For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10th
Approved Member

Anyone have an SR10?

Post by RC10th »

Buller, Buller, Anyone ?

SR10.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RC10th
Approved Member

Re: Anyone have an SR10?

Post by RC10th »

Oh well, it looks like I do now :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The car came the other day and it's actually pretty cool. It is basically a buggy with an oversized car body, sort of like a modern day version of the DS.

I scored a good deal on this one without electronics, it's a shame that the car isn't offered as a kit.

Should be fun.....

20220421_212531.jpg

20220421_212611.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Moving right along I got out the electronics for this. Unfortunately I didn't have another receiver so I had to order a new SR3100 clone, so that will have to wait. I already installed a Savox something servo that I had laying around, seems somewhat decent.

I also had a blue Hobbywing V2.1 8.5T combo sitting doing nothing so it's the perfect system for the SR10.

Dialing in a bit of extra fun on top as well..... (50% more fun to be exact)

20220423_205052.jpg

And because we can :lol: Broken parts here we come.....

20220423_205134.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Took it out for a maiden run today and while fun the car wasn't balanced very well for my liking. Sure it's probably fine for Johnny who is trying to learn to drive or a much slower car, but not for a quick mod car. The car had a lot of body roll which was actually quite fun at slower speeds which just exceeded traction.

I found the car too twitchy and generated too much front grip at high speeds, most likely due to the fact that there wasn't much oil in the front shocks to begin with, and you could feel that the front damping was lighter than the rear. Also, the fact that the gear diff was only full of black grease didn't help in the handling department.

Sooooooo....... The car quickly became a kit :mrgreen: being a RTR it's obviously thrown together in a factory so little attention is paid to a "quality" assembly. The steering blocks were a little tight for my liking and having to change the diff oil is what sparked off a full rebuild.

20220425_233048.jpg

I'm not a fan of gear diffs so here we go again trying to figure out what's best. Mind you this isn't necessarily a dirt car but more of a parking lot bomber. I was surprised to see a nice lightweight aluminium top shafts included with the car, will be interesting to see the longevity of it.

I thought the mismatched diff bearings were strange :roll: would be interesting to see if others were the same.

20220425_204011.jpg

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Here the front end is pretty much done and the steering is now silky smooth, probably the smoothest I've put together.

The build is pretty basic and it feels just like an updated B4, which I assume these are based on the B5 series. The instructions aren't as good as previous editions I don't think, and the metric thing takes some getting used to :?

Regardless it should run much better when done.

20220501_225001.jpg
20220501_225031.jpg

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Any update?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Sort of, the car is together just waiting on me to rebuild the shocks. I've finally bought some 'proper' up travel limiters for it as well so I should do some updates.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RC10th wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:23 am Sort of, the car is together just waiting on me to rebuild the shocks. I've finally bought some 'proper' up travel limiters for it as well so I should do some updates.
I'm hoping it goes well. The sr10/DR10 cars look like nice entry levels into modern stuff at a decent price.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

What ever came of this? Did you run it? Like it? Mod it?

There is a large class for these at my local carpet oval. Judging by the reaction of the participants, the fun level is well and truly above the legal limit. This is the next logical class for me to enter when I get booted from Novice class (Novice is open rules, meaning I can run my vintage buggies).

The problem for me is that I want to tinker and use my own stuff. The class is "box stock". Nothing can be touched. Mercifully, they do allow for a choice of decals. :lol: You can't even use your normal transmitter.

The cars do seem to go pretty well and are very durable. They have loads of body roll on the high grip surface and wander about due to insufficient damping, but without class restrictions, that could be easily solved. My thought is to identify folks who may be tiring of the box stock aspect and get a modified class going.