Le Mans motor restorations

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Le Mans motor restorations

Post by Coelacanth »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 pm I suspect that it has more to do with the testing procedure. There are multiple variables that could be changed to skew the results in favor of any motor. If there was "one top performing" motor, there simply wouldn't be a need for most of the others.
That may be true, but the bottom line is, all else being equal, a motor that is built to drain the same battery pack twice as fast simply cannot be slower than a motor that drains the same pack at half the time. Do you honestly think Kyosho was out to lunch? :wink: Something is amiss here and there's no blame...without a forensic disassembly of all motors to see what's actually going on with the internals, we don't know for sure what's the story unless we are dealing with NIB motors. I simply refuse to believe a 480 Gold is faster than a 240S or 240SB. The 240SB was the flagship motor of that era and something is wrong with the build if it's not putting out as much as a 480 Gold.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

The SB I have now isn't nib but like i mentioned earlier i had a nib one many yrs ago...it ran the same. yes overall the 360gold is the best. i did mention the timing was turned to 6 degrees. The brushes and springs are all stock full standup brushes. the 480 spa and gold all have quad armatures in them when i restored them, i seriously doubt the previous owner put a "special" quad wind arm in there....the motors check out to stock specs running on my machine. I agree about the numbers but they ran better in the car....end of story. We just won another 480spa on Ebay yesterday for an Optima Pro build we got coming. I will test it the same....if it runs as good as the one we have now it will be official.....and I do think the 360gold is there best overall motor they ever made
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Coelacanth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:21 am but the bottom line is, all else being equal, a motor that is built to drain the same battery pack twice as fast simply cannot be slower than a motor that drains the same pack at half the time.
Unfortunately, things aren't that simple.

I once pulled a 12X2 Peak from my pan car and put in my son's Stampede. It went from being a rocket in the pan car to a total dog in the heavy truck.

IMHO, there is no best ever made. There is just what is best for the application.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:44 am
Coelacanth wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:21 am but the bottom line is, all else being equal, a motor that is built to drain the same battery pack twice as fast simply cannot be slower than a motor that drains the same pack at half the time.
Unfortunately, things aren't that simple.

I once pulled a 12X2 Peak from my pan car and put in my son's Stampede. It went from being a rocket in the pan car to a total dog in the heavy truck.

IMHO, there is no best ever made. There is just what is best for the application.
I concur with juicedcoupe....the 480's haul booty in the heavy Salute. The testing is the testing.... but we are putting in a brand new esc and retesting it all... but for now, if someone right now offered me a 480gold or a 240sb i would take the 480gold for what we are doing....before the test i would have picked the 240sb all day long

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Scored a "New" 360pt on Ebay today (wasn't cheap)☹...lucky to snipe it at 2 secs left but glad to get it to replace the bad one... If it really comes in new I probably won't run it but if it has been ran, by signs on the commutator, I will run it in the Salute and see how it compares..."holy grail"

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Picked up 240S yesterday during halftime.
-Jerry-

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

coxbros1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm Scored a "New" 360pt on Ebay today (wasn't cheap)☹...lucky to snipe it at 2 secs left but glad to get it to replace the bad one... If it really comes in new I probably won't run it but if it has been ran, by signs on the commutator, I will run it in the Salute and see how it compares..."holy grail"
Wow, congrats. I believe that's one of the hardest to find. I wonder why? Were the production numbers much lower on the PT than the other 360's--or Le Mans motors in general?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

coxbros1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm Scored a "New" 360pt on Ebay today (wasn't cheap)☹...lucky to snipe it at 2 secs left but glad to get it to replace the bad one... If it really comes in new I probably won't run it but if it has been ran, by signs on the commutator, I will run it in the Salute and see how it compares..."holy grail"
Not sure if that was one of them, I remember seeing at least a few "new" Le Mans brushed motors on the ebay here recently. All too much than what I'm willing to spend. $150-200+, nah... I'm not that hardcore yet :lol:
-Jerry-

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

there was some pricey ones on there ...that 360pt wasnt that high tho

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

There's NIB 240ST for $219, NIB 240SB at $270 and like-new SPA 240WS at $150. Too rich for my blood.
-Jerry-

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Scored A Turbo Optima on Ebay...when it came in it was cherry with a 240s! gonna to do a rebuild....I know its not a 480gold but still

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Just noticed an excellent condition 480 Gold with box on ebay listed at $125 in case there's any interest.
-Jerry-

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

How could there not be after the testing! wish i had the coin...blew my money on 360pt :lol:

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I'm having an inner battle due to just blowing almost a hundo on the 240S. But I can always re-sell it right..? B-day present to myself..? Just trying to come up with reasoning to bs myself into buying it... :lol:
-Jerry-

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:47 am Just trying to come up with reasoning to bs myself into buying it... :lol:
Don't go down that path! It leads to other rational thinking.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.