Shock Questions Old (Imperial )Vs New (Metric).

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Shock Questions Old (Imperial )Vs New (Metric).

Post by JosephS »

Hey all this is related to my attempt to build the 2016 rc10T stock racer
https://www.reedyrace.com/ae/spotlight/pages/RC10T_Van/index.html

My goal is to build a truck that is runs and handles like the original build. However shocks and springs are expensive so I want to understand the differences.

There is so much I don't know about shocks. I am not quite up to date on shocks and what all the numbers mean besides length.

I am reading through the suspension list on the original build and see this
Team Associated threaded shock body #7477 was used for more accurate ride height adjustments, as well as the #6417 gold shock shafts for smooth suspension action. Traxxas® #2362 Ultra Shocks Rebuild Kit O-Rings were used in the shocks. (These O-Rings are similar to current-day X-Rings.) Also GHEA Racing Products #2 Machined Shock Pistons were used with a 32.5wt shock oil and standard blue front truck springs. The ride height of the truck was set at 29mm and no limiters were used in the front shocks
So the 7477 are the 1.02" shocks. I believe that these are the 12mm big bore shocks. Are the associated shocks "FT 12x27.5 mm " shock bodies going to be the same as the 7477 1.02" shocks? Are the new metric shocks the same as the old imperial ones if the length matches? New shocks and shafts are ever so slightly less expensive then old ones.

How different would this handle from the older team shocks? I have the original shocks and if the main advantage is the ability to use the threaded collar to set ride height I'll try and use what I have.

As a 4th random I have a set of 13mm shocks from my sc10 4x4. I was initially going to use these for this build because I have them. Are these going to be a while different response then the v2 shocks above? Would the same oil, piston and spring be about the same?

What does the #2 mean in the shock piston? The newer shocks are spec'd differently,seeming in # of holes and mm. What is the modern piston destination to that would handle the same. Would a 10mm(v1) #2 be the same as a 12mm #2? I can't seem to find "GHEA Racing Products #2 Machined Shock Pistons" what is the right substitute ?

Do the color springs stay the same across associated? So are blue truck springs the same for all sizes and years? The rear was running silver springs. What are the modern designations for the same spring strength?

Do the threaded shock bodies wear out as fast as the V1 shocks did? My teflon coated v1 shocks look the same now as they did NIP, but the non-coated ones all have significant wear. Do the new shocks have the same problem? I see that Kashima coat replaced teflon and given my experience on V1 shocks I'd consider the extra cost.

I am currently leaning towards using the 10t6.1 FT shock kit but that just about doubles my build cost. It'd be be around the same to get vintage shocks and set them up as listed.

juicedcoupe

Re: Shock Questions Old (Imperial )Vs New (Metric).

Post by juicedcoupe »

Most short course truck shocks will be approximately the same length as 10T shocks.

Smaller bore shocks are typically more responsive than big bores, but big bores seem to be better suited to rougher terrain and heavier vehicles.

Whichever type that you choose, I'd use big bore springs. Even with Smaller bore shocks, they seem to be smoother throughout their range.

As for piston numbers, an AE #1 is the lightest resistance and larger numbers increase resistance.

But that doesn't necessarily translate to the same dampening when comparing different bore shocks.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.