Hello From Michigan

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tang
Approved Member

Hello From Michigan

Post by Tang »

Hey everyone! I've been into RC cars my whole life. I used to hit up the coolest hobby shops with my dad in the 80's, and have fond memories of watching indoor carpet oval racing. I thought those cars were the coolest things in the world back then. We didn't have a lot, and buying one of those was only a dream. Fast forward a bit, and on Christmas 1994 I got one of the best presents I've ever gotten, an RC10 World's Car! I built it that day, sitting at my dining room table for hours. I didn't eat or use the bathroom. If I got up, it was to get a tool I didn't know I'd need. Over the next few months I was able to snag a Novak Rooster, a Trinity Green Machine 2, and a Futaba Magnum Jr, and I was on my way! Looking back, I wonder what my parents sacrificed to let me have that enjoyment, because wow they were expensive back then! It's funny to see that car prices really haven't increased much over the last 30 years! I was in southern Maryland at the time, and used to race for fun at the outdoor dirt track Doug's Hobby Shop had in Waldorf, MD. I miss that shop, that car, and honestly the 90's, too!

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I've decided to pickup a re re World's Car on eBay ($$$) and work on building a retro setup that will transport me back in time. I've been lurking here for a while now, and have picked up quite a bit of information, so thank everybody for that! It doesn't sound like I will have much of a problem doing a relatively period correct version of what I had back then, maybe utilizing a few things that I wish I could have had but didn't. It will be an old school setup, using the same Futaba transmitter, a Novak speed control of some kind, and hopefully a combination of stock and modified brushed motors that I can enjoy. Perhaps someday I will throw a brushless setup in it, but I don't plan on racing, and this is more of a nostalgic thing for me right now. I'll be sure to document my journey here for those who may be interested in seeing it. In the meantime, if anybody has any parts for sale that meet my description, feel free to message me. I don't have access to the buy and sell section yet, so I can't see what you have there. I'm picking up most of what I need so far on eBay.