2.2" F/R 3-piece jelly bean alloy rims - PICS in the page 4

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Re: making alloy rims - need opinions

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

59burst wrote:o.k you guys are going to 2.2". I'll care of that
I just thought I'd add that when Bugle made 2.2" alloy wheels in the original "jelly bean" style people were very interested;

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3012&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

murphy3428 wrote:The one thing that I found bad with those aluminum optima wheels that pargu2000 is making is the weight of the wheels there find for a shelfqueen but not a runner he needs to take off those ribs so foams can be added which would remove alot of weight.
this project is definitely for runners. I want light and strong rims for my RC10s. and, you can choose any color from his alloy parts inventory. of course it needs extra $.

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
59burst wrote:o.k you guys are going to 2.2". I'll care of that
I just thought I'd add that when Bugle made 2.2" alloy wheels in the original "jelly bean" style people were very interested;

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3012&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

if I'm going to 2.2 single piece, the front rims would look similar with Bugle's work. and the rear ones will have steps inside like the original one.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Yeah too bad I couldn't make em for $76 a set :P

Definitely leave out those ribs like on the optima rims. I just made mine like a normal B3 wheel and it's light enough to run and hasn't bent, still over two times the weight of a plastic rim though.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I am glad that bugle mentioned that. I think it is important for everyone to take a moment and think about what he said...... I mean REALLY think about it, so when someone either thinks they can do a project themselves or freaks out when they see a price they think (keyword) is too high they really appreciate the time, effort, materials, eqiupment, etc, etc, cost that goes into stuff like this.

Designers are expensive. Aluminum along with all other metals has gone up in price. God only knows what type of machiney bugle and others are using to machine these (I can imagine with some background in this area). Then you have the time spent by a quality guy for a quality product. You can always assume a certain scrap rate as well. I know what Roush's machinist rates where when I worked there and I have a pretty good idea of how long it would take do something like this, from the manual perspective. And unless you are making thousands or are the Pres/CEO of that company with a personal project and can throw your weight around, it doesn't make business sense to go automated. 9 time out of 10 those machines are running around the clock and are set up for either a certain step in the process or one specific part.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

thanks bugle and mrlexan.
I cannot figure out the exact price at this moment. but, I don't think it could be $76. slightly higher than optima's. he picked better, it means lighter and stronger material. and that alloy is more expensive than he used to work with. and, he is finding right pipe to make inner rings. 1-piece could be a simple solution on the price and the size. but, I prefer 2-piece.
some conditions fixed are
1. jelly bean style
2. fits 2.2" tires
3. light and strong alloy
4. good for holding tires, or gluing at least
thanks for your valuable advices.

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

3D design finished.
went to almost complete jelly bean wheels except the plastic rings. 2-piece 2.1" front wheels need the plastic rings from #6854. the tape trick from yokomo would be useful for 2.2" tires. I tried old 2.1" and recent 2.2" tires. and, got no issue. :D
the rear wheels are 2.2". found right material samples to be milled, chopped and turn to be the rings holding tires. I didn't make a same choice on the front ones to save time and money.
Attachments
rear
rear
front
front

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: making alloy rims - need opinions - Pics UPDATE

Post by aconsola »

I don't have any 2.2" buggy tires to look at myself, but before you go ahead with making these wheels I would suggest you look at some tires first to make sure they will work with the inner rings.
The reason I say this is I tried to put 2.2" Truck tires on an old set of 3-piece wheels and they would not fit. The truck tires I wanted to use (j-concepts, and panther brands) did not have a squared transition/lip from the bead to the sidewall, there were ribs running radially for reinforcement. If the 2.2" buggy tires have the same ribs it is unlikely that they will fit onto 3-piece wheels as there is no place for the rings to seat.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

If the ring doesn't work with some tyres you could just glue it taking care to sit the tyre bead right to the outsides of the rim.

What grade alloy were the optima ones? I used 2011-T3, it's slightly stronger than 6061-T6 but doesn't anodise as well.. 7075-T6 would be overkill but could make it a bit lighter, hate to think how much that would cost!

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

Bugle wrote:If the ring doesn't work with some tyres you could just glue it taking care to sit the tyre bead right to the outsides of the rim.

What grade alloy were the optima ones? I used 2011-T3, it's slightly stronger than 6061-T6 but doesn't anodise as well.. 7075-T6 would be overkill but could make it a bit lighter, hate to think how much that would cost!
7075 for this project. it's pricy here too. and 7075 for optima wheels he said. I just made a phone call and got this answer. I had worng information on optima's.

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

aconsola wrote:I don't have any 2.2" buggy tires to look at myself, but before you go ahead with making these wheels I would suggest you look at some tires first to make sure they will work with the inner rings.
The reason I say this is I tried to put 2.2" Truck tires on an old set of 3-piece wheels and they would not fit. The truck tires I wanted to use (j-concepts, and panther brands) did not have a squared transition/lip from the bead to the sidewall, there were ribs running radially for reinforcement. If the 2.2" buggy tires have the same ribs it is unlikely that they will fit onto 3-piece wheels as there is no place for the rings to seat.
I'll test many tires as I can. thanks
and, same on front ones too.

59burst
Approved Member

Re: making alloy rims - 2.2" F/R 3-piece jelly bean

Post by 59burst »

no more hassel with the size.
2.2" F/R 2-piece alloy rims and new built rings for F/R both. :D

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

BTW don't get offended but can I just ask, are you making these just for yourself? Or are you making them for others? If you say others do you know how many people will buy them?

As has been mentioned this is going to be very expensive. Please think about it carefully and don't agree to produce 100 wheels without buyers as they just won't sell.

Good luck.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

just a thought: why don't you use the trick hpi pulled on their star wheels: one design fits-all wheels ( with help of the hpi adapter set, which is still for sale)
That way you can extend your potential buyer group a lot.

Qballll
Approved Member

Post by Qballll »

59Burst,
If you need new tire to try I have Team Losi A-7372R 2.2 taper pin Red with foam New in bag, I'll send a set if it helps. PM me.
Good luck!
Q.