If I had a 3D printer…

The place to be for printing in 3D.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: If I had a 3D printer…

Post by silvertriple »

So many things you can do with a 3D printer....
I won't post any picture here. I remember when I bought my first printer. Some of my friends or colleagues were telling me "but why?"
I had a vision, and it is quite simple: you can see a 3D printer is the future. First it is a meta tool : a tool that can create other tools (I have so many examples in this area, some that I don't even talk in my 3D printed thread) and custom fixations.
And then the replacement parts : as long as you know to model there is no limitation to what you can do, and even if a FDM printer can't do, other process maybe able to do...
At some point 3D printed parts will replace parts in the repair category as it will ease the logistics even for manufacturer. It is just question of time for this to happen.

Ultimately, 3D printer is the future for many hobby activities, and today, you can even find good printer for approximateively the cost of a new rc kit, the only thing you have to do is to jump in the train...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Ask and you shall receive. My brother dropped this “trash” off on Wednesday. Just wild.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

mAdMan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 pm Lastly, do you know how much muff you’ll pull by simply mounting Ronal Turbos on a Fiat 500?
Yes... less than would if you mounted a set of Ronal Teddy Bears. :wink:

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Dangeruss wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm
mAdMan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:33 pm Lastly, do you know how much muff you’ll pull by simply mounting Ronal Turbos on a Fiat 500?
Yes... less than would if you mounted a set of Ronal Teddy Bears. :wink:
You might be right though if you are looking for a “modern” lady. I’ve seen those before. I rememeber a really hot girl in high school with a pink celica that had yellow flower wheels with pink center caps 😂

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

If anyone was gonna buy a new laptop what would you get? My windows 7 Sony vaio machine is not going to run the printer sadly.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

That printer needs a computer to run?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm That printer needs a computer to run?
The slicer software is on computer not the printer , it takes a solid shape and Slices it into layers and sets a rout for the printer to follow to print each layer , this is then exported as a G code file to the printer
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Dadio wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 pm
Frankentruck wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm That printer needs a computer to run?
The slicer software is on computer not the printer , it takes a solid shape and Slices it into layers and sets a rout for the printer to follow to print each layer , this is then exported as a G code file to the printer
Yes, the slicer software is on a standalone computer.

I'm not familiar with the model of printer he has. His statement about needing a computer to run it sounds like a computer is doing more than just processing the stl file.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 pm

I'm not familiar with the model of printer he has. His statement about needing a computer to run it sounds like a computer is doing more than just processing the stl file.
The other answer is CAD software , if he's designing parts then you need a CAD package of some sort and it takes a fairly good computer to run that kind of software , slicers don't need a great computer but CAD programs do .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Dadio wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm

The other answer is CAD software , if he's designing parts then you need a CAD package of some sort and it takes a fairly good computer to run that kind of software , slicers don't need a great computer but CAD programs do .
This statement doesn't sound like it's referring to slicer or CAD software:

"My windows 7 Sony vaio machine is not going to run the printer sadly."

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 pm
Dadio wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 pm

This statement doesn't sound like it's referring to slicer or CAD software:

"My windows 7 Sony vaio machine is not going to run the printer sadly."
It's possible the printer is a dinosaur that relies on a computer but then it must be nearly 20 years old ?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

My Pulse was kinda like that, while you could slice it in Cura and use the SD slot, it was best used with MatterControl, and hooked up via USB. You could stop the print, delete an item, and keep printing sort of like modern slicers but this was 5 years ago
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

My Sony vaio runs windows 7 32 bit and mattercontrol is only available for 64 bit win 7 or higher.

My computer was purchased in 2009. It’s not surprising that I can’t use it for this printer. Though doesn’t make me any happier about being right over and over. How perfectly working hardware is designed to be obsolete by way of software. Over. And. Over. Every single day I’m reminded of this fact.

I purchased this one after visiting Best Buy and seeing they were well over 2x the price for lower specs.

https://a.co/d/iiIODj2

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Until my new laptop arrives I used my wife’s MacBook

First print is 0.4mm and 10% infill at 120% speed. 🤣 what I’m impatient and don’t want a toy boat