Good for Alex! MIP Auction

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Good for Alex! MIP Auction

Post by mrlexan »

WOW, did you guys see the end of Alex's MIP conversion auction. That's just plain nuts. If my memory serves me right, he bought that on a BIN for $350.00.... did not touch it for like a year and a half, then it pushes $1000. WOW. I need to offer one of mine up.... Xmas is definitely in the air.

Good for you Alex. Now you can buy all your buddies gifts this year!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i agree, thats absolutely nuts... i checked that auction only an hour or so ago and it was around 700, which i thought was insane.

its kinda bittersweet seeing prices like that... but regardless, congrats alex!!

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

I think the winning bidder also cleaned house on some MIP parts that recently sold for the tamiya srb cars, and he went all out on those too, yikes!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

These cars are that rare and in the whole grand scheme of things are just a drop in the bucket price compared to other collectables

InetRC
Approved Member

Post by InetRC »

Hey guys.. thanks...

Actually Jay, that one that sold I did buy amost a year ago, but I bought it from Japan. It was $500 + $60 shipping so it didn't sell for too much more than what was paid for it. It sold for roughly what I expected.

The one you are thinking of is the MIP Legends conversion on my custom orange chassis.

I'm about ready to drop one more MIP conversion on Ebay this Tuesday since I have a couple more but I keep talking myself out of it. We'll see.

Jim - you are so right about the prices. A few years ago when I was into redline Hotwheels I was selling some of my hard to find cars and prototypes from $2,000 to $5,500 (white enamel camaro prototype)... imagine now how much those hard to find hot wheels went up in value! So yes, to some of us it's not really that big a deal what these RC cars command. As time keeps going by, prices on certain models (like Bruisers) will keep going up. Despite those on Tamiya Club that say you shouldn't invest in RC or you can't make money - they're pretty unknoweldgeable about their own hobby and have their head in the sand.

-Alex

P.S.. Most of you guys should already know I'm good for a dinner and drink if you're ever in the area. No need for me to sell a car for that! LOL! :)

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

InetRC wrote:A few years ago when I was into redline Hotwheels I was selling some of my hard to find cars and prototypes from $2,000 to $5,500 (white enamel camaro prototype)

That was YOU?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

We are all definitely riddled with an illness. LOL :lol:

InetRC
Approved Member

Post by InetRC »

LOL... twas me... anyone into redlines back in the day most likely knew my company Toyinc.com since I dealt on the higher end of the collectible scale (I'd show up to the conventions with a lot of NIB and prototypes and every color cord ever made in mint or NIB cond) - had a lot of great friends and a lot of others that blamed a few of us for bringing prices up, which was rediculous but based on the reputation I suppose I garnered when I gave someone close to $30k for 96 little hot wheel cars. Then the criticism got an all time worse for us when Bruce Pascal paid his reported $72k for his protoype pink beach bomb. I remember the original seller driving a nice black R/T Viper thereafter. All for one little hot wheel.

I believe I'm still given credit on the GranToros.com site since I had one of the largest Mattel Gran Toro collections as well. :)

Ahhh... those were the days! I scaled back and now I'm just a simple little RC collector. LOL! ;)

-Alex

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Wow, that's too funny. I was right in the middle of that Redline boom, too. I was small taters, but I only collected the Gran Prix cars like the Brabham F1 or the McLaren CanAm car. I still have all of them in a case, and I will probably sell them all soon. I had one of the infamous orange enamel McLarens still in the package (that supposedly didn't exist). That was the rarest piece I ever had or sold, and that was a $1000 car.

I'm pretty sure I bought cars from you, Alex, that I probably still have in my display cases. :lol:

Too funny.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

just a quick question, am i the only one who gets kinda bummed out seeing prices get like that?

dont get me wrong, i LIKE knowing that all the money i've spent on little buggies wasnt a complete waste. i just dont know if i'm ready yet for my collection to be worth more than i can afford, if that make any sense...

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Even funnier... I just checked my eBay records, and I SOLD you something in February of 2000. LOL. Now I wonder what car it was.

Yeah, after that whole tour of o2bfunny with the pink Beach Bomb, I started to remove myself from the Hot Wheels world. With Chris claiming to have sold it because he lost his job and needed the money, then showing up a few weeks later with the new black Viper at a Viper's clube event, I lost all of my taste for the hobby. The prices got too out of control, and too hard to keep up with even the simplest of diecast cars. It stopped being fun.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

badhoopty wrote:just a quick question, am i the only one who gets kinda bummed out seeing prices get like that?

No you aren't. I get really upset to see the prices of stuff like that escalate that quickly. We're approaching the point where there will not be any more "deals" to be found anywhere, and any purchases you make for items that you want will be paid through the nose. It will quickly become a game for guys who carry a lot of cash, and that removes a lot of the entertainment in the collecting part. It's exacly like what happened in Hot Wheels 5-6 years ago.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

on one hand you can say that 70k for a hot wheels car is rediculous. but on the other, you cant deny thats the american dream...

i just hope i manage to get a few more really cool rigs built to add to my collection before it gets too financially competitive. sadly, i'll never be the dude payin large coin, but down the road i gotta admit i most likely wouldnt mind being the one recieving it.

coxy-ben
Approved Member

Re: Good for Alex! MIP Auction

Post by coxy-ben »

mrlexan wrote:WOW, did you guys see the end of Alex's MIP conversion auction. That's just plain nuts. If my memory serves me right, he bought that on a BIN for $350.00.... did not touch it for like a year and a half, then it pushes $1000. WOW. I need to offer one of mine up.... Xmas is definitely in the air.

Good for you Alex. Now you can buy all your buddies gifts this year!
what is the link of this ebay bid ?

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Good for Alex! MIP Auction

Post by shodog »

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

Here is my 2 cents on prices. With Hot Wheels, 99.9% of the people who buy them do so because they want to collect them. With that in mind, just about everyone has to have a particular model despite the price. With R/C cars, we can collect them and/or race them. Back in the day, the percentage of racers heavily out weighed the amount of collectors so prices were reasonably stable, until recently I suppose. Also, I guess it doesn't hurt that many RCs are vintage now too. I personally am a racer at heart, but have a high respect for any found collector. Where somebody finds it reasonable to spend thousands of dollars on an RC kit, I find reasonable to spend loads of my money on high end chargers, batteries, and motors. Nevermind the devaluation I lose because we are in this hobby for the enjoyment and satisfaction of collecting and/or racing :D