that you lace your own wheels? I love the look on the front one. Thanks for the compliment on the GT, I also have a Redline PL24 that's almost finished (early 90's shorter headtube). Once it's finished I'll have to put up a pic in the BMX thread.

Hutch is back in business :o , you don't say. Maybe I'll finally be able to get a XL24 without having to take out a loan.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

shodog wrote:That's a nice bike scott. I think the only change I would make is a regular 3 cross front wheel instead of radial lacing. Us big boys need the strength. I poked around on ePay and found one of those 38 special frames for $399. Building a bike up from parts is pricey. I've did it will all my MTB and road bikes. I would rather find a nice built one. I kick myself for not jumping on a vintage redline for $50
I've been looking myself. :shock: I thought my r/c habit was expensive. I've decided to buy a cheaper one make sure I'm into it enough before dropping any serious coin. I'm not naive enough to think that it would be cheap, but I had no idea. :(
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks guys. I laced the wheels on my GT Pro Freestyle Tour and now on my JMC too. But, the wheels on the Kappa came like that, they are complete FMF Powermoto wheels.

You're right, building a bike usually costs a bit more than buying a complete, it's just like an r/c car. I'd probably be looking for something gently used. SE's price points for their completes a bit steep though, I think the Quad 24 is about $800. You could easily build a totally sweet S&M for not much more than that. That $50 PL24 would have been a great pick up.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I love the bmx bikes. . . to look at, My butt prefers the plush suspension of a good MTB :mrgreen:
I came This close (holding finger and thumb really close)to buying my daughter a redline bmx this past weekend but the wife nearly flipped at the price, and nobody local had the right size in stock.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i would post a pic of my torker, but my online picture host of the last 5 or so years lost almost all my images...

i had like 20 or so gigs of info, and 'poof' its gone.

:x

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

badhoopty wrote:i would post a pic of my torker, but my online picture host of the last 5 or so years lost almost all my images...

i had like 20 or so gigs of info, and 'poof' its gone.

:x
So much for the "security" of online storage. Sorry for the loss, I know how much work it was to take the images and get them online.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Here's some good inspiration for a retro 24 build, 13 pages worth: http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27007391

Should give you a good idea of what all is out there.