- Big Boy Toys Sprint Car resto (update 4 March 2014) -

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

- Big Boy Toys Sprint Car resto (update 4 March 2014) -

Post by Asso_man! »

This was one of the missing combo in my RC10 collection and I must say I dig it, though totally unpopular here in Europe! Purchased it a few weeks ago and finally found some spare time to shoot it before restoring it. It's in pretty good shape, with minor scratches on the bottom of the chassis. Almost all plastic parts will have to be replaced though. I already have some new white Andy's a-arms for it, I'll keep the shocks, polish and clean all aluminum parts, and replace the tires, already have some nice Pro-Line Octigrab for the rear 8) . My dream would be to find a Trackmaster tranny and an Hyperdrive set-up for it, still searching for those (if anyone can help me, please PM me :!: ).
Anyway, this resto will have to wait long before being finished as I don't have any bench at the moment and my little boy is taking all the attention it deserves :mrgreen: Cheers guys, enjoy!!

I don't know if this is a common set-up for oval racing, but the previous owner reversed the front C-hubs and had to remove material on the front arms to make it work properly :shock:

Has anyone ever seen that battery holder set-up :?: the plastic bar is not a stock AE one...

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: - Big Boy Toys Sprint Car resto -

Post by Eau Rouge »

Looks good! Flip those rear tires to the opposite sides and I'll check to see if my graphite Trackmaster diff is still in my storage. That would look sweet in there. :)

doug

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Looks great. Nice addition to the collection. I believe that battery bar to be traxxas. I have one on one of my trx1 that looks identical to it and I know the steel chrome uprights are definitely traxxas for the bar. Use alot of them around here for body mounts as well as battery bar mounts.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Asso_man! wrote: I don't know if this is a common set-up for oval racing, but the previous owner reversed the front C-hubs and had to remove material on the front arms to make it work properly :shock:
Has anyone ever seen that battery holder set-up :?: the plastic bar is not a stock AE one...
The front c-hubs are turned around because of the flat chassis. If you keep the caster blocks on the normal way but flatten out the bulkhead mounting spot, you wind up with reverse caster. Take a look at my BBT build thread for the picture, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4495
If you want to aviod cutting anything you will need 30 degree blocks. these are actually straight blocks with the hinge pin hole 90 degrees to the king pin. you could then put the blocks on the proper side and will have 0 caster.

As stated above, the battery strap and the studs it is clipped to appear to be traxxas products.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Cheetah Racing used to make caster wedges for that chassis, too, that slipped little nylon wedges under the front suspension mount bulkhead blocks. Not very common, but when you find them they are relatively cheap to buy because most people don't know what they are.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Eau Rouge wrote:Cheetah Racing used to make caster wedges for that chassis, too, that slipped little nylon wedges under the front suspension mount bulkhead blocks. Not very common, but when you find them they are relatively cheap to buy because most people don't know what they are.
I used a set of those, initially I just had one thick aluminum washer under the bulkhead at the front screw mount hole.
Asso_man!, I updated my thread with pics of the wedges in case those interest you.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: - Big Boys Toys Sprint Car resto -

Post by Asso_man! »

Enjoying some days off here for X-mas, took time to rebuild a Trackmaster tranny and revamped it with a Hyper-Drive spur gear set-up, belts all around and tranny plates flipped around. I think it will match the other aluminum parts on the BBT quite well, one Day... Happy X-mas to you all and a Happy New-Year already :!: 8)

railey72
Approved Member

Post by railey72 »

Great addition to your sprint. That works slick to just swap the plates around to use the Hyper-Drive. I am re-building a BBT sprint right now and have the same tranny to put in. Your right, the aluminum plates match up very well with metal roll cage. I thought about doing the Hyper-Drive conversion as well if I can find one. Yours looks sweet having just belts. I would think it should sound cool too.
Nice Work.

y2kgtp
Approved Member

Post by y2kgtp »

Man, I so wanted that trans back in the day....I just love the sound of a belt driven RC...

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Digging out this very old thread now that I finally found some spare time to work a bit on my somewhat "abandoned" projects. Been working like a mad dog on this car during the last week end. Everything has been tear down and almost every single part but the cage and chassis has been thrown out either because they were too much worn out or didn't match the project I have in mind. The cage has been cleaned and polished (but not too much) and I almost got rid of all the scuffs that were present underneath the nerf bars. The Quick Drive tranny with the Hyper Drive set-up is now installed together with a sweet vintage Checkpoint motor. I did a mock up with all the suspension parts (arms, knuckles, tie rods, shocks...) but it is far from being on wheels as the polishing part is taking a loooooooong time, lol. I'll post some pics later on, hopefully on Friday, stay tuned and enjoy this teaser if ever anyone reads this so far :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

where's the updated pics?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

shodog wrote:where's the updated pics?
looks like you didn't read up to the end Jim lmao :lol:

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Asso_man! wrote:
looks like you didn't read up to the end Jim lmao :lol:
Asso_man! wrote:I'll post some pics later on, hopefully on Friday,
I saw that you'll post pics later but why not post a few teasers of this sweet buggy now?

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

The car is at my parents' right now, I'll go there on Tuesday and shoot a few pics just for you Jim 8)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Eau Rouge wrote:Cheetah Racing used to make caster wedges for that chassis, too, that slipped little nylon wedges under the front suspension mount bulkhead blocks. Not very common, but when you find them they are relatively cheap to buy because most people don't know what they are.
Can someone let me know the angle of these wedges? I would really like to find some or make them myself, should be quite easy, but I would prefer the Cheetah ones :mrgreen: hint hint