Hop-up JRX2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Hop-up JRX2

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I don't have a camera of my own so I have to borrow a work colleagues when I need to post to the 'net. My housemate just got a camera so I'll try and borrow that if they are in later.

At the moment the chassis looks like a molded plastic Pro SE but I am returning it to the 5 link spec. as thats what I prefer.

The hop-ups I have so far are,

Lite-sink motor mount heatsink NEW
MIP transmission USED
Trinity Shocks NEW
Alloy Wheels (Possibly Duratrax?) NEW
Dialled Racing Aluminium A-arms NEW
RPM rear 5 link arms NEW

JRX Pro Front and Rear Shock Towers

In the pics the car has Kyosho option House Gold Shocks (which I loved). They were quite scuffed but would have polished up well. I read that you could strip anodizing with oven cleaner. So I whacked them in a bag of oven cleaner and checked every 5 mins to see they were ok. 30 mins later I whipped them out of the bag rinsed them off and found the aluminium had been eaten away and they were so pitted and corroded they were no longer functional. Insert expletives!

So that is my lesson learnt I hope no one else has to go through that.

P.S. I am always looking for more hop-ups :lol:

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

that bad boy needs a bath... :wink:

sucks about your oven cleaner experience. did you use the ezoff oven cleaner with the yellow top? i've used that to strip shocks and other stuff, checking the bag like you and didnt have the pitting problem. some areas were black, but it cleaned off.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

The R/C world is pretty small, I almost bought that Jrx Pro SE, the tranny is very interesting and rare, if I remember, it comes from the UK, doesn't it :?:

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

JRX2

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Yes. I am based in the UK and was the ebay seller of this item. Were you the person emailing me? If so then I'm sorry that I ended the auction early. :oops:

I didn't get enough interest :? in the car and ended the auction early before it sold for a very low amount.

I have since decided to restore it. If you are interested in the car's rare tranny and diff. then I can attempt to take some more detailed pics during the restoration. :D

I have a few questions though how do you find out the pitch of a spur gear to get the right pinion? How do you work out the correct gear ratio for a particular motor? How do you remove a slipper clutch as I have a couple of stuck ones?

Thanks and sorry again to all for ending the auction early!

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Oven cleaner

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

I don't think we can get the EZ-off brand in the UK, at least I haven't seen it available. I used another oven cleaner, it took a while to find one that claimed it was suitable for plastic, steel and aluminium (can't remember the brand off the top of my head). Although it turned out not to be suitable for alloy. Still can't believe it. :cry:

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: JRX2

Post by Asso_man! »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Yes. I am based in the UK and was the ebay seller of this item. Were you the person emailing me? If so then I'm sorry that I ended the auction early. :oops:

I didn't get enough interest :? in the car and ended the auction early before it sold for a very low amount.

I have since decided to restore it. If you are interested in the car's rare tranny and diff. then I can attempt to take some more detailed pics during the restoration. :D

I have a few questions though how do you find out the pitch of a spur gear to get the right pinion? How do you work out the correct gear ratio for a particular motor? How do you remove a slipper clutch as I have a couple of stuck ones?

Thanks and sorry again to all for ending the auction early!
Indeed I emailed you, but I was only interested in the tranny, but in the end I was about to buy the entire car and resell the remaining parts like you proposed... but when I made my mind, it was not there anymore :cry: Would be great to have some pics detailing the inside, just to compare it with a MIP tranny for the RC10...

The pitch on the Losi's buggy is usually 48 DP, but you can find 32 DP and even 64 DP (the smaller). As for the right ratio, I can't help you since I've never raced a Losi and the JRX2's manual is kind of laconic, only mentionning the ratios for the different Losi Revolution motors... You have to follow the trial and error method I'm afraid, unless anyone could back us up...

What's exactly stuck in your slipper clutch?

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Slipper clutch

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Sorry again Asso-man,

I have a transmission half (MIP RC10 if it makes a difference) which is completely diassembled except the top gear shaft is on one side of the transmission and the slipper clutch back plate and nut are on the otherside! So I can attach a spanner to the nut and turn but it only turns the gear (obviously).

Similarly I have the slipper clutch on the Losi JRX2 but if I try and undo it it turns the gear box gears and as it has a diff, gripping the wheels doesn't help.

I don't want to make some tool, just to take them off and risk scratching/bodging it up, so whats the normal removal method?

Oh and lastly the Van's Invent site lists a couple of bodies for the Losi JRX2 and also the Pro SE, aren't these cars different lengths? My two Losi chassis are at least, the moulded Pro chassis is longer than the graphite JRX2 one so how can the body fit both cars? Any ideas?

Cheers

Ed

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: Slipper clutch

Post by Asso_man! »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:Sorry again Asso-man,

I have a transmission half (MIP RC10 if it makes a difference) which is completely diassembled except the top gear shaft is on one side of the transmission and the slipper clutch back plate and nut are on the otherside! So I can attach a spanner to the nut and turn but it only turns the gear (obviously).

Similarly I have the slipper clutch on the Losi JRX2 but if I try and undo it it turns the gear box gears and as it has a diff, gripping the wheels doesn't help.

I don't want to make some tool, just to take them off and risk scratching/bodging it up, so whats the normal removal method?

Oh and lastly the Van's Invent site lists a couple of bodies for the Losi JRX2 and also the Pro SE, aren't these cars different lengths? My two Losi chassis are at least, the moulded Pro chassis is longer than the graphite JRX2 one so how can the body fit both cars? Any ideas?

Cheers

Ed
You should try to block the 2 rear wheels at the same time and then unlock the nut, try to spray first some degripping product (e.g. WD-40) on the nut... or disassemble the whole tranny and then try with two pairs of gripping pliers.

The Jrx2 chassis is indeed shorter (about 1/2 inch) than the JRX pro... I imagine you can adapt a JRX pro body to a JRX2 but not the contrary...

If you manage to get in touch with Van' Invent and order, could you please tell me because I tried at least 15 times to call them, and nobody ever answered the phone... :cry:

By the way, you've got PM :wink:

Chewbacca
Approved Member

hop ups...

Post by Chewbacca »

Hi I might have some useful things 4 you. All parts have also been offered to a member ´here interested in thy junior-T. ...

Chewie.
Attachments
RPM_wide.jpg
RPM rear arms + hubs TRUCK
RPM_wide.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
RPM_wide.jpg (39.41 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
MIP_CVD.jpg
MIP BUGGY CVDs H-arms -> no idea if they'll fit 5-link...
MIP_CVD.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
MIP_CVD.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Robinson.jpg
Robinson Racing CAD milled arms and hubs, TRUCK width!!
Robinson.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Robinson.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
*** POWDER - KING ***

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Chewbacca's parts

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Thanks for the offer of parts. I've replied about the MIP, CVD's as a PM. Cheers

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Question about front wheel bearings

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Hi guys,

I have a set of alloy wheels with Tamiya size bearings which I'd like to fit to this car. I have found some Tamiya to RC10 bearing convertors (basically some shims) however I don't have any RC10 bearings and was wondering, is the Losi front wheel bearing the same size as an RC10? If so I have some Losi bearings and would then be able to fit them in the wheels and onto the JRX2.

Thanks for any help, its much appreciated.

Cheers

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

losi and rc10 front wheel bearings are both 3/8 x 5/16, but the rc10 bearings are flanged, were the losi bearings are unflanged.

if you need bearing adapters for the losi bearings, you can use these. rc10 adapters are in these, too.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN055&P=M

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

scr8p wrote:losi and rc10 front wheel bearings are both 3/8 x 5/16, ....
you mean 3/8 x 3/16 ... :wink:
*** POWDER - KING ***

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Reoffer of sale

Post by Chewbacca »

So, I've upgraded my juniorT's tranny with bearings, will add yellow buggy wheels, and upgrade with a slipper - clutch, probably RC10

So as a buggy it will be a de-facto JRX Pro SE with the molded chassis. MIP CVDs .... If I add all the parts shown above It can be converted to JRX-T / LXT ....

Anyone interested?

Oh yeah, the truck / buggy is in THIS thread.
*** POWDER - KING ***

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Chewbacca wrote:you mean 3/8 x 3/16 ... :wink:
ya, that's what i mean. :lol: