Picked up a B&D Screwdriver

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Picked up a B&D Screwdriver

Post by y2kgtp »

Got one of these as I take alot of stuff apart....and sometimes even put it back together.....works nice so far. I have some
Ofna hex drivers that fit the chuck in transit.....can't wait to get them too......40$ at WallyWorld.

I'd rather forward reverse be top and bottom of the big trigger like a rocker, but it's a switch on the top of the driver....no big deal.

It weighs 12oz

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=10952#

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Re: Picked up a B&D Screwdriver

Post by Bongo Fury »

Ryobi has one that has a rocker switch for direction. Also a chuck lock and a torque limiter (I use setting 3). Not sure on the weight, but I think its similar to the B&D. Sure feels light, with a lithium battery that stays charged. Home Depot for $30. Cheaper than the Ofna bits (well maybe, I got mine for just under $30).

These (both brands, plus the Skil unit) are becoming almost standard equipment at our tracks, highly recommended. Much handier for our models than the full size nicad rechargables of old.
Ryobi.jpg
Ryobi.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Ryobi.jpg
Ryobi.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 612 times

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Bongo Fury wrote:Ryobi has one that has a rocker switch for direction. Also a chuck lock and a torque limiter (I use setting 3). Not sure on the weight, but I think its similar to the B&D. Sure feels light, with a lithium battery that stays charged. Home Depot for $30. Cheaper than the Ofna bits (well maybe, I got mine for under just under $30).

These (both brands, plus the Skil unit) are becoming almost standard equipment at our tracks, highly recommended. Much handier for our models than the full size nicad rechargables of old.
Ryobi.jpg

Sure, now you tell me about this one! :twisted: I may go check it out, and return my B&D model to wal-mart.....good thing I never throw boxes out for a few weeks on stuff I get

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Of course I just saw the Menard's ad, and it has a MasterForce Lithium Ion 3.6v Cordless screwdriver for 19.99 with a 5$ mail in rebate.....5 year warranty....

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Bongo Fury wrote:Ryobi has one that has a rocker switch for direction. Also a chuck lock and a torque limiter (I use setting 3). Not sure on the weight, but I think its similar to the B&D. Sure feels light, with a lithium battery that stays charged. Home Depot for $30. Cheaper than the Ofna bits (well maybe, I got mine for just under $30).

Ryobi.jpg
So this one is kinda like a mini drill, it looks like. I really like the B&D, regardless it was a bit pricy. It's already nicely mounted to my wall as well.....

EDIT:
Ryobi is not available online, and not at any of the local stores near me.....guess it was ment to be :lol:

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

The Ryobi is more of a screwdriver than a drill, similar to the B&D. The chuck is for the standard hex shaped bits (1/4"?), but it locks them in so the bit doesn't get jammed in the screw and pull out of the driver. The rotational speed is fairly low. Probably OK for drilling in plastic and such, but perhaps a little low for small bits in metal. Perfect for my RC use.

But any of them are a nice addition to the tool box. Just built my x-mas present (way too new to be interesting here, a Losi XXX T CR), saved a lot of wrist work for sure. Comes in real handy for all of the tire changing we do at the track.

Cheers