And more ebay junk

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

juicedcoupe

And more ebay junk

Post by juicedcoupe »

I might have a problem. I seen this scrap pile on the bay for $100 or best offer. I made an offer and they took it. The transmission and shocks are probably worth more than I paid for all of it.

What I got:

Most of it looks like typically late 10T parts. C stamp, T2 arms, Worlds bulkhead, and black shock towers.

The shocks are dark blue, from some sport model. Considering their near perfect condition, I assume a T4 or some other newer truck.

A six gear transmission, gold motor plate, and buggy carriers/axles (complete with springs and bushings). Despite having bushings, the transmission is buttery smooth. Looking at the condition of the transmission and motor plate, I suspect that they are from a re-re.

Plan:

Fix it, of course.

I have a nice short arm car that was converted to a Stealth transmission. I'll swap out the transmissions.

I like the blue shocks. They might not stay on this particular truck, but they'll be on one of these three rebuilds.

I have a set of correct rear carriers. I'll decide on the axles later, I have several to choose from. And I've got a set of dogbones that only have a couple packs on them.

I'll likely do a hex conversion. It's easier and cheaper than finding nice 10T wheels.
Attachments
20210305_114915.jpg
20210305_115057.jpg
20210305_115025.jpg
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: And more ebay junk

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:18 pm I might have a problem. I seen this scrap pile on the bay for $100 or best offer. I made an offer and they took it. The transmission and shocks are probably worth more than I paid for all of it.

What I got:

Most of it looks like typically late 10T parts. C stamp, T2 arms, Worlds bulkhead, and black shock towers.

The shocks are dark blue, from some sport model. Considering their near perfect condition, I assume a T4 or some other newer truck.

A six gear transmission, gold motor plate, and buggy carriers/axles (complete with springs and bushings). Despite having bushings, the transmission is buttery smooth. Looking at the condition of the transmission and motor plate, I suspect that they are from a re-re.

Plan:

Fix it, of course.

I have a nice short arm car that was converted to a Stealth transmission. I'll swap out the transmissions.

I like the blue shocks. They might not stay on this particular truck, but they'll be on one of these three rebuilds.

I have a set of correct rear carriers. I'll decide on the axles later, I have several to choose from. And I've got a set of dogbones that only have a couple packs on them.

I'll likely do a hex conversion. It's easier and cheaper than finding nice 10T wheels.

What a great find!

I'm not an expert on this truck by any means but they do seem to sell cheap for some reason. I got one sorta by accident a few years ago. I bid on and won a Graphite project car and the guy tossed a 10t in the box as a bonus. Missing a transmission and body but otherwise complete. Very unexpected.
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Got it all stripped apart, cleaned, and back together.

- The chassis had actually been painted at some point. Luckily, they didn't know what they were doing, so the paint came off pretty easily with Citristrip. Several other parts also had orange over-spray on them, which also came off fairly easily.

- When I got it, the shocks were actually on backwards. All four of them had rear springs on as well. I haven't rebuilt the shocks yet, just wiped them down and put new front springs on (I actually had a set of blue ones).

- Swapped out the transmission and motor plate from other cars, along with a new brace. Put the correct carriers on with like new axles and dogbones.

- The battery cup that came with it cleaned up pretty good, so I'm going to use it on something else. I put a Pure-Tech strap and brackets on instead.

- I threw it back together with the turnbuckles that came with it. They are kinda homely looking, so I'll likely replace them and the ball cups. I also dropped in a servo to hold everything.
Attachments
20210306_002119.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Got this one sitting on its own weight as well.

Jeff got me a couple sets of Factory Works rear 10T wheels to go with some factory fronts that I had. I need to whiten the fronts, as the FW rears are much lighter colored. The front tires are some takeoffs from one of these trucks. The rears are actually new Losi step pins that I've had laying around for years (they still have molding flash on them).

Got a motor and RPM cover on as well. The motor is a Reedy Esprit ES modified. I don't know which exact model it is but its one of the non-adjustable versions.

I still need a body for this one, probably going to get the extended rear mounts as well.
Attachments
20210318_141029.jpg
20210318_141221.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Got this one all wired up and painted.

I had a HPI radio set sitting around, so I used it. And I mounted a Tekin Rebel esc on a Sabula Tech shelf.
Screenshot_20210816-201843_Gallery.jpg
The body is a JConcepts F-150, specifically for the 10T. It is painted in Tamiya red with Duratrax silver and gunmetal trim.
Screenshot_20210816-201918_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210816-201901_Gallery.jpg
Even keeping it simple, I think it turned out decent.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

This ebay junk purchase turned out to be a real nice buy after you fixed her up.

it was a good score with a happy ending! :D

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I agree.
The truck looks absolutely stunning!
Doug