1993 IFMAR Worlds: Masami's tire mods?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

1993 IFMAR Worlds: Masami's tire mods?

Post by XLR8 »

I’ve sent a link to this video to a friend and he pointed out that, beginning at 2:11, Masami appears to be gluing tire halves together. They appear to be both halves of the same tire that’s been cut along the parting line - I've never seen this done before. By chance, does anyone know the story here?

Doug

scr8p
Administrator

Re: 1993 IFMAR Worlds: Masami's tire mods?

Post by scr8p »

All of times you see it done where there is a rear tire that is not made for the front. So a strip is cut from the center to fit on a.... Let's say 4wd front wheel.

Could even be making a dual compound tire.... Maybe. I used to run dual compound foam tires for dirt oval and pancar.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

What a humble kid Brian seemed like, man no cell phones or fast computers tablets and such look at the people....................................................
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

scr8p wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm All of times you see it done where there is a rear tire that is not made for the front. So a strip is cut from the center to fit on a.... Let's say 4wd front wheel.

Could even be making a dual compound tire.... Maybe. I used to run dual compound foam tires for dirt oval and pancar.
Well, that's interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
In this video, it appears that Masami is gluing together a wide tire so maybe he's making a dual compound tire.
I'm guessing that the soft compound half goes on the outside to improve grip in the corners?
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

KidAgain wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am What a humble kid Brian seemed like, man no cell phones or fast computers tablets and such look at the people....................................................
I agree. Now that he's passed, it's kinda sad to see him in these old videos.
RIP Brian, your fans will miss you.
Doug

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nothing special about cutting and glueing tires for the Worlds. This was done at a lot of races especially by factory drivers. Usually for converting rear tires to front tires. But there was not only about making narrower tires, I also have seen cutting tires for making smaller diameter. Don´t think of dual compound for offroad.

In the end this was tire war what was way too expensive for non-sponsored drivers. I have not attended offroad races since ages but I think such cutting is not allowed these days and that's a good thing. If there are no limits, things like this kill the R/C sport.

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

V12 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:55 am Nothing special about cutting and glueing tires for the Worlds. This was done at a lot of races especially by factory drivers. Usually for converting rear tires to front tires. But there was not only about making narrower tires, I also have seen cutting tires for making smaller diameter. Don´t think of dual compound for offroad.
I remember cutting and glueing 1.5" tamiya size tires to fit RC10 1.9" wheels in 1987.

There where tire shenanigans in both the 1987 and 1989 world championships. Objectively the 87 worlds was more coincidence than anything else. The only tire that worked in 2WD was the Kyosho option House W-5032 pyramid blocks.
The tire was widely available to the public, but in short supply. Most of the top drivers had them available, obviously team Kyosho probably had a better supply.
Results 1-2-3 kyosho.

In 1989 The tire shenanigans where a different kettle of fish, the only tire that worked was the Yokomo Hotlaps TR-31 which I am not even sure was released to the general public as it required a 2.2" rim which nobody used at that time. The only team to whom these where available was Associatd/yokomo.
Result 1-2-3 Associated/yokomo

Maybe the results of the 87 and 89 worlds where for other reasons: car or drivers. Who knows! ;)

Bare in mind In the 80's this sport was regarded by many as model car racing, and for many the building and modification of the cars was a very important part of the hobby, this included the tires. Was this done to find a competitive edge? Absolutely!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I still do cut-n-shut front tires :)
Attachments
20151009_210848 (2).jpg
1444448840263.jpg
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com