New project

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Benders
Approved Member

Re: New project

Post by Benders »

I have a few questions…first is what’s the cage made of? Looks to be either 1/16” or 1/8” round bar…secondly are you brazing it? I originally thought tig but the color has me thinking braze…lastly would you be interested in doing another one of those motors?

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

This one and all the 1/10 chassis I do are made from 3/16" steel brake line. I just strip the fireproof coating off and then braze it. I braze with a Ox/mapp two bottle setup. Then I use a Harris safety-slv 45 brazing rod. It's not cheap, cost about $42 for a pack of five 18" rods, and I go through 3 to 4 packs in a chassis build, but it's extremely strong. The tubes would bend/break before the joint ever fails.
I have to replace the wire harness on my 3d printer, actually already have the harness so just have to find the time, but once I do I can print you up a motor if you have a project you'd like one for. I'm pretty sure I saved the .stl file for this one in one on my folders if I'm not mistaken.

Benders
Approved Member

Post by Benders »

Steve71 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:24 pm This one and all the 1/10 chassis I do are made from 3/16" steel brake line. I just strip the fireproof coating off and then braze it. I braze with a Ox/mapp two bottle setup. Then I use a Harris safety-slv 45 brazing rod. It's not cheap, cost about $42 for a pack of five 18" rods, and I go through 3 to 4 packs in a chassis build, but it's extremely strong. The tubes would bend/break before the joint ever fails.
I have to replace the wire harness on my 3d printer, actually already have the harness so just have to find the time, but once I do I can print you up a motor if you have a project you'd like one for. I'm pretty sure I saved the .stl file for this one in one on my folders if I'm not mistaken.
Yes I’d love to put one of them in my clod…I recently bought 2 bodies which I have thoughts of making a crew cab out of and I’d love to flip the nose on it and have a actual motor sitting there…just pm me when your ready and how much cash I need to send your way…

As for the chassis I’d of never figured brake line…but you just opened the door to a whole new realm of financial ruin for me…

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Only had 1 hour free tonight after working all day, But managed to get the trans brackets in and done so that's another thing off the list at least.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Been about 5-6 weeks since I was able to do anything on the latest tube chassis truck build, just been real busy with work stuff. Finally had to take a break from work stuff and relax so decided to get back on this project. Was able to finish up all the fabrication and just got it all cleaned/sanded down and ready for color now.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I built a couple of crawler tubers back in the day, and quickly learned that it requires much more patience than I have available. My hats off to you on your build; it is awesome!

That Stay-Silv you are using is like magic in a bottle! I was building a still many years ago, and was having the hardest time getting brass and stainless to play nice together, and with just a little Stay-Silv added to the equation, it was like butter! It went from impossible to just like plumbing copper. Fantastic stuff!
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Yeah Stay-Silv along with Safty-Silv45 rod works wonders when it comes to brazing. Only downside to using that combo of rod & flux is the cost of the rod. It's $44 for five pieces of 16" rod, and it takes about 12 rods to do a chassis so the cost is a bit steep, but once done it is strong as can be.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Fabrication & paint/clear all done. Also took apart the Ignitor wheels and painted them Hammered silver as well as painted the beadlocks. Soooo many screws in those wheels lol. Now the fun part of starting to put it all together can start. Gonna look great with the Polished freestyle axles under it. That may have to wait a few days though, too much work going on for the next few days at least till I have time to work on this again.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

And 312 screws later :lol: I'm actually not kidding either. I love the Ignitor wheels, but with the wheel itself being a 2 piece design, plus beadlocks on both sides. There's 78 screws per wheel that you have to remove to take them completely apart for painting them.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Updated pics from today. Just got the Castle Mamba-x & 5700kv in the mail. This truck should fly! :mrgreen:

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Latest tube chassis truck project is finally done. Worked in airbrushing the body the other night. All set and ready to go, hope to have some time next week to get it out and run it for the first time.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Really not up to your usual standard, throw it away and start again. :lol: Seriously though it's another simply stunning build. Love all the scale detail you add. Really completes the package. Very well done! :!:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Haven't really had a ton of free time to do RC lately, but got this latest build out recently and tested it out on the backflip ramp. She passed :mrgreen:

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Just a beautiful day outside today so had to get this one out for a lil' run on a dirt ramp I have started making.

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

That build should be on the cover of a magazine! You have major skills and patience on that stunning cage! Wow! :shock: