Electric conversion Kyosho MP5

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

big_brian

Electric conversion Kyosho MP5

Post by big_brian »

Has anyone done an MP5 conversion lately? Trying to find a motor mount that would fit the MP5....

Lavigna

Re: Electric conversion Kyosho MP5

Post by Lavigna »

Lexster76 has done some conversions, but I am not sure if he has done a MP5. He should be a good source of information either way.

I look forward to seeing your build.

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

Thanks for the suggestion. I got the idea from Lexster76, but he had not done it on the MP5/MP6. As well he used a Kershaw mount which is no longer available as Kershaw is out out of business (?). Was hoping someone had done one recently. Trying to find a mount that will fit the buggy with minor mods.

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

I did find a conversion for the MP7.5 - but I think there was a major upgrade from the 6 to the 7.5. Got a question in to the supplier if it can be modified - but does anyone know how similar they are? Thanks

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Big Brian,
I didn't see your thread until today. Did you have any luck converting your MP5? I don't own an MP 7.5 but I think the mounts were different. I am considering an MP5 conversion myself.
I read somewhere that the owner (I believe it was Tim Kershaw?) passed away :( but I can't find the link to the page anymore.
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

I never did find a conversion. I bought a 7.5 conversion - which I think will fit with some mods. Havent progressed much further than that - but will keep you up to date as I get started,

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

I think someone did a Burns conversion as well. Used a MP7.5 conversion kit as well?

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

big_brian wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:36 am I think someone did a Burns conversion as well. Used a MP7.5 conversion kit as well?
Hi Big Brian,
sorry I have not been in the forum for quite a while and I forgot to set the notifications for this thread (I have selected that now).
Is this the Burns with the MP 7.5 conversion kit you were referring to? http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=751369

My Burns and T. Burns conversions are posted further down on the page. I skipped the MP7.5 kit due to the amount of additional fabrication that was needed, but it might be relatively close to MP5. Have you managed to make any progress over the past months?

I was thinking, perhaps you could ask a moderator to move this thread to the Kyosho section of the Forum? It is kind of hidden here, and I am sure it is a topic that would interest the Kyosho supporters in this forum too. Member K-Max is working on an MP5 rebuild there which looks amazing.

Keep posting!

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

Hi
I finally gave up unfortunately. I am selling off (or swap for MP7.5) my MP5 & MP6 rollers I have. Bought 2 used MP777 rollers and bought an electric conversion kit as well. As you know, parts are much easier to find for a MP7.5 conversion. I do have a couple of Inferno DX & 4WD I was thinking of converting - but I image conversion parts would even be harder to find. I don't think Kershaw is in business any more - they did make great kits? I think I will just do the MP7 conversions for now and maybe try the DX & 4WD's later. Thanks for replying!

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Big Brian,
ok that is a shame but I can understand why you are not pressing forward with it. Yes it will probably be harder to convert the classic Inferno models as the MP5/6 was much closer to the MP7.5 layout.
Unfortunately Dan Kershaw passed away a few years ago. Here is the obituary (you will need to be in the US to see it, or use a VPN).

https://lancasteronline.com/obituaries/dan-fischer/article_b09e4526-851b-5bcb-8189-d86e5afc91f2.html

He didn't make a kit for the classic Inferno, but he did have "universal" kits which generally required some modification either to the kit or the car, which is what I used for my Kyosho Burns and T. Burns. In the meantime you can find similar universal parts made by other suppliers.

Happy building!

big_brian

Post by big_brian »

Thanks. I did realize there were some conversion kits available but the ones I saw didn't look that good. Can you give me some links/suppliers and I may try to convert one of my MP6's. It does seem a shame to not try a conversion. I don't really want to try anything radical - as I dont think I have the skills - but I should be OK with at least minor mods! Thanks again Brian

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Hi Brian,
I am not to sure which to recommend for the MP5/6 at the moment as I have yet to make a conversion myself. I would try to get a used MP 7.5 conversion kit to start off with as it contains all the components one needs including a box for the receiver.

Otherwise the mount below is quite similar to the Kershaw one which I used for my Burns conversions. You will have to drill holes in the chassis for it to fit and also get a universal battery tray.

https://www.ebay.com/i/273620939079?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=273620939079&targetid=934793861976&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=200501&poi=&campaignid=10459841973&mkgroupid=104612009900&rlsatarget=pla-934793861976&abcId=2146002&merchantid=101692256&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv7L6BRDxARIsAGj-34pdYUBalvLoWs19HN5IjnPVgAc4Z7Xd089pu37AkChxyvvIMEc-JIUaAiWjEALw_wcB

The Top Cad conversion kit for the MP7.5 (there seem to be a few that are similar) might also be an option, but you would still need a box for the receiver.

https://sackvillerc.com/2014/02/05/kyosho-mp7-5-brushless-project-complete/

I have decided to post a thread in the Kyosho Section as I am interested in doing this conversion myself at a later date, and hope that one of the Kyosho fans may be able to help. In the mean time I will see if I can find someone on the European forums that can help.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45360

MikeP5

Post by MikeP5 »

I’m converting my original MP5 to brushless. Already got the harder part done (motor mount). As soon as I figure out how to share pictures here, I’ll show you!

This is the motor mount I used: https://m.banggood.com/1-or-8-Rc-Car-Off-Road-Vehicles-Truck-Nitro-Change-Brushless-Motor-Mount-Holder-Parts-For-Kyosho-HSP-Hobao-FS-Racing-p-1615165.html?rmmds=orderdetail

The holes were off, but not significantly, so I was able to just use a round file to extend the chassis holes a bit. I also had to 1.) cut that little metal square off the mount with a hack saw, and put a shim under the remaining factory center diff mount because it was an 8th inch raised after installing the metal motor mount. I just cut off an 8th inch from the scrapped diff mount in order to lift the remaining one.

Cutting the servo tray was easy.

MikeP5

Post by MikeP5 »

Photo attached showing progress.
Attachments
9040234C-D7A9-42B9-9ACD-5D535FBFA1DB.jpeg