Bantam Midget

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Bantam Midget

Post by GoMachV »

The Bantam Midget was the servo that Novak used as a base for their own. Here is one in kit form
Attachments
DB9BE5FE-BA90-40EB-9F5F-C724633508BD.jpeg
2D782278-8AE8-4DCB-A7FE-135246E8CC48.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

V12
Approved Member

Re: Bantam Midget

Post by V12 »

Interesting photos, especially for the internals. :D

But from what I found Ace was not the source for that servo. I think the Bantam Midget was made by another company, probably Kraft.
Have to see if I have paperwork or information left somewhere, brain sometimes fades ...
But Ace sold the Bantam and other servos as kits.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

the original Bantams were developed by Dick Rehling and Bob Novak. It’s common to see them with the D&R label. This was early 70’s, not sure what year the Bantam Midget arrived. Ace was a catch all for a lot of different companies that went out or sold out.
Attachments
F4371395-47F2-4C24-A0F8-3E35B1FF50ED.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:48 am the original Bantams were developed by Dick Rehling and Bob Novak. It’s common to see them with the D&R label. This was early 70’s, not sure what year the Bantam Midget arrived. Ace was a catch all for a lot of different companies that went out or sold out.
That article is a cool read. I just found it last month after spotting an LDR-2 servo on ebay and doing some searches on it. It's worth a read http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits/Exhibit37/index.html

I don't know if the LDR servos were Bantams exactly...the one's I've seen were labeled as RS Systems...but once you know the connection between RS Systems and Bob Novak it's clear to see there's a heritage.
Attachments
rssysldr2.jpg
rssysldr2.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
rssysldr2.jpg
rssysldr2.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

I knew about Bob Novak had been a pylon racer and the RS company. But he had been involved with several companies what makes it difficult to follow.

Regarding the LDR servos I was not aware, at least not for the name. But I knew Bob was involved with the beginning of fast servos for pylon racing.
If the early Bantam servo has anything to do with the LDR I also don´t know.

But it´s the Bantam Midget servo we are talking about and I found somewhere at a magazine the comment this servo was introduced in 1978 at a hobby show.
And I think it was the same brown color known for Kraft servos.

If you have a look to the electronics of the Bantam Midget servo, you will find the use of a certain integrated circuit by Signetics. This IC was introduced around 1978 or late 1977 so early Bantam servo can´t use it, if it was early 1970's.
I know that IC very well, because I started to fiddle around in 1978 making my own electronic speed controls. And yes that servo amplifier was the best ever made so there was a reason to use it.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Phin, thanks for that picture. This and the 1974 pic seen at rc hall of fame website shows the RS servo looks close to the Bantam Midget but not the same. The RS looks larger, at least it´s more height. Look at the servo tabs for reference. So the RS servo might be a forefather of the Bantam.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

V12 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:34 pm Phin, thanks for that picture. This and the 1974 pic seen at rc hall of fame website shows the RS servo looks close to the Bantam Midget but not the same. The RS looks larger, at least it´s more height. Look at the servo tabs for reference. So the RS servo might be a forefather of the Bantam.
The LDR servo also doesn't have the 4 screws holding the case halves together like the Bantam servos. There's specs for a few of the LDR servo's in some of the old magazine pics in that site's article. The LDR-2 is 1.5" x .75" x 1.48" (38mm x 19mm x 37mm). The brochure from TechServ, after they bought out RS systems, shows most of the specs of the servos too (models renamed from LDR to RS). http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits/Exhibit37/files/BIGrs-one-49.jpg.jpg

Here's another pic from an eBay auction that sold back in April that shows some more early RS Systems electronics. Even the battery packs and receivers looked very similar to the early electronics sold under the Novak brand.
rssyselecs.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Regarding the very early Novak receiver. Alan did post a photo showing the Novak which was around twice the length of the newer NER-2S. Also the Kraft receiver which was looking exactly the same, just different color. But different to receiver at your photo.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

The Novak mailing address was 2709-C Orange Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92702. I wonder if being on Orange Avenue influenced Bob to make orange products.
PXL_20230731_194736962.jpg
PXL_20230731_194729885~2.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"