Sanding RC10 Graphite chassis question(updated 3/4)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Sanding RC10 Graphite chassis question(updated 3/4)

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I have one of the graphite chassis that has the AE symbol etched in it and have a question about re-conditioning it. It is in great shape other than the very front being a bit frayed on one side from one or more hard crashes. I got it off ebay for $20 'cause it was described as a "Durtrax". A few good white parts, but most are beyond cleaning. Anyway, if I sand down the frayed area will it stay smooth or just keep going? I'd really like to try and salvage it.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Sanding RC10 Graphite chassis question

Post by aconsola »

I don't have a direct answer for you, but what about filling in the rough areas with fresh epoxy and just shaping/sanding that to match the surrounding areas, so you don't lose material?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

That may work, but it's pretty bad. A jigsaw might be better than sanding though.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

It really depends on how far back the damage goes. I did the same thing to this chassis using a bench top belt sander (made one heck of a mess, but worked OK). When I got it, there were some pretty nasty-looking dings on the front corners. Fortunately, it was not delaminated past those areas, and the damage didn't extend so far back as to prevent an even “cut”.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

ae: I would love it if mine turns out that good. I'm gonna go for it. It can't make it any worse. thanks
Ken

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

try to spread the layers apart a little, and get some ca glue in between them. then, use either a vice grip or c-clamp to squeeze them back together. let it sit until dry, then do whatever sanding/shaping you need to.

a pic would help out, too. :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

scr8p wrote:try to spread the layers apart a little, and get some ca glue in between them. then, use either a vice grip or c-clamp to squeeze them back together. let it sit until dry, then do whatever sanding/shaping you need to.

a pic would help out, too. :wink:
Hah! Yeah, I know. I always think of this stuff at work so I can't get pics. I'm also pic posting challenged. I can only get links to work. :oops:
Ken

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

What scr8p said is totally spot on to the t i have done that also on two rc10 chassis and many of my rc10l carbon fiber chassis. One was so bad i actually sanded thru one layer of carbon weve to the next and clear coated with lacquer and it looked brand new if the damage is deep try going down one layer on the hole thing.
Ryan

MarkFlores

Post by MarkFlores »

I've also done what was suggested, use CA. I had a chassis with a nose that was not only frayed but chunked. I kept on building up the CA until I had enough to sand it back into shape. It turned up nice enough to pass and lool like the original. It might be not as tough for actual use though. One bump and it wil surely crack. :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Sanding RC10 Graphite chassis question(updated 3/4)

I had gotten away from this to work on an HPI for a bit, but am getting back to it while waiting for parts. There is a bit of CA where the servo will go that is being stubborn. What is the best way to safely remove it? I still have to cut the chassis back unless the pics help with solutions. Ignore the pins and ugly work on the arms. I just needed them in place to get some measurements for my project.
Ken

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

acetone should dissolve the CA, I doubt it will harm the epoxy in the carbon fiber, but test it in an inconspicuous spot first. Otherwise, lightly sand or file it until it's as flat as you want it to be. if you hold the file lightly, it will just take the high spots off. Patience is key here.

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

I just did the same to my chassis. To get the glue off I soaked the spot with acetone and used a sharp chisel layed down flat against the chassis. Worked great!