RC10T Ebay Runner Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jeepnut24
Approved Member

RC10T Ebay Runner Project

Post by jeepnut24 »

I always wanted the RC10T. So, I made a rash decision and picked one up on Ebay. I didn't want to really mess to much with my childhood RC10 as it is almost new. This just seemed like a better way to have an RC10 to go drive and let my kids run. I would like to run lipo and brushless if I can make it work so I need to figure out the best way to make that happen. Nothing crazy powerful, but I would love the longer run times.

It has clearly been raced. There are a fair number of worn out parts, and a few bent turnbuckles. The best part, is the repaired gold RC10 motor plate. It was welded, ground down and painted at some point! However, the Red wheels have to go.

A couple question for the experts... What options do I have for upgrading the rear axles. I have spent several hours searching the forums and haven't found a clear answer that is still available for purchase. It seems like T4 axles might be the most likely available option?

Second, any suggestions on straightening the tub? It has a nice little kick up in the front.

Third, any suggestions on cleaning the old parts? The plan is a bath in simple green, and maybe peroxide?

Fourth, are there threaded shock bodies that would work?
Attachments
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3034.jpg
IMG_3033.jpg

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: RC10T Ebay Runner Project

Post by klavy69 »

T4 shocks and cvd's will work just fine for you.

to repair the tweaked tub will take a little finass . Taking it apart and having the tub supported on the front and back upside down and a size 10 boot with 180 pounds of pressure has always worked for me. Pushing it a little further than straight will work out good because it will snap back a little after you let the pressure off of it.

simple green works the best for me too when I clean up this stuff. I built a small parts washer and have a couple gallons running through it to clean this up and then wash with some Dawn dishwasher soap. If you are after the whitening then yes, peroxide the parts you are wanting to whiten but for what you are doing I would pry just skip that part myself.

brushless will be good on this with lipo. there are tons of options out there with lipo power and will get you longer run times and better useability. I would make sure to take the stealth apart and clean up the bearings or just replace them for that matter and freshen it up before running it too hard though myself.

Good luck and keep updates coming 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

klavy69 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 pm T4 shocks and cvd's will work just fine for you.
Thanks

Is that just the cvd kit, or is it the axles and the hub carriers?

Spent some time cleaning most of the plastic parts and taking inventory. The turnbuckles are mostly bent. The ball cups are toast. And one or two of the hinge pins are bent... And a fair amount of the hardware is gone. But all the parts are there other than the dust gasket, and I straightened out the tub... So its a start. There is some weird glue substance under the rear bulkhead. The red wheels will get stripped and dyed black I think.
Attachments
IMG_3040.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

jeepnut24 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 pm The red wheels will get stripped and dyed black I think.
Black is so commonplace. Keep the wheels red.
Something clever goes here...

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

ChisaiKuso wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 am
jeepnut24 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 pm The red wheels will get stripped and dyed black I think.
Black is so commonplace. Keep the wheels red.
Went with my favorite color... Green for this set. They were poorly painted, and are pretty scuffed up. Now they are dyed green and will be good for the old proline strikers I have for parking lot duty.

All the parts are cleaned up and going back together. Most of the new parts are ordered. Still not sure about the T4 setup in the back... I think the Stealth will be the last thing I rebuild. This takes me back more that 25 years!
Attachments
IMG_3041.jpg

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

jeepnut24 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 pm
klavy69 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 pm T4 shocks and cvd's will work just fine for you.
Thanks

Is that just the cvd kit, or is it the axles and the hub carriers?
The cvd kit is just the cvd assemblies but thats a good reminder. You'll need bearings since you have 1/4" axles now and the new ones will be 3/16" axles. If there are no problems with the hub carriers you will be good to go.

Todd

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

klavy69 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 am
The cvd kit is just the cvd assemblies but thats a good reminder. You'll need bearings since you have 1/4" axles now and the new ones will be 3/16" axles. If there are no problems with the hub carriers you will be good to go.

Todd
Thanks, I take it the wheels need changed out too. I want to get some one piece wheels anyway.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

jeepnut24 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 pm
klavy69 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 am

Todd
Thanks, I take it the wheels need changed out too. I want to get some one piece wheels anyway.
you can use the wheels but they will have some play between the different sizes. Best to put them aside and get some one piecers though... :wink:

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

klavy69 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:28 pm
you can use the wheels but they will have some play between the different sizes. Best to put them aside and get some one piecers though... :wink:
Thanks again, This is where Im getting lost. The vintage wheels are beat, and are clearly 1/4". They will work for parking lot duty, and the poor paint job is gone. The fronts won't be changed I don't think, just the back. I haven't really researched updating the front wheels. Not sure if its worth it or not...

But do I try and find later 3/16" wheels or maybe T2 or T3/T4 wheels? Looking at T4 wheels they are clearly a different size offset.
Attachments
IMG_3044.jpg

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

t4 wheels are same size and offset. Look different but aren't. Essentially not alot has changed with parts...just how they go together :wink:

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I liked the fluro red wheels, more fitting to the era.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

Parts are starting to show up... Still waiting on my KNK stainless hardware to get here. Just about ready to get my T4 upper and slipper, and Avid bearings are next. New motor mount is on its way too.

I had to get the carbon shock towers... :D I think they came from a members company? Vintage RC

The hinge pins I reused spent some time in my drill press are are now more or less polished. I had to replace the bent rear pins.

Oh and a bunch of new tools. Picked up a cross wrench with the ball end slot, and a several whia hex and nut drivers. Love german made tools.... 8)
Attachments
IMG_3051.jpg

jeepnut24
Approved Member

Post by jeepnut24 »

Put things together until I ran out of parts. I forgot how much fun it is to build these things. Im already looking for another one for my kids. I wish the tub was in better shape, but oh well... T4 upper shaft and slipper ordered up. Turns out one my mine was stripped so it made sense to get the slipper. It was fun trying to find my metric hex bits...
Attachments
IMG_3055.jpg
IMG_3054.jpg
IMG_3053.jpg

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Looking really nice. I have a lot of Wiha tools too!
Bum on Direct Deposit