Early 80's Kyosho Rocky 4WD

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Makers
Approved Member

Early 80's Kyosho Rocky 4WD

Post by Makers »

I recently dusted off the Rocky 4WD I built in the early 80s and used and handful of times around my yard back then. It's fully functional and I'm wondering if there's a market for these. Any info anyone might have would be greatly appreciated! It's been in a box in my basement for 40 years. Time for it to go!

coxbros1

Re: Early 80's Kyosho Rocky 4WD

Post by coxbros1 »

Got any pics?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

There's a market for everything. However...

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7465
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

I think you may've misunderstood my question @Coelacanth. I wasn't asking what the car might be worth, rather I'm interested to know if there's even a market for it before I toss it in the trash. Thanks for your reply just the same.

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

Thanks for your reply, @coxbros1. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 pm Got any pics?
Looks like I need permission to post pics. Standby!

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Just make sure the file size is under 3Mb. Should be no problem to post using the attachments tab below.
1000010761.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 am Just make sure the file size is under 3Mb. Should be no problem to post using the attachments tab below.
1000010761.png
I don't have an "attachments tab" on my view, and the FAQs imply it must be enabled by a moderator (sys admin?)

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:57 pm Got any pics?
Here you go, finally! Thanks @Frankentruck !
Attachments
IMG_7394 Large.jpeg
IMG_7395 Large.jpeg
IMG_7396 Large.jpeg
IMG_7397 Large.jpeg

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Nice example!
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Real cool car...check your private messages.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

He'll have to wait until he amasses 30 posts as we just put a new rule into effect of no PM usage for new members. Unfortunately, people creating accounts just to hassle other members with zero intention of actually ever using the board has gotten out of hand.

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

Lowgear wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:38 am He'll have to wait until he amasses 30 posts as we just put a new rule into effect of no PM usage for new members. Unfortunately, people creating accounts just to hassle other members with zero intention of actually ever using the board has gotten out of hand.
And so in the interest of getting to 30 posts(!), let me see if I can pick a few brains to figure out what I have here. I saw just one ad on ebay for a Rocky - actually it's for a pair of Rockys - and the seller is asking $1089. Is there something quite so special about this model? It looks to me you can buy a new kit (of equivalent quality???) for $300-$500 or so. Thanks for any time spent replying. I'd love to know more about what I have. In fact, this one was a gift so I didn't pick it out myself.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Makers wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:54 am
And so in the interest of getting to 30 posts(!), let me see if I can pick a few brains to figure out what I have here. I saw just one ad on ebay for a Rocky - actually it's for a pair of Rockys - and the seller is asking $1089. Is there something quite so special about this model? It looks to me you can buy a new kit (of equivalent quality???) for $300-$500 or so. Thanks for any time spent replying. I'd love to know more about what I have. In fact, this one was a gift so I didn't pick it out myself.
Is that eBay seller from Japan? For whatever reason they post hugely inflated prices and shipping fees. Don't know if they ever sell but I think more likely they just time out. People can put whatever amount they want on a buy-it-now listing, so I wouldn't count that as reliable.

I'd call the Rocky a sort of mid entry level/basher type car, well before bashers became such a big market, so I think flew a bit under the radar compared to the racers that were more popular at the time, which would eventually get retired to basher status when they became obsolete. I get the feeling that the Raider is currently more popular than the Rocky because the Raider platform got refreshed and rereleased a few times. But, generally, it's appeal is going to be someone that was a fan in the 80's that wishes they had one again, so I think a little bit niche. Only reason I got one was my mom's, friend's son went into the military and heard I was into rc at the time. Of course, I was into racing and it mostly sat to the side for decades in favor of my old racers until I started tinkering with it.

Yours is in GREAT condition. A lot of people will envy your intact steering horn and differential outdrives. There's not much aftermarket available for them. The few kyosho option parts seem to have largely dried up and demand a premium when they do show up. Also they seem to only share some parts with the Raider platform.

The only variation of the Rocky is the Turbo Rocky that I dont think was sold in the US?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

Makers
Approved Member

Post by Makers »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:11 pm
Makers wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:54 am
Is that eBay seller from Japan? For whatever reason they post hugely inflated prices and shipping fees. Don't know if they ever sell but I think more likely they just time out. People can put whatever amount they want on a buy-it-now listing, so I wouldn't count that as reliable.

I'd call the Rocky a sort of mid entry level/basher type car, well before bashers became such a big market, so I think flew a bit under the radar compared to the racers that were more popular at the time, and later got retired to basher status when they became obsolete. I get the feeling that the Raider is currently more popular than the Rocky because the Raider platform got refreshed and rereleased a few times. But, generally, it's appeal is going to be someone that was a fan in the 80's that wishes they had one again, so I think a little bit niche. Only reason I got one was my mom's, friend's son went into the military and heard I was into rc at the time. Of course, I was into racing and it mostly sat to the side for decades in favor of my old racers until I started tinkering with it.

Yours is in GREAT condition. A lot of people will envy your intact steering horn and differential outdrives. There's not much aftermarket available for them. The few kyosho option parts seem to have largely dried up and demand a premium when they do. Also they seem to only share some parts with the Raider platform.

The only variation of the Rocky is the Turbo Rocky that I dont think was sold in the US?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
Thanks for all this! To be sure, I'm not hoping to retire should I find a buyer! Just curious to learn about it. This one has been sitting in a box in the basement for 40 years. I enjoyed building it then probably only ran it outside a half dozen times at most, including last weekend to see if it still worked! Mostly, I don't think I had the patience for recharging times!

Yes, that was the seller in Japan that I referenced earlier.

Thanks again!!!