** 2023 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 8-10 **

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

** 2023 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 8-10 **

Post by scr8p »

R/C Excitement, Inc.
208 Bemis Road
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978) 342-3374

**NEW FOR 2023**

1. Flipped Schedule: This year, in an effort to get more racing in, we’re going to be flipping out program upside down. This means that Saturday will be 2nd, 4wd and Stadium Truck and Sunday will be Classic, 4wd Classic, Heavy Metal, and Wheelie.

2: Classic Update: In an effort to get back to the spirit of the Classic Class, this year we are going to rule out any “race inspired” or “sport style” racing buggies. All cars in Classic must be entry level plastic tub type cars. Please shoot us an email if you’re not sure your car fits or not. We’re happy to help! Let’s have fun this year!

CLASSES
**All classes are limited to cars produced 1995 and earlier. Contact us for other approvals**

Old School RC Daniel Rowland’s Memorial 2wd Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
27 turn ROAR legal stock and 17.5 brushless motors only (under current rules).
Radio gear “electronics” are open.
Tires/wheels are open
Li-Po batteries are allowed.
(Examples: RC10, RC10B2, JRX2, XX, Ultima, Triumph, ProX, TRX)

Racetech Motorsports 4wd Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1997-2004.
10.5 brushless motors only.
(Examples: XX4, XXX4, TC3″O”v2, MX4, MR4BC, BJ4, Cat 2000 SE, Lazer ZXS)

Sabula Tech 4wd Classic Buggy
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1996 or earlier.
13.5 brushless motors only.
(Examples: All Optima models, Lazer ZX/ZXR, YZ10, Avante, Cat XL/XLS, Pro Cat, Cat 2000 98)

RC10Talk Stadium Truck
All trucks are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Tires/wheels are open (including narrow front tires)
(Examples: RC10T, RC10T2, JRXT, XXT, Outlaw Ultima, Pro XRT, Eagle, SRT)

VintageRCCars.com Heavy Metal
All 1/10 Monster Trucks, 2wd or 4wd, 2ws or 4ws are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Classes are broken up into two subcategories that race together. HM1 is for larger tire trucks (Examples: Clod Buster, USA-1, etc) and HM2 is for racing monsters (Examples: Blackfoot, King Cab, etc.)

Hitec Classic
All buggies are limited to cars produced 1995 or earlier.
Limited to “non-pro” and entry level style cars. Must have plastic tub chassis.*
All 1/10 Buggies, 2wd or 4wd, 2ws or 4ws allowed
Handout Tamiya RS540 motors only
(Examples: Tamiya Hornet, Mauri Ninja, Royal Ripper)
*RULE EDIT – RC10 and JRX2 “True Vintage” cars are allowed in Classic but must meet the following criteria:
• NO TIRE TREATMENT ALLOWED.
• TRUE VINTAGE HARD COMPOUND TIRES ONLY.
• Must run no tire inserts and be covered with original RC10 Protech or JRX2 kit bodies.
• NO AFTERMARKET TRANSMISSIONS or other parts except turnbuckles allowed.
• RC10 must run in 1984/Classic version: short arm suspension, original jellybean sized wheels and hard compound vintage tires (Proline reissue tires are allowed).
• JRX2 must run in original version: 5 link suspension and hard compound vintage tires.

Tamiya Wheelie
Limited to Tamiya 1/12 2WD “Wheelie” vehicles
Rereleases and New Models allowed
No modifications allowed, vehicles must remain box stock except speed control, battery, servo and receiver. Truck must remain box stock.
Silver can Mabuchi/Johnson 540 motors.
Tires/wheels must remain stock, NO INSERTS or saucing.
(Examples: CW01 and WR02 2wd: Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, Wild Willy, Mitsubishi Pajero, Honda City Turbo, Suzuki Jimny)

scr8p
Administrator

Re: ** 2023 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 8-10 **

Post by scr8p »

Want to point out that the class schedule has been flipped. 2wd, 4wd and Stadium Truck are now on Saturday. Everything else on Sunday.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: ** 2023 Vintage Off-Road Nationals - R/C Excitement Inc., Fitchburg, MA - Sept. 8-10 **

Post by stickboy007 »

There are some updates to the Classic rules as well. Erich should post an update on that here, if he can be bothered to ;)

Also, FYI, RCE's surfaces has been "sealed" from what I understand. Apparently, clay slicks are the tire of choice now. Might want to still bring any tires you ran last year as they may still work well enough...

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

I'll likely be missing Saturday so no joy for my old Losis but hopefully be over my jetlag enough for some fun with Classic and Wheelie on Sunday
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I saw a flyer somewhere on Facebook (can't find it now), that said we are going to run on outdoor track this year?!?
- What does that mean for tires?
- Knobbies?? :twisted:
-dldiaz

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

dldiaz wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:30 pm - Knobbies?? :twisted:
Screenshot_20230804-204451.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

dldiaz wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:30 pm I saw a flyer somewhere on Facebook (can't find it now), that said we are going to run on outdoor track this year?!?
- What does that mean for tires?
- Knobbies?? :twisted:
Yeah, I don't know what went on there. If RCE just took it upon themselves to decide that without discussing it with Erich or what. But the race will be held on the indoor track like normal.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I updated the O.P. with what Reinaldo and myself mentioned about changes at this years race. I'll paste them here, too:

1. Flipped Schedule: This year, in an effort to get more racing in, we’re going to be flipping out program upside down. This means that Saturday will be 2nd, 4wd and Stadium Truck and Sunday will be Classic, 4wd Classic, Heavy Metal, and Wheelie.

2: Classic Update: In an effort to get back to the spirit of the Classic Class, this year we are going to rule out any “race inspired” or “sport style” racing buggies. All cars in Classic must be entry level plastic tub type cars. Please shoot us an email if you’re not sure your car fits or not. We’re happy to help! Let’s have fun this year!

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

What are the tires of choice for 2wd buggy on this track?
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RogueIV wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:16 pm What are the tires of choice for 2wd buggy on this track?
Slicks. Jconcepts Smoothie 2's (silver), Proline Bald Eagle (MC), or whatever you have in a clay or soft compound you can grind down.

Chemical

Post by Chemical »

I always slide around too much with slicks. even with the glue/sealer at RCE. {Go ahead say it: "That's diver inexperience" and not the fault of the tire or track.} I feel that I need at least a little bit of tread like JConcepts Octagons. last year (without the glue/sealer I ran them in the first heat, and then switched back to Proline Electrons.

Chemical

Post by Chemical »

I am seriously worried about the track at RCE. I think it is a brutal obstacle course. It's brutal with my RC10 B6.1. But at least the B6.1 is a lot less likely to break. Last year's triple sucked the fun out of the VONATS for me. Standing on the sidelines with a broken car was not fun. I hope to get some practice time in. But I'm afraid to wreck my cars before the event. I don't want to be too negative. As always, I had some great conversations with great people and won some cool prizes. :-)

RC10superfan
Approved Member

Post by RC10superfan »

I am unfortunately not able to attend. I am hoping that anyone attending will take great pictures of the vintage cars and post them. Thank you in advance!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Chemical wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:20 pm I am seriously worried about the track at RCE. I think it is a brutal obstacle course. It's brutal with my RC10 B6.1. But at least the B6.1 is a lot less likely to break. Last year's triple sucked the fun out of the VONATS for me. Standing on the sidelines with a broken car was not fun. I hope to get some practice time in. But I'm afraid to wreck my cars before the event. I don't want to be too negative. As always, I had some great conversations with great people and won some cool prizes. :-)

Honestly, it's not all that different from when the event was held at Wolcott, except that track had very inconsistent traction. Amazing one day, then driving on ice the next day, with the same setup/tires/etc., and the layouts were not modified for vintage running. At least the grip level at RCE is fairly consistent and you just have to find a tire that works for you. I will be bringing clay slicks, M4 primes, M4 transistors, and Black Octagons for my variety of chassis. Hopefully, there will be enough time on Friday to determine whether I wasted a bunch of money on clay slick tires.

In any case, the layouts for the past few events at RCE tend to assume that you have some experience with racing and understand how to navigate complex layouts regardless of whether the car is vintage or modern. If multiple people have this problem, then you will benefit from simply driving at 8/10ths and making fewer errors.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

I will be watching on Liverc