Grasshopper II Black Edition Rear Springs

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rknize

Grasshopper II Black Edition Rear Springs

Post by rknize »

Hello all, long-time lurker here that got back into the hobby recently. Any GH2 Black Edition owners out there? Did you notice that the rear springs for the included CVAs are incredibly light? As in, lighter than the stock GH2 rear springs? So light that they barely rebound? I was running CVAs on my Hornet for a while and found that the springs in the CVA kits are far too firm for the rear. The fronts were dialed-in nicely (using the 20mm offset Ampro setup), but the rears were a mess and I went back to the stock shocks.

Now, I get that rear shocks on these chassis are next to hopeless due to the unsprung weight, bouncy tires, etc. However, I was very slightly impressed by how the back end of the GH2 Black Edition behaves after a jump and have been searching for a similar spring I could use on the Hornet. Any ideas? I tried one of those Tamiya DF-03/TT02 spring kits, but the soft set is not nearly that soft. I'm thinking of buying some piano wire and winding my own! Wouldn't be the first time...

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Re: Grasshopper II Black Edition Rear Springs

Post by Brendan2904 »

The original one was my first kit in the 80's. I think the only way to fix the rear suspension is to swap out completely to the Super G shocks which was not really that much of an upgrade to be honest. That's why I never did it.