Ebay junk

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Ebay junk

Post by Lowgear »

I recently bought a used OS engine off eBay that I wanted the rare parts from, namely the head. There didn't seem to be a mark on it. That was until I got it, and the head has a mark in the one place none of the pictures showed. It has nothing to do with the seller as it just happened that way. It has everything to do with my poor luck. :? It does have a unique aluminum muffler, and machined carburetor I've never seen before.

Anyway, I rarely buy well used stuff off eBay as I'm never happy with the result. This time was no exception. :roll: :lol:

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Not everyone is like that. I've been selling on Ebay for 13+ years and 3000 transactions. I take highly detailed photos of flaws and even make sure to describe them and use something like a pointer in the picture. I've been burned just as many times on FB marketplace in all the groups we all probably belong to. Just seems there are more people these days who think it's normal to deceive and lie (societal issue). Or the ones who bid it up and don't pay. Block them and move on but frustrating how many more there are each year. I've had more of those in the 2 years than the prior 12.

At this point if the pics are not super clear I don't bother.

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

Post by Toyotachris1982 »

If its mentioned in the ad than fine. But 99 out of 100 times this is not the case. You have a good point if you just want a part to use for 3d printing or reproduction. As for the prior comment of a "shelf queen" being a rc that glued together parts are acceptable because it won't be used is just simply ridiculous and "shelf queen" (just like a restored car) is simply that a "restored rc" not some taped and glued together "janky mobile".

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Toyotachris1982 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:43 am If its mentioned in the ad than fine. But 99 out of 100 times this is not the case. You have a good point if you just want a part to use for 3d printing or reproduction. As for the prior comment of a "shelf queen" being a rc that glued together parts are acceptable because it won't be used is just simply ridiculous and "shelf queen" (just like a restored car) is simply that a "restored rc" not some taped and glued together "janky mobile".
It's not my interpretation of shelf queen either but I've seen more than a few YouTubers that describe how this or that part had to be carefully glued together or ball diffs that are shot but "it's OK as it's a shelf queen" , it would make my brain itch knowing that one of my cars had a major fault even if it's going to spend the rest of it's days just looking pretty.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Toyotachris1982
Approved Member

Post by Toyotachris1982 »

Dadio wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:11 am
Toyotachris1982 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:43 am If its mentioned in the ad than fine. But 99 out of 100 times this is not the case. You have a good point if you just want a part to use for 3d printing or reproduction. As for the prior comment of a "shelf queen" being a rc that glued together parts are acceptable because it won't be used is just simply ridiculous and "shelf queen" (just like a restored car) is simply that a "restored rc" not some taped and glued together "janky mobile".
It's not my interpretation of shelf queen either but I've seen more than a few YouTubers that describe how this or that part had to be carefully glued together or ball diffs that are shot but "it's OK as it's a shelf queen", it would make my brain itch knowing that one of my cars had a major fault even if it's going to spend the rest of it's days just looking pretty.
I agree.