RC10 Worlds restoration

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldschoolrc10

RC10 Worlds restoration

Post by oldschoolrc10 »

I got hold of an original RC10 Worlds (EUR 50, quite the bargain). I'm still torn between making it a shelf queen and building a runner for occasional low-traction track outings with a 13.5 T. Perhaps you could answer some of the questions below.

1. Parts have become scarce and somewhat expensive in Europe. While I don't recall breaking much back in the day, I wonder how brittle the original plastic parts have become over 25 years. I have plenty of ball cups, but arms etc. may be an issue. What about shock towers?

2. I bought an NIB rebuild kit for the original shocks. Should I buy a separate set of fresh o-rings or do these things age well enough?

3. I want to stick with the original transmission and MIP universals for now. Do you have any gearing advice for a 13.5 T motor and an 81 spur?

4. The servo mounts were not included. Can I simply mount the servo using double-sided tape? Can you recommend an alternative?

5. Should I use a servo saver to avoid breaking any of the vintage steering parts?

6. The felt gasket for the transmission is falling apart. I read in other posts that the gasket is considered optional (not included in the ReRe)?

Thanks for your help.
IMG_20210626_175012019.jpg
IMG_20210626_174901030.jpg

juicedcoupe

Re: RC10 Worlds restauration

Post by juicedcoupe »

1. Soak all the nylon parts in water for a couple days to rehydrate them. The graphite parts should be fine.

2. You'll have to make the call on the o rings. They could be a few years old (re-re) or 30+ years old. If they feel okay, I'd probably run them.

3. Here is the gearing chart for the re-re Worlds car.
Screenshot_20210627-072642_Drive.jpg
4. Original servo mounts are still available, as well as 3D printed ones. Alternatively, lots of other mounts fit as as well. RPM and Traxxas mounts are easy to find and fit good.

5. Some will say to use a metal gear servo and be done with it. I prefer a servo saver.

6. There are replacement foam gaskets available on ebay. Using it is optional, but having one will help keep dirt and trash out.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.